CAT Control again: Wanting to interface SDRSharp with Orbitron

  • James H
    Message 1 of 28 , Oct 15, 2012
      Hello All,

      Looking for some way to tie Orbitron to SDRsharp to allow for doppler tracking of the satellites as they come overhead.

      Has anyone developed a .dll file for the Windows version to do this?

      Thanks and 73,

      James, AA5AO
    • rrgsti
      Message 2 of 28 , Oct 15, 2012
        Hi James,

        It doesn't do CAT, but it does integrate with Orbitron via DDE.

        I'm going to provide two links to files. The first used to work, but is an older build and might not be compatible with the latest plugin API. The second should be compatible with the latest plugin API, but I haven't tested it:

        http://public-xrp.s3.amazonaws.com/SatelliteTracker.zip

        http://public-xrp.s3.amazonaws.com/SatelliteTracker2.zip

        There's a little readme that provides some pretty terse instruction. It's definitely not perfect, and you'll need to ensure that your dongle has had PPM correction done so that when Orbitron tunes to some off the wall doppler corrected frequency, the dongle actually goes there and not +/- 3khz.

        Good luck.

        --- In SDRSharp@..., "James H" <jameshickox@...> wrote:

        > Hello All,
        >
        > Looking for some way to tie Orbitron to SDRsharp to allow for doppler tracking of the satellites as they come overhead.
        >
        > Has anyone developed a .dll file for the Windows version to do this?
        >
        > Thanks and 73,
        >
        > James, AA5AO

      • jmcn_uni
        Message 3 of 28 , Oct 17, 2012
          Hi tanks for the great plugin SATELITE TRACKER ... I do test version 2 and it runs with the last version of sdr# available (924).
          I have 2 questions about it if you please help.
          - The plugin tries to start an instance of sdr# even if there is another running. Could it be avoided ?
          - The band NFM-AM-CW-LSB looks like it is not imposed. Could it be forced ?
          I must say the frequency is corrected with doppler and looks very good
          many tanks for the atention and devlopment of plugin.
          JN
        • rrgsti
          Message 4 of 28 , Oct 19, 2012
            Hi there,

            Unfortunately both of these are due to Orbitron behavior.

            - Orbitron attempts to start the selected 'Driver', which in this case, is SDRSharp. I've found that simply starting Orbitron first, and then starting SDRSharp by clicking the little button to the right of the driver selection window, works fine.

            - Orbitron does not seem to provide modulation information in the DDE output, even the 'default' MyDDE driver does not display it. It would be trivial to assert the mode if it did.

            Thanks for the feedback.

            Bob

            --- In SDRSharp@..., "jmcn_uni" <josemcneto@...> wrote:

            > Hi tanks for the great plugin SATELITE TRACKER ... I do test version 2 and it runs with the last version of sdr# available (924).
            > I have 2 questions about it if you please help.
            > - The plugin tries to start an instance of sdr# even if there is another running. Could it be avoided ?
            > - The band NFM-AM-CW-LSB looks like it is not imposed. Could it be forced ?
            > I must say the frequency is corrected with doppler and looks very good
            > many tanks for the atention and devlopment of plugin.
            > JN

          • David J Taylor
            Message 5 of 28 , Oct 19, 2012
              Hi there,

              Unfortunately both of these are due to Orbitron behavior.

              - Orbitron attempts to start the selected 'Driver', which in this case, is
              SDRSharp. I've found that simply starting Orbitron first, and then starting
              SDRSharp by clicking the little button to the right of the driver selection
              window, works fine.

              - Orbitron does not seem to provide modulation information in the DDE
              output, even the 'default' MyDDE driver does not display it. It would be
              trivial to assert the mode if it did.

              Thanks for the feedback.

              Bob

              Bob,

              WXtrack should be compatible with HDSDR, and it does provide the modulation
              mode if known. Can't comment on the starting order, though. I understand
              that WXtrack support for SDR# is in progress.

