Re: Slovakia received near Munich / Bavaria via Tropo

  • Nick Gilly
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 1, 2009
      Excellent logs Günter :-)

      My dream is to receive Austria or the Czech Republic via tropo here in southern England. I'm sure it's possible. The nearest I've come to Austria was strong tropo reception of Bayern 1 Wendelstein on 93.7 in October 2007. I've also received Bayern 2 on 91.6 via tropo from Cham/Hoher Bogen which is near the Czech border. Problem is the terrain is difficult in these border areas so I think it would need truly exceptional condx to get either Austria or the Czech Republic via tropo on FM here.

      Have you ever received the UK via tropo in Freising? It must be a possibility when txes like Wendelstein make it here.

      Good DX.

      Nick, Whitchurch, Hampshire

      PS: Perseids look promising: I had a nice long train this morning at 0936 local on 105.0 that lasted for over a minute. There was a similar one a couple of mornings ago on 107.9.

      --- In SkywavesDX@..., Günter Lorenz <glorenz@...> wrote:

> [...]
      > I had already noted exellent conditions into Czech Republic, on TV channel R1, NOVA showed up in color and with second audio (stereo).
      >
      > First, I logged some Czech stations. On 106.0, there was a good quality pop mx which I thought was from Austria. But then, RDS light went on and showed a PI of 534F. 5xxx PI are used in Italy, but that was unlikely. So I consulted myFM and found out that I was listening to Radio Okey! At the same time, the PS text __OKEY__ came up.
      > So I checked for other outlets from this location and the only free channel was 101.5. The signal was weaker than the one on 106.0, but there was a clear ID.
      > Slovakia had arrived here, from a rather unexpected site, and with full RDS!
      >
      > I continued scanning, got some more Austrian signals and then made another scan. 96.9 was a suspect signal with Samba music live concert. None of the usual locals / semilocals matched, so I dared to check the live stream of SR2 on the web and bingo! There it was, the live concert. Poprad/Králová hola, 620 km - even further east than Banská Bystrica.
      > Again checking other outlets from this location, and 104.3 was here, verified with Web stream.
      >
      > Here is my complete log. I have recorded the whole session and will put some clips online later.
      >
      > Log
      > Günter Lorenz, D-85354 Freising
      > 11e44/48n24
      > Sony SA3ES, 5-el logper (RKB) horizontal
      >
      > 2009-07-29
      > MHz UTC ITU Program + Location Details Remarks km
      > 65.76 2110 CZE NOVA, Ceské Budejovice/Klet - CRa (CBu) TV px second audio on 65.517 194 km
      > 91.10 2125 CZE CRo 1 - Radio¾urnál, Ceské Budejovice/Klet - CRa (CBu) Cz YL/OM interview PI:232F 194 km
      > 87.60 2138 CZE Hitrádio Faktor, Kaplice/Polu¹ka (CBu) Cz anns, ID !!, pop mx 202 km (200 Watts only)
      > 106.40 2143 CZE CRo 5 C.Budejovice, Ceské Budejovice/Klet - CRa (CBu) Cz YL/OM call-in PI:250D PS:_CRo_CB_ 194 km
      > 102.90 2145 CZE Radio Impuls, Ceské Budejovice/Klet - CRa (CBu) Cz pop mx 194 km
      > 98.20 2149 CZE CRo 3 - Vltava, Jeseník/Praded (Olo) Modern music // 95.6 441 km
      > 106.00 2151 SVK Rádio Okey, Banská Bystrica/Suchá hora (BB) Pop mx PI:534F PS:__OKEY__, 36 db on horizontal antenna 536 km
      > 101.50 2157 SVK SRo 2 Rádio Regina Banská Bystr., Banská Bystrica/Suchá hora (BB) Slovak YL anns, ID, mx 536 km
      > 91.50 2201 AUT Ö2 - Radio Niederösterreich, Sankt Pölten/Jauerling (nie) Dt nx 266 km
      > 105.10 2211 AUT FM 4, Bad Ischl/Katrin (ORS) (obe) Etno mx, // 104.6 158 km ( 600 Watt)
      > 96.90 2228 SVK SRo 2 Rádio Regina Banská Bystr., Poprad/Králová hola (PO) Live concert samba mx // web stream 620 km
      > 104.30 2234 SVK SRo 4 Rádio_FM, Poprad/Králová hola (PO) mx, ID, // web stream 40db, ST 620 km
      > 105.50 2239 AUT KRONEHIT Oberösterreich, Unterach (Attersee)/Ackerschneid (obe) Dt. ID, dt. pop 145 km (60 Watt only)
      > 87.60 2254 CZE Radio Impuls, Brno/Kojál (Brn) pop, Cz ID 387 km

    • Nick Gilly
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 1, 2009
        Sorry, time of the MS this morning was 0916 local.

        Good DX.

