Re: E3 gone

  • hughtvdx
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 28, 2010
      End of an era!!

      Belgium started the trend of closing band 1 transmitters by shutting Aalter E2 in the late 1970's,that was a real pest in southeast UK.

      When RTBF TV started I believe they used 819/625 line switchable video and multistandard sets were sold in Belgium.819 was used when programmes were relayed from France.Have an article from Practical Television magazine written by someone living there and what they could receive from about 1963.

      625 transmissions were system C originally on Vhf,positive going vision modulation and AM sound,changing to system B(negative vision modulation FM sound around the time E2 shut.

      Hugh

      --- In SkywavesDX@..., "Jurgen Bartels" <jurgenb2@...> wrote:

      > E3 went dark at midnight

    • John Faulkner
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 1, 2010
        It's sad in a way. I will miss seeing those jet reflections - that was
        exactly as I used to see them Jurgen.

        John

        Jurgen Bartels wrote:

        > E3 went dark at midnight
        >
        > Here are its last traces
        > http://dx.3sdesign.de/temp/Spectr-100301-0002-E3-Liege-shutdown.jpg
        > <http://dx.3sdesign.de/temp/Spectr-100301-0002-E3-Liege-shutdown.jpg>
        >
        > Just before that it peaked a little and I did see some last weak video.
        >
        > Good bye !
        >
        > E11 still there
        >
        > Jurgen Bartels Suellwarden, N. Germany
        > Winradio G305 & Perseus
        > 300m beverage & dual-feed 30x4m EWE pointing 320°
        > FM 15-ele, SpecLab FM demod using Perseus h/w
        > http://dx.3sdesign.de/station_list.htm
        > <http://dx.3sdesign.de/station_list.htm>
        >
        > http://fewo.3sdesign.de <http://fewo.3sdesign.de> - Vacation home: DX
        > right at the Northsea coast

      • Jurgen Bartels
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 1, 2010
          > Belgium started the trend of closing band 1 transmitters by shutting
          > Aalter E2
          > in the late 1970's,that was a real pest in southeast UK.

          If you see that as a trend then it started even earlier but diffrent reason. My
          local Steinkimmen E2 went off way earlier. The reason was summer Es, we could
          not watch TV when Es occurred. So the escape to UHF was made. That applies
          probably to many flat area regions

          > When RTBF TV started I believe they used 819/625 line switchable video
          > and multistandard sets were sold in Belgium.819 was used when
          > programmes were relayed from France.Have an article from Practical
          > Television magazine written by someone living there and what they could
          > receive from about 1963.

          Interesting to read.

          What a mess !!
          Just all done to protect national markets, so the viewer had to pay more for
          his set. Imagine how many incompatible PCs we would have now if this would have
          continued.

          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 1, 2010
            TVE 2 Ch E2 from Vejer De La Frontera (near Jerez I think)
            closed in the mid 70's.Between co channel from Madrid,general summer Es
            and probable blasts of signal from then Nigeria and Ghana on E2 they gave up the battle !

            TV in Europe was very incompatible then...There was also the French 441 line standard transmitted from the Eiffel tower 46MHz vision 42 MHz sound till about 1956 I think.
            Very early Dxers in the UK on the south coast could pick it up apparently using an unmodified 405 line set,just adjusting the line hold up a bit.

            Hugh

            > local Steinkimmen E2 went off way earlier. The reason was summer Es, we could
            > not watch TV when Es occurred. So the escape to UHF was made. That applies
            > probably to many flat area regions

          • Curtis Sadowski
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 1, 2010
              Hi Hugh,
                      French 441 line service ended due to a fire destroying the transmitter at the Eiffel Tower.  Service had been scheduled to close, so the fire pushed that ahead a bit.  The 441 line standard was used in the United States until 1941, and by way of Philo Farnsworth it made it's way to pre-war Germany.  The Germans brought it to Paris in the War, adapting the system the French had in place to theirs.  After the war no one seemed to think it worth the bother to change it back.  The original 625 line BW standard was an adaptation Philips made of the American 525 line NTSC.  That seemed to be the quickest way of bringing about TV service in Europe, as NTSC already had most of the kinks worked out of it.  The line number was changed to make the 25 lps scanning work right- the American system used 30 lps.  That's way you can use a 525 line set to receive 625 line video and vice-versa.
                                                                    Curtis Sadowski

              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 1, 2010
                Yes indeed,thanks for the info.819 started around 1951 in France
                and I believe there were at times two lots of cameras in the studios for 819 and 441.

                During WW2 the TV transmissions from the Eiffel Tower were monitored on the S Coast of the UK at Beachy Head,there's a little bit about it here "Beachy Head at War" on Wikipedia.A rather large antenna was used.
                Sure there's more information around if you search for it.

                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beachy_Head

                Hugh

                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 1, 2010
                  Hi Hugh,
                      One of the sources I read mentioned that they eventually used a "standards convertor", i.e., a 441 line camera pointed at an 819 line screen.
                                                                                  Curtis