              Cheers,
              David
              Web: http://www.satsignal.eu
              Email: david-taylor@...
            • James H
              Message 6 of 28 , Oct 21, 2012
                Hello,

                I need some help with setting all of this up. I have added the "add key" line into SDRSharp.exe.config and made sure that the four files from the Stellitetracker.zip file were copied in the same folder as SDRSharp.exe

                When I runn SDRSharp, it gives me "The application failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see theapplication event log or use the command-line sxstrace.exe tool..."

                HELP! I need to do a complete reinstall from the Install archive to get it working again. I am doing this in a Windows-7 enviroment.

                Thanks,

                James, AA5AO

                --- In SDRSharp@..., "rrgsti" <bobrich@...> wrote:

                > Hi there,
                >
                > Unfortunately both of these are due to Orbitron behavior.
                >
                > - Orbitron attempts to start the selected 'Driver', which in this case, is SDRSharp. I've found that simply starting Orbitron first, and then starting SDRSharp by clicking the little button to the right of the driver selection window, works fine.
                >
                > - Orbitron does not seem to provide modulation information in the DDE output, even the 'default' MyDDE driver does not display it. It would be trivial to assert the mode if it did.
                >
                > Thanks for the feedback.
                >
                > Bob
                >
                > --- In SDRSharp@..., "jmcn_uni" <josemcneto@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Hi tanks for the great plugin SATELITE TRACKER ... I do test version 2 and it runs with the last version of sdr# available (924).
                > > I have 2 questions about it if you please help.
                > > - The plugin tries to start an instance of sdr# even if there is another running. Could it be avoided ?
                > > - The band NFM-AM-CW-LSB looks like it is not imposed. Could it be forced ?
                > > I must say the frequency is corrected with doppler and looks very good
                > > many tanks for the atention and devlopment of plugin.
                > > JN

              • jmcn_uni
                Message 7 of 28 , Oct 22, 2012
                  Hi no problem
                  Just let it be and install the usual way the latest SDR-NIGHTLY and SDR-NIGHTLY-RTLSDR. Do not need to uninstall nothing. Do like usual with the config file ( copy from config directory ). CHECK to see sdr# running normally. If all OK then you could pass to satellite tracker. Use Satelite tracker 2 ... do as you has done before but when modifying the config file you must copy two lines ...
                  add key=......?????.
                  value=......???????.
                  like you have on the readme.txt
                  All done check rds# and you should observ that the new plugin "SateliteTracker" is there
                  Good Luck
                • rrgsti
                  Message 8 of 28 , Oct 22, 2012
                    Hi James,

                    You may need the Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 32-bit redistributables installed. The 'NDde.dll' has to communicate with the DDE interface in windows through C++.

                    Try here:

                    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5555

                    Thanks!

                    --- In SDRSharp@..., "James H" <jameshickox@...> wrote:

                    > Hello,
                    >
                    > I need some help with setting all of this up. I have added the "add key" line into SDRSharp.exe.config and made sure that the four files from the Stellitetracker.zip file were copied in the same folder as SDRSharp.exe
                    >
                    > When I runn SDRSharp, it gives me "The application failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see theapplication event log or use the command-line sxstrace.exe tool..."
                    >
                    > HELP! I need to do a complete reinstall from the Install archive to get it working again. I am doing this in a Windows-7 enviroment.
                    >
                    > Thanks,
                    >
                    > James, AA5AO
                    >
                    > --- In SDRSharp@..., "rrgsti" <bobrich@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Hi there,
                    > >
                    > > Unfortunately both of these are due to Orbitron behavior.
                    > >
                    > > - Orbitron attempts to start the selected 'Driver', which in this case, is SDRSharp. I've found that simply starting Orbitron first, and then starting SDRSharp by clicking the little button to the right of the driver selection window, works fine.
                    > >
                    > > - Orbitron does not seem to provide modulation information in the DDE output, even the 'default' MyDDE driver does not display it. It would be trivial to assert the mode if it did.
                    > >
                    > > Thanks for the feedback.
                    > >
                    > > Bob
                    > >
                    > > --- In SDRSharp@..., "jmcn_uni" <josemcneto@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > Hi tanks for the great plugin SATELITE TRACKER ... I do test version 2 and it runs with the last version of sdr# available (924).
                    > > > I have 2 questions about it if you please help.
                    > > > - The plugin tries to start an instance of sdr# even if there is another running. Could it be avoided ?
                    > > > - The band NFM-AM-CW-LSB looks like it is not imposed. Could it be forced ?
                    > > > I must say the frequency is corrected with doppler and looks very good
                    > > > many tanks for the atention and devlopment of plugin.
                    > > > JN

