New Band Plan Plugin

  • sdrsharp
    Message 1 of 19 , Aug 7, 2016
      New Band Plan plugin released in SDR# r1451. You are all invited to enhance the Band Plan database (BandPlan.xml). The plugin also reconfigures the settings depending on the band.

      Here's what it looks like:

      https://ec.yimg.com/ec?url=https%3A%2F%2Fpbs.twimg.com%2Fmedia%2FCpSv0zKUIAUYbFR.jpg%3Alarge&t=1511225666&sig=hVxSbA1ndjT8kUqlC7X7yA--~D

    • Cn8vo
      Message 2 of 19 , Aug 8, 2016
        Very good plugin tnx

        Envoyé de mon iPhone

        Le 8 août 2016 à 00:30, "sdrsharp@... [SDRSharp]" <SDRSharp@...> a écrit :

        New Band Plan plugin released in SDR# r1451. You are all invited to enhance the Band Plan database (BandPlan.xml). The plugin also reconfigures the settings depending on the band.

        Here's what it looks like:

        https://ec.yimg.com/ec?url=https%3A%2F%2Fpbs.twimg.com%2Fmedia%2FCpSv0zKUIAUYbFR.jpg%3Alarge&t=1511225666&sig=hVxSbA1ndjT8kUqlC7X7yA--~D

      • Dean Wingrin
        Message 3 of 19 , Aug 8, 2016
          Hi from a newbie!

          I’ve just installed SDR# r1450. What is the easiest/best way to upgrade to a newer version?

          Install to a new directory and copy the .dll, sub-directories, etc across?

          Thanks.

          Dean

          Sent: Monday, August 08, 2016 1:30 AM
          Subject: [SDR#] New Band Plan Plugin

          New Band Plan plugin released in SDR# r1451. You are all invited to enhance the Band Plan database (BandPlan.xml). The plugin also reconfigures the settings depending on the band.

          Here's what it looks like:

          https://ec.yimg.com/ec?url=https%3A%2F%2Fpbs.twimg.com%2Fmedia%2FCpSv0zKUIAUYbFR.jpg%3Alarge&t=1511225666&sig=hVxSbA1ndjT8kUqlC7X7yA--~D

        • Henry Abbott
          Message 4 of 19 , Aug 8, 2016

            Thank You!

            This is wonderful!  Now just add a Line with channel spacing ticks  or/and channel numbers number as for CB and Air/Marine channels and I will be in the  6th 5th?  heaven!

            Sincerely,

            Henry

            Message 5 of 19 , Aug 8, 2016

              Hi Dean

              Unless you have made any changes to the setup or created new data files, you can simply install the program as before.

              If you have made any changes that you want to store, I would suggest you name a new directory and copy all the files there. Simple as that. The you would just run the SDRsharp.exe in either the old or the new directory

              Sincerely,

              Henry Abbott

              Message 6 of 19 , Aug 8, 2016
                You can edit BandPlan.xml using Excel (or any other Spreadsheet program), then save back as XML.

                https://ec.yimg.com/ec?url=https%3A%2F%2Fpbs.twimg.com%2Fmedia%2FCpWCi_kWgAAD-X7.jpg%3Alarge&t=1511225666&sig=JlrcnZBIZQU2VGchZEi2cA--~D
              • Dean Wingrin
                Message 7 of 19 , Aug 8, 2016
                  Thanks Henry, appreciated.

                  Dean
                  ZR1FLY

                  Sent: Monday, August 08, 2016 1:30 AM

                  New Band Plan plugin released in SDR# r1451. You are all invited to enhance the Band Plan database (BandPlan.xml). The plugin also reconfigures the settings depending on the band.

                  Here's what it looks like:

                  https://ec.yimg.com/ec?url=https%3A%2F%2Fpbs.twimg.com%2Fmedia%2FCpSv0zKUIAUYbFR.jpg%3Alarge&t=1511225666&sig=hVxSbA1ndjT8kUqlC7X7yA--~D

                • g8jnj
                  Message 8 of 19 , Aug 10, 2016
                    Hi,

                    This is a very useful addition.

