Absolute-Radio Tx map

  • Jurgen Bartels
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 30, 2017
      Playing with the new map generator feature of StationList.exe I took a
      look at the UK Absolute-Radio Tx map and it offers some interesting
      clues.
      It shows where the low power repeaters are. Many sit within the
      intersection of several main stations and most likely have reception
      problems on 1215 kHz despite the use of a synchronized network.

      Jurgen Bartels Suellwarden, N. Germany
      Ant. hor: 29-45MHz 7-el, 45-87MHz 11-el, FM 15.11, Band-3:13-el,
      UHF:48-el
      27-1000MHz: Airspy with HDSDR
      MW: 30 x 4m EWE 320° with JB-terminator, Winradio & Perseus
      http://zeiterfassung.3sdesign.de/station_list.htm StationList
      http://zeiterfassung.3sdesign.de/stationlist-m.htm StationList-M for
      Android
      http://dx.3sdesign.de/tv_offset_list.htm
    • Jurgen Bartels
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 30, 2017
        Oops,
        I forgot the url
        http://dx.3sdesign.de/MW-Tx-AbsoluteRadio.htm

        > Playing with the new map generator feature of StationList.exe I took a
        > look at the UK Absolute-Radio Tx map and it offers some interesting
        > clues.
        > It shows where the low power repeaters are. Many sit within the
        > intersection of several main stations and most likely have reception
        > problems on 1215 kHz despite the use of a synchronized network.

        Jurgen Bartels Suellwarden, N. Germany
        Ant. hor: 29-45MHz 7-el, 45-87MHz 11-el, FM 15.11, Band-3:13-el,
        UHF:48-el
        27-1000MHz: Airspy with HDSDR
        MW: 30 x 4m EWE 320° with JB-terminator, Winradio & Perseus
        http://zeiterfassung.3sdesign.de/station_list.htm StationList
        http://zeiterfassung.3sdesign.de/stationlist-m.htm StationList-M for
        Android
        http://dx.3sdesign.de/tv_offset_list.htm
      • Matt .
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 30, 2017
          Hi Jurgen,

          Interesting map however the coverage for the smaller low power transmitters are much lower than reality. For example I live in Grimsby but I can hear the tx that is in Boston on 1242 with just over a +20db signal even in the daytime. Also 1215 is pretty much perfect here at +40db with some slight fading at night time.

          But otherwise a nice map, I wonder if there is also one for Talksport and BBC 5 live etc?

          Matt.

          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 1, 2017
          Hi Matt,

          > Interesting map however the coverage for the smaller low power transmitters
          > are much lower than reality. For example I live in Grimsby but I can hear the
          > tx that is in Boston on 1242 with just over a +20db signal even in the
          > daytime. Also 1215 is pretty much perfect here at +40db with some slight
          > fading at night time.

          In Hull you have a 1215 also, maybe that's the strongest at your QTH?
          It surprised me that some LP's are also on 1215.

          There must be a reason for the low power tx. One is probably the
          higher noise in cities. But many just sit in the intersection of 2 or more
          main stations, and that's probably not accidental. Or are there hills
          shading the main tx?

          At least it's interesting to think about.

          > But otherwise a nice map, I wonder if there is also one for Talksport and BBC
          > 5 live etc?

          I attached Talksport map.

          Also I uploaded the new version (2.1.4.1) of StationList (see below)
          So you may create the maps yourself, it's a great "toy".

          Message 5 of 6 , Dec 1, 2017
            Hi Jurgen

            Yes this site also carries BBC Humberside 1485 and Talksport 1053, both 1kw whereas 1215 is about 350w. I think if 1215 was also at 1kw reception would be excellent as it starts to degrade at night if you travel about 20km south of Grimsby.

            I think this tx is needed possibly due to Moorside edge just being a little too far to provide robust skywave signal. However 909 which comes from there is a solid +40db in the day, but suffers co channel interference from Romania after dark.

            Thanks for that extra map, I'm not sure how to edit them but it would be good as I roughly know the coverage area of some of those lower powered tx sites!

            Regards Matt
            [Attachment(s) from Jurgen Bartels included below]

            Hi Matt,

            Message 6 of 6 , Dec 2, 2017
              Hi Matt,

              > Thanks for that extra map, I'm not sure how to edit them but it would be good
              > as I roughly know the coverage area of some of those lower powered tx sites!

              You can specify the power-to-circlesize ratio when generating the map
              in StationList. I just guessed that value, first I set it too large but then
              the main tx coverage looked a bit too large. Perhaps the
              power-to-coverageSize ratio is not linear?

              So download StationList and experiment with the settings. Press F1
              and see instructions in chapter-21 at the bottom page