        Nick, Whitchurch, Hampshire

        --- In SkywavesDX@..., "Nick Gilly" <nickgilly@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > > 106.00 2151 SVK Rádio Okey, Banská Bystrica/Suchá hora (BB) Pop mx PI:534F PS:__OKEY__, 36 db on horizontal antenna 536 km
        > > 101.50 2157 SVK SRo 2 Rádio Regina Banská Bystr., Banská Bystrica/Suchá hora (BB) Slovak YL anns, ID, mx 536 km
        > > 91.50 2201 AUT Ö2 - Radio Niederösterreich, Sankt Pölten/Jauerling (nie) Dt nx 266 km
        > > 105.10 2211 AUT FM 4, Bad Ischl/Katrin (ORS) (obe) Etno mx, // 104.6 158 km ( 600 Watt)
        > > 96.90 2228 SVK SRo 2 Rádio Regina Banská Bystr., Poprad/Králová hola (PO) Live concert samba mx // web stream 620 km
        > > 104.30 2234 SVK SRo 4 Rádio_FM, Poprad/Králová hola (PO) mx, ID, // web stream 40db, ST 620 km
        > > 105.50 2239 AUT KRONEHIT Oberösterreich, Unterach (Attersee)/Ackerschneid (obe) Dt. ID, dt. pop 145 km (60 Watt only)
        > > 87.60 2254 CZE Radio Impuls, Brno/Kojál (Brn) pop, Cz ID 387 km

      • hughjohnstone
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 1, 2009
          hello nick but the czech rep has been received in the uk via tropo but for the life of me i cant remember his name maybe other members can help. i also remember listening to the recording so it has been done 73 hugh
          ps think it was in 2007
        • christopherholland86
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 1, 2009
            Hello Hugh and all from Chris

            I've seen it at http://www.ukdx.org.uk/fm/Freq%20Order.htm
            listed as reception of CRo2 on 101.2 on 16/09/2007 from near
            Brighton.

            There is a recording of it too at http://www.ukdx.org.uk/fm/FMLogs/Recordings/Recordings.htm lol
            Transmitter site is from Plzeò/Krašov and it's 101.7 I believe not 101.2 as listed.
            Believe the guy who received it is Mike Fallon.

            Cheers

            Chris.

            --- In SkywavesDX@..., "hughjohnstone" <hughjohnstone@...> wrote:

            > hello nick but the czech rep has been received in the uk via tropo but for the life of me i cant remember his name maybe other members can help. i also remember listening to the recording so it has been done 73 hugh
            > ps think it was in 2007

          • Nick Gilly
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 1, 2009
              Hi Hugh - yes I remember this happening but I'm talking personally here as it would be a first for me. The intense anticyclones that give settled weather in the autumn would be the best chance of trying for this sort of "super-tropo", particularly if they decline into Central Europe.

              Good DX.

              Nick, Whitchurch, Hampshire

              --- In SkywavesDX@..., "hughjohnstone" <hughjohnstone@...> wrote:

              > hello nick but the czech rep has been received in the uk via tropo but for the life of me i cant remember his name maybe other members can help. i also remember listening to the recording so it has been done 73 hugh
              > ps think it was in 2007

            • hughjohnstone
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 1, 2009
                thats the chap thanks chris that would have annoyed me all day. great reception 73 hugh
              • Günter Lorenz
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 10, 2009
                  Hi Nick,

                  > Excellent logs Günter :-)

                  Thank you. The altitude above sea level of the tx sites is one key to such tropo-ducting reception over land.

                  Poprad/Králová hola 1938m 92.2, 94.2, 96.9, 100.9, 104.3
                  Banská Bystrica/Suchá hora 1225m 90.1, 97.6, 101.5, 104.0, 106.0

                  Other Slovak candidates (have been logged in Sweden) to look out for are:
                  Kosice/Dubník 1035m 100,3
                  Zilina/Krízava 796m 97,2
                  Zilina/Krízava 796m 99,2

                  > My dream is to receive Austria or the Czech Republic via
                  > tropo here in southern England. I'm sure it's possible. The
                  > nearest I've come to Austria was strong tropo reception of
                  > Bayern 1 Wendelstein on 93.7 in October 2007. I've also
                  > received Bayern 2 on 91.6 via tropo from Cham/Hoher Bogen
                  > which is near the Czech border. Problem is the terrain is
                  > difficult in these border areas so I think it would need
                  > truly exceptional condx to get either Austria or the Czech
                  > Republic via tropo on FM here.

                  Not bad, you've almost been there ...

                  Austria should definitely be possible. Watch out for Salzburg-Gaisberg (1283m) on 90.9, 94.8, 99.0, 104.6.
                  Another high-power candidate is Bregenz-Pfänder (1050m) on 89.6, 93.3, 98.2, 102.1, 106.5

                  Czech Republic: More difficult, because of the terrain. These are the top distance logs from myFM:
                  Valasské Meziříčí/Radhosť 92.5, 99.0, 100.5, 103.9
                  Brno/Medlánky - ul.Technická (VÚT) 99.0
                  Liberec/Jestěd 89,9, 97,9, 101,4, 103,9
                  Ostrava/Hosťálkovice 89.0, 91.0, 93.7, 101,4, 102.7, 104,8, 107,3
                  Pardubice/Krásné 102,7

                  > Have you ever received the UK via tropo in Freising? It must
                  > be a possibility when txes like Wendelstein make it here.

                  No, not via tropo. My altitude above sea level is 480m, whereas Wendelstein is 1828m, and that makes the difference.
                  Reception should be possible on higher altitudes in the Alps and pre-alpine hills. There are occasional dx-peditions there.
                  I have checked the logs available online in myFM (far from complete, much more has been published in REFLEXION and elsewhere), these are the top distance tropo logs of UK stations in Germany:

                  location km
                  Black Hill 922
                  Forfar 921
                  Caradon Hill 900
                  Keelylang Hill 897
                  Craigkelly(Edinburgh) 887
                  Meldrum 885
                  North Hessary Tor 883
                  Rumster Forest 870
                  Blaenplwyf 869
                  Sandale 861
                  Rowridge 834
                  Wenvoe 827

                  No reception has been reported in South Germany (Bavaria, Baden-Württemberg).

                  Holme Moss and North Hessary Tor should be our best targets, as they are the highest altitude high powers.

                  All data from FMLIST, any comments welcome!!

                  73,
                  Günter