Re: [MVDincavaliers] Comfort measures?

  • Debra Orenstein
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 1, 2010
      Re: [MVDincavaliers] Comfort measures? Thanks so much, Karla, for the very thoughtful suggestions!   We’ll work our way through the ones we’re not already doing – so far, Ollie seems to really enjoy the massage....come to think of it, it wouldn’t be a bad idea for me, either....

      Best,
      Debbie

      On 8/31/10 4:53 PM, "KCD" <doglovercentral@...> wrote:

      Dear Debbie,

      I read your message twice, trying to think of anything else I did for my dog.  I have been exactly where you are now and constantly wondering what else I could do.  I thought of a couple of things we did.

      One was, I took him on wagon rides.  My younger Cavalier wanted to walk and when my CHF dog was too tired to do walks, he would go into his wagon.  It was well cushioned.  He just loved it.  In the evenings or early mornings we would go.  He loved it so much he would jump right back in after taking him back from a long 'walk', always wanting to go further.    Another thing we did to satisfy his love for adventure was to drive him to a shady park and let him walk just a bit- sniff around a lot, maybe rest by a tree while I read- but we had a rule to never do this unless the temps were below 75 degrees.  He loved going in the car and getting out to see where he was.  He could hardly wait to get out, with his tail constantly wagging.

      I bought him a CoolBed II.  It is a bed you fill with water- much like a water bed.  You can buy sheets and a bolster for it.  I was so happy to find him there the first day we got it.  He was very comfortabale on that bed.  I would sometimes refrigerate it so that it would be extra cool.  He moved from the cool ceramic tiles to the CoolBed after we got it.

      I made him his favorite foods and he knew when it was dinner time, as he would go to the kitchen and start barking.  I tried to make eating something he enjoyed more than ever- especially since he was sleeping more and not going out as much.

      My dog also did not like being touched on his chest and neck area- my daughter would give him massages over the rest of his body.  She thought it really relaxed him.  We also trimmed his fur quite a bit as that helped to cool him off.  We wet him down sometimes on warmer days before he went out- when in the 90s, even a few min. is a lot- it helped to keep him cool for that short time.

      And one last thing- he loved cool fresh water.  We were filling his multiple bowls several times a day.  We also boiled chicken to make sodium free broth, and froze it in small aliquots.  He loved to 'snack' on broth.  It is so important to keep them hydrated and not always easy in this hot weather- even if they are just going out for a few minutes at a time.

      The weather should be cooling down shortly- he loved laying in the cool grass in the evening.  My dog would lay out there as long as someone was there with him.  I think cool air in general makes them feel better.

      I wish you all the best with your beloved Ollie.  And hope even one of these suggestions is something you are not already doing- and something that helps.

      Karla