Gain when using RTL-SDR

  • dennisfarr
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 10, 2017

      Is there a way to adjust the gain while using RTL-SDR?

      I am currently getting over 50db of gain and would like to have less.

      Thanks

      Dennis

    • runnerwave
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 10, 2017
        Hi Dennis

        You just have to click on the gear near the play button ( top left corber of SDR# )

        This is the Front End Tab.

        Here you can
        Choose a device
        Set or not the AGC GAIN
        Set or not the TUNER GAIN
        Adjust the RF GAIN ( Slider)

        Adjust the frequency correction (ppm)

        You can have a look there :
        www.atouk.com/SDRSharpQuickStart.html

        Good luck, best regards
        Eric
      • dennisfarr
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 12, 2017
          Thanks, found it.
          Will the software ever be modified to make it work on Windows 10?
        • Shirley Márquez Dúlcey
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 12, 2017
            Will the software ever be modified to make it work on Windows 10?

            I have had no problems with using SDRsharp with Windows 10 (currently the Anniversary Update, though it also worked with earlier builds) and an RTL-SDR stick. The only minor catch is that Windows Update will sometimes reinstall the RTL driver, in which case you have to run Zadig again.
          • WB8CJW
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 12, 2017
              It works fine on Windows 10.  I have heard of problems with the sound and video drivers not being the latest or even the correct one for the particular pc model/harware.  A bit of research may be needed to get the correct ones from the manufacturer of the hardware rather than using a generic one.

              Dale

              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 12, 2017
                Hi Dennis,

                dBFS is Decibels Full Scale.  This relates to the scale on the left of the spectrum display where the maximum full scale is 0 dB and for the typical cheap 8-bit RTL-SDR minimum is about -60 dBFS.  1420.4??  Don't think so or have you noticed extreme radiation burns?

                On 3/12/2017 1:49 PM, byeos@... [SDRSharp] wrote:

                I'm trying to use SDR# with RTL-SDR as a spectrum analyzer.

                When I get a reading at 1420.4 it says the units are dBFS.
                What does dBFS stand for?
                If I go through a bandpass filter and set the signal generator
                outside the limits of the filter, I get the same readings.
                Any ideas?
                Thanks
                Dennis

              • MCH
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 12, 2017
                  Been using it on Win10 since it came out without issue.

                  Joe M.

                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 12, 2017
                    dB with respect to Full Scale.

                    Joe M.