Skin Yeast Infection

  • kasiact
    Message 1 of 5 , 20 Jun
      Thank you,  we have been using medicated shampoo as well, but it only works for a day or so. We went to the vet yet again today and they think he has severe arthritis that is causing his immune system to lower and the yeast is attacking him. Got an anti fungal shot and altered his diet.

      Thanks,
      Kat

      From: "esetters esetters44224@... [MVDincavaliers]" <MVDincavaliers@...>
      Date: 6/19/17 8:08 AM (GMT-05:00)
      To: MVDincavaliers@...

      Bob,

      Even though it's been quite a few years, I still remember how scared we were when Cody had his first episode of vestibular disease.  We thought for sure his sugar levels had dropped and tried giving him Karo syrup, but it didn't do a thing.  So, we rushed him over to the ER and thankfully his internal med dr was in that day.  She checked his glucose levels and determined it wasn't that, and then diagnosed the vestibular disease.  They also had a neurologist there, and he ran some tests and agreed it was vestibular disease.

      What is scary is that, for some reason, some vets don't recognize that this is what is going on and tell people that the dog has had a stroke and probably won't recover.  I remember another person in a group I belong to going thru this with his dog and was considering putting the dog down.  Thankfully, some of us on the list had experienced this before and suggested he hold off on making any decisions.  The dog did recover within a few days.  That's not to say that it couldn't be a sign of something more serious, but best to hold off on any decisions until the dog has a chance to recover.  It's something that most people really have never heard of before and because the symptoms come on so suddenly and are so dramatic, it can be very scary to watch your dog going thru it.  It's almost like they're obsessed with having to walk, but all they can do is go in circles and can't keep their balance and keep falling.

      I hope Georgie is doing better now.

      Mary

      Message 2 of 5 , 20 Jun
        Hi Kat,

        You mentioned changing the diet and I wondered if you have tried turkey instead of chicken?  Also, are you feeding low glycemic vegetables?  No potatoes or carrots.

        Is this something that just started recently?  One of our Cavaliers had a yeast infection and mange when we adopted her, and it took about a year to clear it up.  Not even sure what ended up working because we tried so many different things.  One thing I learned was that she was highly allergic to flea bites.  One time, I took her to a dog event and I think she picked up fleas there.  My others dogs ended up with them and no one had much of a reaction beyond the usual scratching, even though they had more fleas than Lucy.  I only saw one or two on her the whole time we were in the process of getting rid of them, and that was checking her every day.  But she was a mess all over again.

        One thing I would suggest, and this isn't something I used on Lucy because I didn't know about it, is a product called PetSilver Wound Spray.  I learned about it from someone who has a rescue and she uses it for various skin issues.  You can find it on Amazon.  It's not cheap, but I've used it on my dogs (and actually on myself for a sunburn), and it does seem to help.  Logan, my Cavalier, had a little wart on the top of his head that he was scratching at and causing it to bleed.  My vet said there really wasn't anything to do, so I started spraying it a couple of times a day and the thing totally went away.  You can buy it at Chewy.com or Amazon.  I bought the big bottle because there wasn't much difference in price.  Not sure about Amazon, but Chewy might let you return it if it doesn't work.  Have never returned anything there, but their customer service has been good with other issues I've had.

        Also, could he possibly have mange?

        Hope you are able to find something that helps!

        Mary

        Message 3 of 5 , 21 Jun
          Thank you Mary. The vet decided that it's arthritis that's weakening his immune system, he got some anti fungal shot and will treat for the arthritis. I'm not 100% convinced that that is the final answer but I'm crossing my fingers

          Message 4 of 5 , 21 Jun
            Yes, I did see where you posted that.  I'm not a vet so certainly can't say it's not the arthritis, but I have never heard of a connection between a yeast infection and arthritis.

            I also wanted to mention that I would be very leery of any vaccinations, flea treatments, etc. for your dog until he has recovered from the infection and would be looking for natural ways to boost his immunity.  You might want to consider trying to find a holistic vet, if you're open to that, or maybe just get a second opinion from another vet.

            Mary

            Message 5 of 5 , 21 Jun
              I completely agree about the vaccines and all that. We used to go to holistic doctor and she told us to stop so we did like 3 years ago. The arthritis is causing his immune system to be down, auto immune system disease, and the yeast just attacked. It makes sense the way the vet explained it. I'm hoping that this is the case because we can control it with meds. Wish me luck, I'll keep you posted.