9800Re: [HurdyGurdyForum] Dare I retune upwards?

  • Neil Brook
    Mar 14, 2016
      Hi Richard
      All the Chris Eaton gurdies I've seen are very strongly built so I doubt there will be any problems although the volume of the drone will increase but can probably stand a shim or two.
      Best regards
      Neil

      On 13 Mar 2016, at 19:08, Richard York richard@... [HurdyGurdyForum] <HurdyGurdyForum@...> wrote:

      Thanks Neil,

      So raising all the drone strings won't be putting too much tension on the instrument, then? It's an Eaton Pajot model. I don't know what the strings are, other than their gauges, as it came to me 2nd hand & strung.

      Best wishes,
      Richard

      On 13/03/16 16:17, Neil Brook nwbrook@... [HurdyGurdyForum] wrote:

      Hi Richard
      The ideal solution is to fit lighter strings but keeping the same strings on should not pose any structural problems in the short term. You will find the tone more strident so may need to shim . As you say, simply playing the g tuned string in key of a with drones at e or a will work better and give you some leading notes for free.
      Cheers
      Neil

      On 13 Mar 2016, at 10:17, Richard York richard@... [HurdyGurdyForum] <HurdyGurdyForum@...> wrote:

      I'm prepared to be shot down in flames for even asking this but .... do I dare tune a nice G gurdy up into A or is that completely unfair on the structure?
      I'm making an arrangement of something that really wants to be on A, for the other instruments available.

      I happily move occasional harp strings up and down by half tones  but would never think of retuning the entire instrument. I've seen what happens to a cheap nylon strung guitar (not mine) when someone tried to put wire strings on it, and it was wasn't a pretty sight, and it was never going to be a guitar again.
      Gurdies are very differently structured, however.

      Alternatively, would it be unkind to retune drones and trompette string but play the chanters in A rather than retuning them? Or is this this still courting disaster? I'd not wish to risk an instrument!

      Any well informed advice grateful received, please.

      I may just have to take cover at this point :-)

      Thanks,
      Richard.

    • Show all 7 messages in this topic