New tuning and string question

  • arle_lommel
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 29, 2010
      (Apologies for the cross-posting for those who are on the other HG list.)

      I have a three chanter instrument and after reading a tuning description by Simon Wascher a few days ago I have decided I want to try the following chanter tuning on my C/G instrument:

      G (below middle C)
      g (above middle c)
      d' (one octave above middle C)

      I currently have the first two strings (my current tuning is G g g, all in gut), so I really only *need* to change one string.

      So the first question I have is for any recommendations for what might be good as that high D. I'd like a relatively inexpensive string to try this tuning out on before I invest too much in the tuning.

      My second question is for recommendations for what would work as a good lower chanter. I've been using a gut string provided by Balázs Nagy, but I find it a little "soft" for my taste and would prefer something a bit higher tension to get a crisper response and less bending (I don't mind some bendability, but this is just a bit much for my taste). I still want the lower chanter sound (I love having the almost trombone-like quality it gives).

      So any suggestions on these two items?

      -Arle
    • arle_lommel
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 29, 2010
        One quick correction. I was off an octave. My desired tuning is:

        g g' d''

        -Arle
      • neilbrook
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 29, 2010
          Those who have tried my "wonderstring " rate it highly for the  d" . For low g , I'd recommend Corelli Crystal violin 4th.
          Regards
          Neil

[...]

        • Martyn Robinson
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 29, 2010

            On Neil’s recommendation last year I changed one of my two gut chanters  (both tuned to g) to the Corelli Crystal string and tuned it one octave lower (G) and it sounds fantastic. What made it even better was the expression on the face of the fellow in the Sydney Violin Centre, who sold it to me, and his comments = “We don’t normally sell Corelli Crystal strings as they have a nasty nasal quality to the sound which I imagine would be ideal for a hurdy gurdy’!

            I recommend the Corelli Crystals too.

            This e-mail message has been scanned for Viruses and Content and cleared by MailMarshal

            The Australian Museum.

            The views in this email are those of the user and do not necessarily reflect the views of the Australian Museum. The information contained in this email message and any accompanying files is or may be confidential and is for the intended recipient only. If you are not the intended recipient, any use, dissemination, reliance, forwarding, printing or copying of this email or any attached files is unauthorised. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete it and notify the sender. The Australian Museum does not guarantee the accuracy of any information contained in this e-mail or attached files. As Internet communications are not secure, the Australian Museum does not accept legal responsibility for the contents of this message or attached files.

          • arle_lommel
            Message 5 of 7 , 5 Apr 11:51
              I just got some of Neil's wonderstrings in the mail. I tried cottoning according to his instructions (5 mm on the bridge side of the wheel, the rest bare) and had the string usable and pretty much pitch stable within about 15 minutes of putting it on the instrument. It works great in the G g d'' tuning. I wrote to Neil and told him that far from having a learning curve, it's actually been one of the easiest strings I've tried to get up and in tune. I have noticed that I'll probably need to cut a new set of tangents for the string in the long run because the current ones were meant for a string in open g and stop just a bit short, but if I'm just a little bit aggressive in my attack, it's not a problem for now. (I've considered setting this instrument up with metal tangents to address this sort of problem, but the price to replace 69 tangentsâ€"about £ 170â€"has deterred me thus far.)

              -Arle

              --- In HurdyGurdyForum@..., neilbrook <nwbrook@...> wrote:

              > Those who have tried my "wonderstring " rate it highly for the d" . For low g , I'd recommend Corelli Crystal violin 4th.
              > Regards
              > Neil
            • MARK VEEVERS
              Message 6 of 7 , 6 Apr 01:37
                Hello Arle,
                Neil sorted some of my tangents out for me about a year ago. I asked him for advice because some of them weren't quite reaching the strings positively enough and causing a slight buzz. He suggested that I go to Maplin models and electronics supplies. In my case Pinstone street in Sheffield. To buy some heat shrink plastic tubing. Brilliant. It does the job beautifully and has prevented wear on the tangents. They look nice too.
                Cheers Mark.

                --- In HurdyGurdyForum@ yahoogroups. co.uk, neilbrook <nwbrook@... > wrote:

                > Those who have tried my "wonderstring " rate it highly for the d" . For low g , I'd recommend Corelli Crystal violin 4th.
                > Regards
                > Neil

              • arle_lommel
                Message 7 of 7 , 6 Apr 06:46
                  Thanks Mark. I've actually done exactly that for one problematic tangent already to fix a pitch instability problem I was running into because of poor contact (I did it two days ago) and may try it on that entire d'' row.

                  -Arle