RE: [HurdyGurdyForum] Trompette question

  • Stephen Evans
    Message 1 of 6 , 23 Apr 06:56
      Hi,

      It sounds from your description that the tirant peg isn't giving you much of a range of adjustment. You could try reducing the diameter of the last 5-6mm of the peg to about 2-3mm. Allow most of the cord to wrap around the non-reduced section, then lead the cord to the tapered end as you tighten. In this way, tightening/loosening the peg will adjust the tirant tension much more finely, giving you a larger range of control.
      You might also check the contact area between the foot of the chein and the soundboard. With a small strip of 800 grit wet and dry between the foot and the contact area, with the grit side in contact with the chein foot, exert a small amount of pressure on the chein as you withdraw the paper. Repeat a few times; this ensures contact all over the foot. Rosin on the foot can also improve the tone.
      Hope this helps.

      Steve

      To: HurdyGurdyForum@...
      From: mark@...
      Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2012 08:50:49 +0000
      Subject: [HurdyGurdyForum] Trompette question

      Hi,
      A newbie here, with what might be a newbie question, please be patient.

      I've just finished building my first Gurdy, from the Muskett Pajot drawings. My problem is with the trompette: I can set it up so that it starts with a flick of the wrist, but it is then seems very reluctant to stop, and is still buzzing at the end of a revolution. If I slacken the tirant slightly, then I can't start it. Is this normal, is it a question of technique, or is there something that might need adjusting on the instrument?

      Hopefully I'll be able to get to an event in the summer to get some personal guidance, but at the moment I'm working on my own here and have never played a Gurdy before, and don't really know what I'm doing, so any advice would be very much appreciated.

      One thing I'm wondering about - Doreen Muskett's Method says the trompette string should be parallel to the soundboard. Mine isn't, it is about 10mm high at the nut end. Would this make a difference and could it be the cause of my problems? I'm reluctant to re-locate the nut just to try it on the off chance.

      Many thanks.

    • markmitch123
      Message 2 of 6 , 23 Apr 09:35
        Thank you both, I'll make another chien and play about with it a bit. Reducing the diameter of the tirant peg also makes a lot of sense.

        But the comment about notching the chien so that the string is actually pressing on the wheel leads to another query - should I do the same thing with the other drones? at the moment the top of the bridges are flat, so that when I engage a drone the string is straight from tailpiece to nut, just touching the wheel across its width. Should the bridges be notched to hold the string in, so that it as actually pressing on the wheel, in the same way that you describe for the trompette?
      • Neil Brook
        Message 3 of 6 , 23 Apr 10:06
          On 23 Apr 2012, at 17:35, markmitch123 wrote:

          Thank you both, I'll make another chien and play about with it a bit. Reducing the diameter of the tirant peg also makes a lot of sense.

          But the comment about notching the chien so that the string is actually pressing on the wheel leads to another query - should I do the same thing with the other drones? at the moment the top of the bridges are flat, so that when I engage a drone the string is straight from tailpiece to nut, just touching the wheel across its width. Should the bridges be notched to hold the string in, so that it as actually pressing on the wheel, in the same way that you describe for the trompette?

          Best regards

          Neil Brook

        • markmitch123
          Message 4 of 6 , 23 Apr 13:57