Dare I retune upwards?

  • Richard York
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 13, 2016
      I'm prepared to be shot down in flames for even asking this but .... do I dare tune a nice G gurdy up into A or is that completely unfair on the structure?
      I'm making an arrangement of something that really wants to be on A, for the other instruments available.

      I happily move occasional harp strings up and down by half tones  but would never think of retuning the entire instrument. I've seen what happens to a cheap nylon strung guitar (not mine) when someone tried to put wire strings on it, and it was wasn't a pretty sight, and it was never going to be a guitar again.
      Gurdies are very differently structured, however.

      Alternatively, would it be unkind to retune drones and trompette string but play the chanters in A rather than retuning them? Or is this this still courting disaster? I'd not wish to risk an instrument!

      Any well informed advice grateful received, please.

      I may just have to take cover at this point :-)

      Thanks,
      Richard.
    • Neil Brook
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 13, 2016
        Hi Richard
        The ideal solution is to fit lighter strings but keeping the same strings on should not pose any structural problems in the short term. You will find the tone more strident so may need to shim . As you say, simply playing the g tuned string in key of a with drones at e or a will work better and give you some leading notes for free.
        Cheers
        Neil

[...]

      • Martin Lodahl
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 13, 2016
          Well, I've certainly done it, with a D/G instrument.  I just retune the drones I'm planning to use, and leave the rest alone.  I've also used a clothespin as a capo, but the tone isn't as full as retuning the string.

          Martin

          --
          Martin Lodahl of Auburn, CA USA
          Musician, Motorcyclist, UNIX Pro