231Re: [Thames_Barges] Re: Looking for info on Alfred Danikel andSon barge

  • Dave Schwain
    Mar 16, 2006
      Mike, I'm sorry to be late getting back to you, but I
      was traveling much of the last day or so. I appreciate
      your interest, and have tried to respond as best I
      can, with responses in caps. (Since getting your
      email, I have seen Michael Land's comments that it
      looks like a business sign. This might be the case,
      the words I've asked about appears in the lower left
      corner of this plaque, and I had assumed it referred
      to the ship. My comments are in caps: (THANK YOU AGAIN
      FOR YOUR INTEREST AND IDEAS!)

      --- Mike Wignall <thamesmatch@...> wrote:

      > --- In Thames_Barges@..., Dave Schwain
      > <dschwain@y...>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > Well ... I'm like dog with a bone on this!
      >
      > (a) what is the total number of letters involved in
      > the name - both
      > legible and illegible?
      > THERE APPEAR TO BE 13 LETTERS OR SPACES, ALTHOUGH
      THERE COULD BE ONE MORE OR LESS. THE FIRST THREE ARE
      DEFINITELY "GRA" AND THE LAST FIVE ARE DEFINITELY
      "PIEPS." I THINK THE FIRST FOUR ARE "GRAIN" FOLLOWED
      BY A SPACE BREAK OR LETTER, AND ANOTHER SPACE FOR A
      LETTER OR BREAK, FOLLOWED BY WHAT I THINK ARE SIX
      LETTERS "PPIEPS."
      > (b) do the letters form a single contiguous [smart
      > word :-)] word? AS I NOTED ABOVE, I CAN'T
      TELL..THERE MAY BE TWO WORDS

      > (c) you've got 2 dashes in your name. Does that
      > represent just two
      > illegible lettes in that perticular position - or
      > what? YES...HOPEFULLY I WAS CLEAR IN MY RESPONSE
      ABOVE

      > (d) do you think there's a "dash" in the middle of
      > the word which
      > might separate the barges name from a second word
      > e.g. a port of
      > registration? THIS SOUNDS LIKE A POSSIBLE ANSWER!
      >
      > Try looking at the name in different coloured light
      > ideally blue and
      > red and at different angles to help pick out colour!
      > THAT WAS A GREAT IDEA, I TRIED AS YOU SUGGESTED, BUT
      WASN'T ABLE TO GET ANYTHING NEW .

      > We should be able to crack this - the identifiable
      > sequence of
      > letters are quite helpful in a way.
      >
      > My semi-guess would be based on this skeleton entry
      > in a lsit I hold:
      >
      > ************
      >
      > VERHEYDEN, P., (????-????): ????, Dunkirk, France,
      > ????-????; owner
      > SB Gravelines I [ex Ena 1905)], 1905-1912; [NB
      > should 1905 be 1906?]
      > SB Gravelines II [ex Hilda (1906)]; 1907-1912;

      > How about "Gravelines"? Would that fit? Then there's
      > the "ppieps"
      > bit. I wonder if Verheyeden registered her in
      > Dieppe? Problem is I'm
      > not aware that Gravelines [1 or 2] were ever owned
      > by Daniels :-(
      >
      > Mike

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Show all 11 messages in this topic