                  • James H
                    Message 9 of 28 , Oct 24, 2012
                      Hello All again,

                      Many thanks to the community for helping me get the software set up. SDRSharp now will track Doppler shift from Orbitron.

                      Now to add a preamp and good external antenna to hear the birds.

                      73,

                      James, AA5AO

                      --- In SDRSharp@..., "James H" <jameshickox@...> wrote:

                      > Hello All,
                      >
                      > Looking for some way to tie Orbitron to SDRsharp to allow for doppler tracking of the satellites as they come overhead.
                      >
                      > Has anyone developed a .dll file for the Windows version to do this?
                      >
                      > Thanks and 73,
                      >
                      > James, AA5AO

                    • W8KHP
                      Message 10 of 28 , Dec 9, 2012
                        I have set up the satellitetracker and it seems to work fine. Here is my question. I am going to be receiving the Fitsat satellite transmitting on 5.84GHz. I am using an LNB which has a local oscillator frequency of 4.505GHZ. The output then will be 1.335GHz which is what I will be feeding into the dongle. How do I set up SDR# and Orbitron so that I am correcting the doppler at 5.84GHz while the dongle is receiving 1.335GHz?

                        Many thanks!

                        73 Al W8KHP

                        --- In SDRSharp@..., "rrgsti" <bobrich@...> wrote:

                        > Hi James,
                        >
                        > It doesn't do CAT, but it does integrate with Orbitron via DDE.
                        >
                        > I'm going to provide two links to files. The first used to work, but is an older build and might not be compatible with the latest plugin API. The second should be compatible with the latest plugin API, but I haven't tested it:
                        >
                        > http://public-xrp.s3.amazonaws.com/SatelliteTracker.zip
                        >
                        > http://public-xrp.s3.amazonaws.com/SatelliteTracker2.zip
                        >
                        > There's a little readme that provides some pretty terse instruction. It's definitely not perfect, and you'll need to ensure that your dongle has had PPM correction done so that when Orbitron tunes to some off the wall doppler corrected frequency, the dongle actually goes there and not +/- 3khz.
                        >
                        > Good luck.
                        >

                        > --- In SDRSharp@..., "James H" <jameshickox@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Hello All,
                        > >
                        > > Looking for some way to tie Orbitron to SDRsharp to allow for doppler tracking of the satellites as they come overhead.
                        > >
                        > > Has anyone developed a .dll file for the Windows version to do this?
                        > >
                        > > Thanks and 73,
                        > >
                        > > James, AA5AO

                      • Priyasloka Arya
                        Message 11 of 28 , Dec 9, 2012

                          Could you tell about the lnb which make and spec

                          On Dec 9, 2012 8:00 PM, "W8KHP" <tokens@...> wrote:

                          I have set up the satellitetracker and it seems to work fine. Here is my question. I am going to be receiving the Fitsat satellite transmitting on 5.84GHz. I am using an LNB which has a local oscillator frequency of 4.505GHZ. The output then will be 1.335GHz which is what I will be feeding into the dongle. How do I set up SDR# and Orbitron so that I am correcting the doppler at 5.84GHz while the dongle is receiving 1.335GHz?

                          Many thanks!

