Trying to get Griffin Powermate to work with SDR#

  • Sean Gilbert (G4UCJ)
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 18, 2016
      Trying to get Griffin Powermate to work with SDR#

      I've been trying to get my Griffin Powermate (it is a small aluminium spinner that imitates mouse actions and is used in video and audio editing, but is much cheaper than dedicated radio or midi controllers) to work with SDR# ever since the early releases without any success.

      I can get the Powermate to work OK on pretty much every other program except SDR#. I've tried programming the Powermate with every option possible but it refuses to scroll frequency in SDR#(which is why I have the thing in the first place)

      The reason for wanting to use it is so I can have something like a VFO tuning knob rather than having to use the mouse wheel (or the up/down scrolling arrows). You can program the Powermate to emulate left/right/up/down scrolling or to emulate cursor left/right/up/down, which works perfectly in SDR Console (for instance), but I don't need it in that as it supports midi and I use a twin wheel DJ controller as my 'VFO knob'.

      SDR# is the one program I want to use it with and it would add a much improved method of control.

      I wonder if anyone has used a Powermate successfully with SDR# or has any ideas how to get it working.

      Many thanks

      Sean

    • Enigma Traveler
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 18, 2016
        Very interesting Sean. Have the same Griffin spinner mouse and to have wondered about how to interface it to my SDR-IQ.

        Will be following this thread with interest. Thanks for bring it up.

        73 from Bill - WD8ARZ
        South Bend, Indiana

        On 12/18/2016 12:15 PM, 'Sean Gilbert (G4UCJ)' sean@... [SDRSharp] wrote:

[...]

        Many thanks - Sean - Posted by: "Sean Gilbert \(G4UCJ\)" <sean@...>

      • MCH
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 18, 2016
          Are you clicking the box with the digit you want to control?
          From talking with them in the past, that part should work.

          Joe M.

          [SDRSharp] wrote:

          > I've been trying to get my Griffin Powermate(it is a small aluminium
          > spinner that imitates mouseactionsand is used in video and audio
          > editing, but is much cheaper than dedicated radio or midi controllers)to
          > work with SDR#ever since the earlyreleaseswithout any success.
          >
          > I can get the Powermate to work OK on pretty much every other program
          > exceptSDR#.I've tried programming the Powermate with every option
          > possible but it refuses to scroll frequencyin SDR#(which is why I have
          > the thing in the first place)
          >
          > The reason for wanting to use it is so I can have something like a VFO
          > tuning knob rather than having to use the mouse wheel (or the up/down
          > scrolling arrows). You can program the Powermate to emulate
          > left/right/up/down scrollingor to emulate cursor left/right/up/down,
          > which works perfectly in SDR Console (for instance), but I don't need it
          > in thatasit supports midi and I use a twin wheel DJ controller as my
          > 'VFO knob'.
          >
          > SDR# is the one program I want to use it with and it would add a much
          > improved method of control.
          >
          > I wonder if anyone has used a Powermate successfully with SDR#or has any
          > ideas how to get it working.
          >
          > Many thanks
          >
          > Sean
          >

          > No virus found in this message.

        • Sean Gilbert (G4UCJ)
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 19, 2016
            Re: Trying to get Griffin Powermate to work with SDR#

            Hi Joe,

            Strange thing is that I tried all the various combinations yesterday including the one you mentioned without success. However, this morning, after a cold boot, I am able to use the Powermate with SDR#. I guess it must have needed a reboot for the settings to 'hold'. Whatever the cause, I am mightily pleased that I can now tune SDR# in a much more intuitive (to me) way.

            I have to admit I was on the verge of giving up, but saw your message and thought I'd give it one last go today - glad I did.

            Merry Christmas/Seasons greetings everyone.

            73 de Sean - G4UCJ

          • nwpac6
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 19, 2016
              SDR#