Re: [MVDincavaliers] question in re vetmedin

  • Linda Haskell
    Message 1 of 13 , May 1, 2008
      Hello,
      I have had the exact opposite effect from Vetmedin!  My doga ate while on Vetmedin.  Without it I don't know what I would do and they would do also!  I have 4 dogs all on Vetmedin 2.5mg 2x day, Lasix 50 mg /day, Enalapril 10mg/day, Cialas, 10 mg/day, Neurontin 200-300mg/Day ( for SM) Previcox 57mg/day (arthritis).

      Vetmedin has also extended their lives, I'm convinced. Before I was available, my dogs weren't interested in eating as well.  I had to finger feed baby food to Toby.  I would put the kibble in the baby food-which worked!  He ate a little at a time.
      Thanks,

      Linda Haskell

      Message 2 of 13 , May 1, 2008
        Sonja, sorry to hear of your lastest 'challenges.' Though not on all
        the same meds, our Cocker Spaniel in late stages of congestive heart
        failure refused to eat for a time and we gave him his pills in peanut
        butter (which he ate) and some rice and ground beef with carrot. I
        think the carrot make it sweeter and more appetizing. He seemed to
        adjust to the meds, but his diet was mostly the rice/ground
        beef/carrot mixture til he left us. Good luck! Your cavalier needs
        that nourishment and it's finding the right combo that sits well. :-)

        Mary
      • Christina Williams
        Message 3 of 13 , May 2, 2008

          Sonja,

          When Claudia went through the same thing I feed her oatmeal with her supplements and she was fine with that. I hand fed her for first day...then she gradually picked up...

          Christina

          Message 4 of 13 , May 2, 2008
            An old drug that seems little used these days is Millophyline which
            greatly helps breathing, especially at night.
            Warm wishes,
            Ruth

            --- In MVDincavaliers@..., "sonja" <njpetsitter@...> wrote:

            > last night my cavalier kept me up all night with her coughing which
            > was markedly worse than it has been...
            >
            > this is not a problem
            >
            > i took her to the vet this morning and they changed her meds to
            > enalapril, 7.5mgs in the a.m. along with lasix 12.5 and vetmedin, 1/2
            > tab; mid day, 12.5 mg of lasix, dinner, 12.5 mg of lasix and 1/2 pill
            > of vetmedin
            >
            > she has lost her appetite which i see is a result of the vetmedin
            > according to the results that came up on google...
            >
            > the vet is closed now..i will call in the morning
            >
            > she will not look at food, not hamburger, not meat, chicken,
            > nothing...
            >
            > does anyone have any suggestions?
            >
            > thank you,
            >
            > sonja in new jersey

          • Anita Cooper
            Message 5 of 13 , May 2, 2008

              Hi Sonya, Millophylline was used in the early days they resembled red smarties and did indeed help with the breathing especially at night. Both Henry and Albert my MVD boys had this drug, however it was not available for Ellie. Enapril had taken over together with  Vetmedin and Lasik, they did the job but I am not sure sure why Millophylline was not continued with as it did seem to relieve the breathing problems.

              I am not sure whether it is still available, but it does not harm to ask about it.

              Anita and the girls

            • Ruth Smith
              Message 6 of 13 , May 3, 2008
                Hi Anita, yes Millophyline is still available, luckily my vet uses it. My old girl who is almost 15yrs old and suffering from kennel cough :( has had restful nights with the aid of two Millophyline, likewise my old boy with MVD has them when his breathing is not too good and lately is on one a night permanently. They do help enormously.
                Warm wishes,
                Ruth
                FREE Animations for your email - By IncrediMail! Click Here!
              • Diane Hull
                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 2, 2008
                  I seem to be having a problem receiving posts.  I have not received any since early May.  Can anyone suggest what the problem might be.  I just realized I hadn't received anything, been busy

                  Thank you

                  Diane.

                • Elaine Ross
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 3, 2008
                    I haven't either, now you mention it, I just thought things were very quiet!

                    Elaine

                    On 02/07/2008, Diane Hull <snuffles33@...> wrote:

                    I seem to be having a problem receiving posts.  I have not received any since early May.  Can anyone suggest what the problem might be.  I just realized I hadn't received anything, been busy

                    Thank you

                    Diane.

                  • Mary
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jul 3, 2008
                      I HAVE received mine. (There hasn't been much activity lately,
                      though!) Have you checked your SPAM folder? If you list
                      MVDincavaliers@... in your Contact list that should
                      prevent them going into your Spam folder.

                      Mary McCrea
                      Cavaliers are Kings

                      --- In MVDincavaliers@..., Diane Hull <snuffles33@...>
                      wrote:

                      > I seem to be having a problem receiving posts.  I have not
                      received any since early May.  Can anyone suggest what the problem
                      might be.  I just realized I hadn't received anything, been busy

                      > Thank you
                      >
                      > Diane.

                    • Elaine Ross
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jul 3, 2008
                        Yeah I check it all the time, nothing in there.  I'll try and check the site to see if there's anything I've missed :)
                        Elaine

                        wrote:

                        > I seem to be having a problem receiving posts.  I have not
                        received any since early May.  Can anyone suggest what the problem
                        might be.  I just realized I hadn't received anything, been busy

                        > Thank you
                        >
                        > Diane.

                      • Anita Cooper
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jul 3, 2008

                          Hello everyone, I am still here but must admit there has been little activity on the list of late which I see as a positive thing. During the summer months folks are on holiday and do not tend to post a lot.  If anyone would like to post a topic please feel free as long as its MVD related LOL Updates on treatments that work are welcomed also.

                          Best wishes Anita