                          73 Al W8KHP

                          --- In SDRSharp@..., "rrgsti" <bobrich@...> wrote:

                          > Hi James,
                          >
                          > It doesn't do CAT, but it does integrate with Orbitron via DDE.
                          >
                          > I'm going to provide two links to files. The first used to work, but is an older build and might not be compatible with the latest plugin API. The second should be compatible with the latest plugin API, but I haven't tested it:
                          >
                          > http://public-xrp.s3.amazonaws.com/SatelliteTracker.zip
                          >
                          > http://public-xrp.s3.amazonaws.com/SatelliteTracker2.zip
                          >
                          > There's a little readme that provides some pretty terse instruction. It's definitely not perfect, and you'll need to ensure that your dongle has had PPM correction done so that when Orbitron tunes to some off the wall doppler corrected frequency, the dongle actually goes there and not +/- 3khz.
                          >
                          > Good luck.
                          >

                          > --- In SDRSharp@..., "James H" <jameshickox@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Hello All,
                          > >
                          > > Looking for some way to tie Orbitron to SDRsharp to allow for doppler tracking of the satellites as they come overhead.
                          > >
                          > > Has anyone developed a .dll file for the Windows version to do this?
                          > >
                          > > Thanks and 73,
                          > >
                          > > James, AA5AO

                        • siegfried jackstien
                          Message 12 of 28 , Dec 9, 2012
                            I can not say how this can be done with sdr sharp ... is there an option to
                            type in fixed downconverter value?!? ... if not that has to be added in a
                            future version (something to put on todo list)

                            In hdsdr (what I used before there was no link to orbitron in sdrsharp)
                            You set the correct qrg in orbitron (here the 5,84ghz) ... and set in the
                            options of hdsdr that the sdr is connected to antenna via that downconverter
                            (type in the 4.505ghz there)

                            Now hdsdr displays correct qrg (5,84) but sends the corrected value (qrg
                            minus offset) to the sdr hardware

                            Hope that helps a bit :-)

                            Dg9bfc

                            sigi

                          • W8KHP
                            Message 13 of 28 , Dec 9, 2012
                              Here is a link to a page describing the lnb.

                              http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/high-quality-5-8-6-1Ghz-customized-lnb/402505_681049078.html

                              --- In SDRSharp@..., Priyasloka Arya <priyasloka.arya@...> wrote:

                              > Could you tell about the lnb which make and spec
                              > On Dec 9, 2012 8:00 PM, "W8KHP" <tokens@...> wrote:
                              >
                              > > **
                              > >

                              > > I have set up the satellitetracker and it seems to work fine. Here is my
                              > > question. I am going to be receiving the Fitsat satellite transmitting on
                              > > 5.84GHz. I am using an LNB which has a local oscillator frequency of
                              > > 4.505GHZ. The output then will be 1.335GHz which is what I will be feeding
                              > > into the dongle. How do I set up SDR# and Orbitron so that I am correcting
                              > > the doppler at 5.84GHz while the dongle is receiving 1.335GHz?
                              > >
                              > > Many thanks!
                              > >
                              > > 73 Al W8KHP
                              > >
                              > > --- In SDRSharp@..., "rrgsti" <bobrich@> wrote:
                              > > >
                              > > > Hi James,
                              > > >
                              > > > It doesn't do CAT, but it does integrate with Orbitron via DDE.
                              > > >
                              > > > I'm going to provide two links to files. The first used to work, but is
                              > > an older build and might not be compatible with the latest plugin API. The
                              > > second should be compatible with the latest plugin API, but I haven't
                              > > tested it:
                              > > >
                              > > > http://public-xrp.s3.amazonaws.com/SatelliteTracker.zip
                              > > >
                              > > > http://public-xrp.s3.amazonaws.com/SatelliteTracker2.zip
                              > > >
                              > > > There's a little readme that provides some pretty terse instruction.
                              > > It's definitely not perfect, and you'll need to ensure that your dongle has
                              > > had PPM correction done so that when Orbitron tunes to some off the wall
                              > > doppler corrected frequency, the dongle actually goes there and not +/-
                              > > 3khz.
                              > > >
                              > > > Good luck.

