Visiting Alternative Therapy Vet Tomorrow

  • Judithwm@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 5 , 20 Jul
      Greetings Cavalier Friends/Parents/Owners,

      Once again I solicit your input. Tomorrow we will have an appointment with a vet who practices alternative therapy. She is employee of
      a well-known and reputable veterinary specialty clinic where my dog had 2 surgeries in the past. So far we have seen vets who practiced traditional Western therapy.
      What should we expect at the visit? Is there a difference between the lengths of healing time if a patient receives alternative therapy vs. Western meds therapy? The reasons for the visit are to curb/mitigate the hacking sound that my Cavalier gives sometimes when he lays too long (not coughing due to CF) and hind leg weakness. My Cavalier is 11 years old with Grade 2 MVD.

      If you have experience with alternative therapy please respond.

      Thank you in advance.

      Regards,

      Judith W. Mills
    • bwexler2001
      Message 2 of 5 , 21 Jul
        Wow, That's a loaded question! I've taken my KC to at least four different alternative / holistic veterinary doctors and they all practice different combinations of complementary medicine ranging from acupuncture, Chinese and Western herbs, supplements and homeopathy. Holistic medicine focuses on improving the immune systems response to disease rather than suppressing or managing symptoms.  My Cavalier Georgie is going on 14yrs old, besides for the fact she can't hear, she is loosing her teeth, has cataracts, she has rubber toe grips so she doesn't slip on the hard wood floors and her heart sounds like a washing machine, she still looks and acts like a puppy. One thing to keep in mind is that alternative medicine could end up costing you significantly more than traditional medicine.
        Btw- The coughing sounds like it's due to an enlarged heart pressing on the trachea while he is lying down. My KC coughs like that in the morning, I sometimes give her some homeopathic honey cough syrup, and for hind leg weakness ask about Kan Essentials Hips and Knees Formula. Standard Process also has some excellent products.
        Good Luck!

        ---In MVDincavaliers@..., <judithwm@...> wrote :

[...]

      • esetters
        Message 3 of 5 , 21 Jul
          Judith,

          I think it's really hard to know what to expect with an alternative therapy vet (or even a regular vet) unless you know someone who has been there.  We've taken our dogs to several over the years, and they were all different.  I've gone in expecting one thing and then found it wasn't that way.

          Since this vet is in with a Western therapy clinic, he/she may not be fully into holistic treatments.  Again, that's hard to say for sure.  Even though none of the holistic vets we have used have been associated with other vets, there has been a big difference between them.  Some are totally into holistic treatments and don't prescribe ANY meds.  Others have been kind of 1/2 and 1/2.  And the fees charged have been all over the place also.  The totally holistic one charges the most and we've ended up sometimes with things that I felt weren't helpful or necessary.  You might have to watch for that.

          As for the treatments, it generally takes longer to see progress.  Maybe if they recommend something for the cough, you might see improvement right away.  But I'm guessing with the hind leg weakness, it may take a while because they're not treating the symptoms - they're treating the cause, as a rule.  If something is painful, they generally aren't just treating the pain (like a regular vet might do).  They are treating the cause of the pain and possibly the pain as well.  But the idea is to treat the cause and then there will be no pain.

          BTW, if you have an 11 yr old Cavalier with a grade 2 murmur, you're very lucky!  Hope the appointment goes well.  Keep us posted.

          Mary

        • bwexler2001
          Message 4 of 5 , 21 Jul
            One thing I forgot to mention is that at 14yrs old my Cavalier is not on ANY traditional heart medications except Amlodipine for blood pressure, just supplements and herbs.  We also have recently taken her off Lasix which is quite remarkable. Btw, She hasn't been vaccinated in over five years. Have a conversation about vaccinations with the holistic vet.  Please lets us know how it goes!
          • Judithwm@yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 5 , 23 Jul
              Dear Cavalier List Members,

              Thank you all who responded to my email and put my mind at ease. The visit went well and confirmed that we suspected about the reason for the gagging.
              Although this vet first practiced Western medicine, now she is fully trained as an alternative medicine practitioner. She uses Chinese medicine, such as tea and acupuncture.
              To mitigate the gagging, she recommended "Concentrated Breathe Easier B" tea which is in a capsule. My dog takes 2 caps/day. We will be watching him for 3 weeks, then have a recheck appointment schedule with the vet. For the hind leg weakness she recommended acupuncture to increase the "chi". The vet thought that a 6-weeks course of acupuncture would be a good start. Although it wasn't mentioned during the visit, I noticed that my Cavalier is up two pounds from 2 our last visit to another vet's office which was two months ago. Although he doesn't know it yet, we will be working on loosing weight in the next couple of weeks to help with his mobility issues.

              Best regards,

              Judith W. Mills