migrate data to updated version

  • doug_r_lewis
    Message 1 of 5 , 17 May

      I currently have 3 versions installed (to preserve certain version sensitive plugins). They all work well.

      However I would like to populate them each with a common frequency data set used for scanning by fm+scanner. This set exists in my main version 1426.which I have spent much time creating scan goups.

      I have tried all found tutorials - export, import, changing db path ect and nothing works, I am not even sure where the data is stored-anyway I am stuck.

       As an example I would like to use 1560 now the fm scanner plug works now but without my stocked groups and frequencies it would be way too much effort to hand create my data in it.

      Is data migration even possible between versions?

      Am I missing a simple migration insight?

      Any help would be appreciated.

      (All versions are in their own folder off of C;\ under their own version folders)

    • sdrs.freqmgr
      Message 2 of 5 , 17 May
        All 5 current versions of FMSuite use the same database structure.  If you know where your current Frequency Manager + Scanner is, simply point all copies of Frequency Manager + Scanner to the same database.  You can see the currently-selected database (if you don't remember where it is) at the bottom of Tools > Edit Preferences > Frequency Manager tab.

        Alternatively, if you don't want to share the databases, you can use FMSuite.DataTools.exe in the SDR# folder to export your database, then import it two times to make copies for your other two copies of SDR#.

        Jeff.
      • doug_r_lewis
        Message 3 of 5 , 17 May
          Hi

          A) I would prefer the import but when I try to do that my "production version"  location folder does not have the required XML file requested -- can this be recreated?

          B) (From the new version folder) after launch - When I go the tools/preferences/options route and select the data base in my "production version" folder... the group list still comes up empty?

          When I go to my "production version" tools/preferences/options to verify the data base location the location is truncated and does not show the full path ie ...\FreqMgr.db so I cannot verify where it is really located, the one I can locate does not seem to have content (see B). and A).

          Thanks for your efforts, anything else I can try?

        • doug_r_lewis
          Message 4 of 5 , 21 May
            Mystery solved.

            I had unzipped in my download folder and had used the program from that location for some time. I then decides it should be located off the C:/ drive so I copied the entire folder over there. The default database remained over in the download folder so it worked fine.

            The confusion

            The path to the db is not shown in tools / preferences because initial set up truncates the path to .../FreqMgr.db. (this could be anywhere).

            The full path only shows after you point to another db. and use it.
          • sdrs.freqmgr
            Message 5 of 5 , 24 May
              Hi, my apologies for not responding sooner.  True, the label for the current database doesn't itself show the full path; I should have been clearer.  You only need to click the button that lets you look for databases and it should open to the currently-selected database folder.

              I'm glad you got it working, and again I apologize for the lateness of my response.

              Cheers,
              Jeff