                              > > tracking of the satellites as they come overhead.

                            • jdow
                              Message 14 of 28 , Dec 9, 2012
                                The Offset setting might solve a lot of problems, of course.

                                {o.o} Joanne, W6MKU

                              • siegfried jackstien
                                Message 15 of 28 , Dec 9, 2012
                                  Seems is i can not see a tree in the woods :-)

                                  The "shift" setting does exactly that

                                  Type in the lo frequency of the downconverter

                                  (example setting 4.5 gig there and you receive 5.8 gig while the sdr gets
                                  1.3 gig as the lo setting)

                                  Did not test it together with orbitron ... but .. if orbitron sends the 5.8
                                  to sdrsharp ... and you have the correct downconverter frequency set (switch
                                  it on in the white box close to "shift") ... the sdr should send the correct
                                  lo to your sdr (regardless what sdr you use)

                                  (tested with rtl stick and with fcd)

                                  Dg9bfc
                                  Sigi

                                • W8KHP
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Dec 10, 2012
                                    Thank you very much for the answers. I'll have to try this and see how it works.

                                    73 Al W8KHP

                                    --- In SDRSharp@..., "siegfried jackstien" <siegfried.jackstien@...> wrote:

                                    > Seems is i can not see a tree in the woods :-)
                                    >
                                    > The "shift" setting does exactly that
                                    >
                                    > Type in the lo frequency of the downconverter
                                    >
                                    > (example setting 4.5 gig there and you receive 5.8 gig while the sdr gets
                                    > 1.3 gig as the lo setting)
                                    >
                                    > Did not test it together with orbitron ... but .. if orbitron sends the 5.8
                                    > to sdrsharp ... and you have the correct downconverter frequency set (switch
                                    > it on in the white box close to "shift") ... the sdr should send the correct
                                    > lo to your sdr (regardless what sdr you use)
                                    >
                                    > (tested with rtl stick and with fcd)
                                    >
                                    > Dg9bfc
                                    > Sigi

                                  • W8KHP
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Dec 10, 2012
                                      OK, I guess I am doing something wrong. I have three boxes to fill in for SDR#: frequency, center, shift. If I put 4.505 into shift, and 5.84 into frequency and center then SDR# exhibits the sum 10.305 on the screen. I set Orbitron with the downlink frequency of 5.84 and that changes nicely in Orbitron and the frequency box of SDR#. I don't think I am there yet. What am I missing?

                                      73 Al W8KHP

                                      --- In SDRSharp@..., "W8KHP" <tokens@...> wrote:

                                      > Thank you very much for the answers. I'll have to try this and see how it works.
                                      >
                                      > 73 Al W8KHP
                                      >
                                      > --- In SDRSharp@..., "siegfried jackstien" <siegfried.jackstien@> wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > > Seems is i can not see a tree in the woods :-)
                                      > >
                                      > > The "shift" setting does exactly that
                                      > >
                                      > > Type in the lo frequency of the downconverter
                                      > >
                                      > > (example setting 4.5 gig there and you receive 5.8 gig while the sdr gets
                                      > > 1.3 gig as the lo setting)
                                      > >
                                      > > Did not test it together with orbitron ... but .. if orbitron sends the 5.8
                                      > > to sdrsharp ... and you have the correct downconverter frequency set (switch
                                      > > it on in the white box close to "shift") ... the sdr should send the correct
                                      > > lo to your sdr (regardless what sdr you use)
                                      > >
                                      > > (tested with rtl stick and with fcd)
                                      > >
                                      > > Dg9bfc
                                      > > Sigi

                                    • Rob, M0DTS
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Dec 10, 2012
                                        Using a negative LO frequency ends up with the right IF tuning frequency here but an error..
                                        I think we have exceeded a 32bit integer somewhere...