                    Here are two more suggestions.

                    Would it be possible to include tuning step and mode descriptors to the XML band plan file ? This could be used to preset the parameters when the SDR is tuned to a designated band

                    Would it be possible to modify Spectrum Spy so that it can also use the same XML band plan file ? This would be useful when trying to quickly identify specific bands such as TV, Radio, DAB, Cell phone etc.

                    Regards,

                    Martin - G8JNJ

                    www.g8jnj.net
                    www.tc2m.info
                    http://websdr.suws.org.uk

                  • sdrsharp

                        Message 11 of 19 , Aug 10, 2016
                          OK that's great news.

                          Are the fields that can be used in the XML file defined anywhere ?

                          Regards,

                          Martin - G8JNJ

                          www.g8jnj.net
                          www.tc2m.info
                          http://websdr.suws.org.uk

                        • sdrsharp
                          Message 12 of 19 , Aug 11, 2016
                            > Are the fields that can be used in the XML file defined anywhere ?

                            In the code?

                            ---In SDRSharp@..., <martin_ehrenfried@...> wrote :

                            OK that's great news.

                            Are the fields that can be used in the XML file defined anywhere ?

                            Regards,

                            Martin - G8JNJ

                            www.g8jnj.net
                            www.tc2m.info
                            http://websdr.suws.org.uk

                          • Alan_Mintz
                            Message 13 of 19 , Aug 11, 2016
                              Very cool feature :) Step size is something I also end up changing manually between bands – this will be a welcome addition, too.
                            • sdrsharp
                              Message 14 of 19 , Aug 11, 2016
                                Check the latest update.

                                Message 15 of 19 , Aug 12, 2016

                                  Thank You, This is getting beter and beter!

                                  Is it maybe possible to show the “minor ticks” for the step size, also possibly channel numbers in the same places as the minor ticks.

                                  In some frequency ranges they tend to think in terms of “Channels” and it is difficult to convert mentally to frequency.

                                  Also an explanation or example of how the sub-bands may work would be Nice

                                  Sincerely

                                  ZS3HA

                                  Message 16 of 19 , Aug 14, 2016
                                    You don't want to end up with the infamous FCC frequency chart in your screen. It's at the limit of readability.
                                    To keep things simple, SDR# builds a giant graph with aggregates for all sub bands. The rendering algorithm displays the name of the ultumate parent while coloring the rest with the appropriate transparency. The mode/step changes are applied according to the lowest sub band in the hierarchy.

                                    Next step: Display the name of the sub bands when zoomed - not necessarily easy to get right.

                                    Message 17 of 19 , Aug 14, 2016

                                      In most Ham bands, possibly others, the mode (CW, USB, FM) would be a good approximation for the sub-band name. Imho, i’d say Let the user enter the sub-band name. When listening the first question is: What is it? The Sub-band gives an idea of what it should be, but may not be right. Sub-bands could be alternating 1xlighter and 2x lighter of basic colour.

                                      Great thanks

                                      Henry

                                      Message 18 of 19 , Aug 14, 2016
                                        Frequency allocation is a big worldwide mess. I'm not going to import that into SDR#.
                                        The tool is considered done until some bright idea shows up.

                                        Message 19 of 19 , Aug 16, 2016

                                        Dear Prog,

                                        Could I (please if it is possible!) get a .dll  named “channels” essentially the same as SDRsharp.FrequencyManager.dll but storing its info in “channels.xml”

                                        All I really need is a place to store frequency and (channel)numbers and put them on the display. The rest could stay the same or disappear (especially the “mode” (WFM, AM) appearing under the freq description, could disappear).

                                        To get the display right I sometimes have to force the bandwith, so that too could disappear)

                                        73

                                        Henry Abbott