Re: UK Tropo 11 Mar '12

  • Julian Hardstone
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 11, 2012
      Hepburn is so accurate tonight it's uncanny. See the 00:00 hr map today, green
      across the west of the UK, north to the Firth of Forth, south beyond Cornwall,
      west covering most of Ireland except Maghera.
      I tried for Cornwall again, and beaming north I went to 95.2 and there was one
      big signal, couldn't work out what it could be, but when the beam moved round it
      was Caradon Hill, drowning out semi-local Belmont unless beaming directly there.
      102.2 was the same, so another first here. Thanks to Mark for the Devon tip, I
      tried 103.4 with strong semi-local Wrexham off the end of the beam and Devon was
      a clear ID, another first. Divis and Hessary were ridiculously strong, up 15dB
      on usual, could be heard downstairs on a portable

      From across the hills to the east, semi-local High Hunsley was about 10dB up on
      usual. However, to the south-east no London, Lille or Egem, Wrothan drowned by
      Kippure off the rear of the horizontal beam, Crystal Palace not heard, and to
      the north Meldrum drowned by Blaenplwyf off the end of the beam. Meanwhile
      Maghera was down or not heard, compared to Truskmore which was about 6dB up on
      usual. All just as predicted!

      The prediction also looked good for the Azores and Canaries, however all but two
      of the channels which have been logged in the UK have strong or very strong
      semi-locals here, like Sutton Coldfield or Llangollen, but I'll keep trying 97.5
      while the tropo lasts ;-)

      - Julian, Stockport, KT-6040 (110/80kHz filters), h+v Triax FM5's
    • Tim Bucknall
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 11, 2012
        Hi all,
        Gave up trying to sleep at 5,
        watched Blue Heelers in Noisy colour from Kippure
        read Julians Message and swung the ant round to North Hessary tor.
        100mhz was blasting in so i tried 103.4, Heart wrexham was
        noticeably noisy in 180khz WFM, on a whim i switched to 50khz NFM and
        Radio Devon was just sitting there with speech px. seems a long time
        since i last heard them

        95.2 has something giving oxford a good kicking presumably Cornwall

        strong signal on 102.2 playing adele, audio doesn't sound tinny enough
        to be capital

        On 12/03/2012, Julian Hardstone <julian@...> wrote:
        > Hepburn is so accurate tonight it's uncanny. See the 00:00 hr map today,
        > green
        > across the west of the UK, north to the Firth of Forth, south beyond
        > Cornwall,
        > west covering most of Ireland except Maghera.
        > I tried for Cornwall again, and beaming north I went to 95.2 and there was
        > one
        > big signal, couldn't work out what it could be, but when the beam moved
        > round it
        > was Caradon Hill, drowning out semi-local Belmont unless beaming directly
        > there.
        > 102.2 was the same, so another first here. Thanks to Mark for the Devon tip,
        > tried 103.4 with strong semi-local Wrexham off the end of the beam and Devon
        > was
        > a clear ID, another first. Divis and Hessary were ridiculously strong, up
        > 15dB
        > on usual, could be heard downstairs on a portable
        >
        > From across the hills to the east, semi-local High Hunsley was about 10dB up
        > on
        > usual. However, to the south-east no London, Lille or Egem, Wrothan drowned
        > by
        > Kippure off the rear of the horizontal beam, Crystal Palace not heard, and
        > the north Meldrum drowned by Blaenplwyf off the end of the beam. Meanwhile
        > Maghera was down or not heard, compared to Truskmore which was about 6dB up
        > on
        > usual. All just as predicted!
        >
        > The prediction also looked good for the Azores and Canaries, however all but
        > two
        > of the channels which have been logged in the UK have strong or very strong
        > semi-locals here, like Sutton Coldfield or Llangollen, but I'll keep trying
        > 97.5
        > while the tropo lasts ;-)
        >
        > - Julian, Stockport, KT-6040 (110/80kHz filters), h+v Triax FM5's

      • Mark Davies

          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 12, 2012
            Mark - I made a little list a while back from Paul's and maybe other logs. Your
            Ynys Môn location should put you in with a good chance of catching the Canaries
            or Azores
            Oh btw, I meant to say it was Oxford that was overtaken by Cornwall on 95.2,
            Belmont on 102.2, and of course the topic should have been 'British Isles Tropo'
            as the logs were not limited to the UK alone!
            gd dx:
            87.7 CNR R Clasicá
            88.0 CNR R Sintonia
            88.5 AZR R Atlantida
            88.9 AZR Antena 1 Azores
            89.5 AZR Antena 1 Azores
            89.9 AZR Antena 2
            92.0 CNR
            92.2 AZR R Atlantida
            92.7 AZR Antena 1 Azores
            97.9 AZR Antena 1 Azores
            98.0 ?
            99.4 AZR TSF Azores
          • Tim Bucknall
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 12, 2012
              94.6 from CNR also springs to mind, from the Aberdaron log
              also something around 105 from Temerjeque
              Good Luck, you're in a great location for that direction.

              Currently watching Irish TV, RTE 1 on D, E & F, Network 2 with Kids px on G &H
              Channel I is obliterated by DAB
              RTE 1 on Channel F also has some weak but definite Line Pairing on the picture

              Tim Bucknall, Congleton
              Icom IC-9500 Feeding external monitor for video.
              CLP 5130 Log P on rooftop