                                        ************** Exception Text **************
                                        System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Value of '5839980880' is not valid for 'Value'. 'Value' should be between 'Minimum' and 'Maximum'.
                                        Parameter name: Value
                                           at System.Windows.Forms.NumericUpDown.set_Value(Decimal value)
                                           at SDRSharp.MainForm.set_Frequency(Int64 value)
                                           at SDRSharp.SharpControlProxy.set_Frequency(Int64 value)
                                           at SDRSharp.SatelliteTracker.SatelliteTrackerPanel.tuneToFrequency(Satellite sat)
                                           at SDRSharp.SatelliteTracker.SatelliteTrackerPanel.updateTimer_Tick(Object sender, EventArgs e)
                                           at System.Windows.Forms.Timer.OnTick(EventArgs e)
                                           at System.Windows.Forms.Timer.TimerNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
                                           at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

                                        Hope that is useful for someone t debug.... I have other things to do ;-)

                                        Rob
                                        M0DTS

                                      • Robert Nickels
                                        Message 19 of 28 , Dec 10, 2012
                                          On 12/10/2012 8:04 AM, W8KHP wrote:
                                          > What am I missing?
                                          a minus sign in front of your shift (make the shift -4.505)

                                          73, Bob W9RAN
                                        • Rob, M0DTS
                                          Message 20 of 28 , Dec 10, 2012
                                            Thinking again, the Negative LO is not going to work, you need the centre frequency set at the IF rather then RF as it does at present with tracking plug-in, plus there is the reversed doppler correction issue due to inverted sideband too.

                                            A down-converter/transverter offset option is required for this to work correctly I believe.

                                            Rob
                                            M0DTS

                                          • tokens@myranch.com
                                            Message 21 of 28 , Dec 10, 2012
                                              Thank you! I figured it had to be something obvious (but not to me) like
                                              that!!

                                              73 Al W8KHP

                                              Message 22 of 28 , Dec 10, 2012
                                                Right now using the negative LO, the screen shows the IF frequency. I will have to take this down to the shack and generate a signal at 5.84GHz, receive it with the LNB connected to the RTLSDR and see if I am actually receiving the IF signal at 1.335GHz.

                                                Al
                                                W8KHP

                                              • tokens@myranch.com

                                                  Message 24 of 28 , Dec 12, 2012
                                                    Ok, must be my end, probably have an old SDRSharp version.
                                                    Works fine for 70cm sat doppler correction here, just not with negative LO, Negative LO works only if i enter it manually!

                                                    If you do receive the signal I would appreciate the raw IQ data to post process if you can record it..? this will test if I can do the 115.2kbps FSK de-mod correctly!
                                                    I'm working on my 5.8GHz rx here for FITSAT but not quite ready yet.

                                                    Rob
                                                    M0DTS

                                                      Message 26 of 28 , Dec 15, 2012
                                                        I think I am back to square one. The connection to Orbitron and using the LO as the offset seemed to be working under Windows 7 32 bit. When using another computer with Windows 7 64 bit I got the same error as Rob got (described below). I loaded the software onto a third computer running 32 bit Windows XP and got the same error. So I went back to the original computer with Windows 7 32 bit and now I get the same error there. Don't know what changed. Does anything get written to the dongle?

                                                        I still need a way to receive the satellite at 5.84GHz with the lnb (local oscillator at 4.505) and receive the 1.335GHz signal with the dongle and have the 5.84GHz signal doppler corrected. Otherwise will have to just set SDR# at the 1.335GHz frequency and manually tune the doppler.

                                                        Al W8KHP

[...]

                                                      • Roger Sale
                                                        Message 27 of 28 , Dec 15, 2012
                                                          Use satpc32, its visually not as pretty as others, but it was the easiest to use when i did satellite setup for my radio club, it is limited unless you buy it, but only in the sense it doesn't "store" your preferences and location data, otherwise everything else is spot on.
                                                          73
                                                          de
                                                          Roger
                                                          M0HRR

                                                          Message 28 of 28 , Dec 15, 2012
                                                            Set the offset to 4.505GHz (4505000000) and the LO to 5.84 GHz.
                                                            Tell Orbitron it is tracking at 5.84 GHz.

                                                            {^_^}