My Redford has a murmur at 9

  • cheryls_favorites
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 16, 2008
      Hello. I joined to see if I could learn about anything to do for my
      Redford. He is 9 and was just diagnosed by the University of Fl in
      Gainesville that he has a grade 4. The cardiologist put him on Anapril.
      Can anyone tell me from your experiences what to expcet.
      Thanks.
    • susan shidler
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 18, 2008
        Hi Cheryl,

        Redford was just diagnosed?  At 9?  That's awesome!!  He's on the appropriate meds and will probably have many years ahead of him.  If you are not already, start giving him 30mg of CoQ 10 daily.  Add 400mg of vit E to that.  Vitamin Shoppe makes a one capsule combo of that.  Also no salt diet.  Make sure his exercize is limited and don't let him get too hot or too cold.  Otherwise, he'll be fine!

        Contact me privately if you want any other info.  Let me know how you are!!

        Sue

        Susan Shidler
        SevenWoods Cavaliers
        Arbonne International Independent Consultant
        Mettawa, Illinois USA
      • Elaine Ross
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 19, 2008
          Hi

          Everyone's experiences are different.  Some dogs deteriorate quickly, others seemingly stabilise for long periods (like our Lucy, who has been in CHF for 2.5 years!).  So what happened to our dogs won't necessarily happen to Redford.  All you can do is take each day as it comes.  It's fantastic news though that Redford was the ripe age of 9 before he was diagnosed!!

          I'll tell you our story, it's long, but hopefully useful!

          Our Lucy was diagnosed with a murmur aged about 6.  It started at a low grade and didn't move for a long time (she was panting a lot, and that's how the murmur was discovered).  Over the years there was a slight deterioration but nothing more than you'd expect.  In July 2006 (aged 8) we took her to see a cardiologist (her first time) and he said that her heart was enlarged, she was in CHF and they could change her diuretics (by this time she was on quite the cocktail of drugs!) but once they maxed out on those, there was nothing they could do.  He expected her to have maybe 6 months or so.

          Well, 6 months later, she was back.  She was very well, and hardly any different!  There has been some deterioration since July 2006, but nothing unexpected, and still very slow.  The cardiologist calls her "my bionic dog". :)  We are about to make an appointment for January 2009 - and she turns 11 on 16th December this year.  I think it brightens his day when he sees her, and it's quite funny really, her toddling along, looking like a right little fraud. :)

          Every so often, she'll have a "blip".  She'll start coughing more, and we need to increase the diuretics.  Then after a few days, we can reduce them again and she's fine.  The medication is very finely balanced ... the diuretics need to be a high enough dose to do their jobs, but low enough to minimise stress on the kidneys.  We're still treading that line and her kidneys are coping so far ... although eventually that won't be the case.  Our cardiologist has advised us that it's quite possible that Lucy's heart will hold out but ultimately it will be her kidneys that fail.  We'll just have to wait and see.

          Her drugs at this point are:

          Vetmedin 2.5mg, twice daily
          Fortekor 5mg, once daily
          Spironolactone 25mg, twice daily
          Frusemide 20mg, twice daily
          Digoxin 62.5mcg, 0.5 twice daily
          Cod liver oil capsule

          To look at Lucy she's the picture of health!  Sure she sleeps a lot, but otherwise, she's the same eccentric, adorable dog she's always been. :)

          Things we think have had a positive effect - keeping her weight right, giving her the medication exactly as the directions describe, regular cardiologist visits, minimising stress, no strenuous exercise and being very vigilant about changes in her condition, or anything health related.  Anything happens out of the ordinary and we take her straight to the vet - and cardiologist if need be.

          Good luck with Redford and let us know if there's anything we can help you with :)

          Elaine & Lucy

          2008/11/17 cheryls_favorites <cheryls_favorites@...>

          Hello. I joined to see if I could learn about anything to do for my
          Redford. He is 9 and was just diagnosed by the University of Fl in
          Gainesville that he has a grade 4. The cardiologist put him on Anapril.
          Can anyone tell me from your experiences what to expcet.
          Thanks.

        • Mary McCrea
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 21, 2008
            Cheryl, I'm so sorry to hear about Redford, but now you've got a diagnosis..and a treatment plan.  We lost our beloved Cocker Spaniel to CHF over ten years ago, but even then with available drugs and treatment, we had him almost four good years after initial diagnosis (which was rather late into the CHF when he developed that tell-tale mid-night cough).  Please keep us posted on Redford!

            Elaine and Lucy, I'm still lurking about here, having joined the group when we thought our Tri had MVD.  I appreciate your taking the time and effort to spell out so well what your journey has been and the medications and doses given.  This kind of information is very helpful to those who will be facing MVD and arm us with facts we'll need to help make wise decisions on behalf our lovely Cavaliers.  (I consider that, having two Cavaliers and the extremely likely possibility one or both will develop MVD, we will need to make these same decisions ourselves in the next few years.) Thanks!

            Mary
            CavaleirsAreKings

          • Elaine Ross
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 21, 2008
              Thanks Mary - I'm always happy to talk about Lucy, all I need is an opportunity! LOL!!

              Elaine

              On 21/11/2008, Mary McCrea <cavaliersarekings@...> wrote:

              Elaine and Lucy, I'm still lurking about here, having joined the group when we thought our Tri had MVD.  I appreciate your taking the time and effort to spell out so well what your journey has been and the medications and doses given.  This kind of information is very helpful to those who will be facing MVD and arm us with facts we'll need to help make wise decisions on behalf our lovely Cavaliers.  (I consider that, having two Cavaliers and the extremely likely possibility one or both will develop MVD, we will need to make these same decisions ourselves in the next few years.) Thanks!

              Mary
              CavaleirsAreKings

              .

            • Carol Theisen
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 21, 2008
                I have to thank all of you for the support and information you have shared!  We just got refills of Trina's meds from Walmart because of your suggestions and it will save us over $60 a month.  I would never have guessed that we could get her meds from Walmart.

                Trina continues to hang in there.  She is due for her 6 month check up and tests.  Her cough and breathing seems worse, but she still sleeps through the night.  She goes for a daily walk, and  her appetite is great.  I hope she will be with us as long as possible.

                Carol

                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 29, 2008
                  Elaine, glad to hear Lucy's still doing well.  Roxie is also "hanging in there" and she
                  was diagnosed at the same time as Lucy.  We take it one day at a time and are
                  just so thankful for our blessings.  (:  Terri