232Re: Looking for info on Alfred Danikel andSon barge

  • Mike Wignall
    Mar 18, 2006
      Dave,

      I don't think that the lettering is likely to be a barge name. It
      would not warrant having a special place on a business sign unless a
      particular barge was special and thus a unique selling point. Any
      barge name would have been on the carving itself, I'd say.

      So ... GRAIN ... I would say are a couple of words describing the
      type of trade Daniels was involved in. This board is in effect an
      advert! So it will be something like "Grain Merchant ..." or
      something that involves a word like "PPIEPS." I don't think your
      interpreation of this word is correct. I think some of the "P"s might
      be "R"s. I'm sure it's a word describing some *activity*.

      Michael - do you know if any has written a history of the Daniels
      family? The clue would be in there.

      Mike

      --- In Thames_Barges@..., Dave Schwain <dschwain@y...>
      wrote:

      > Mike, I'm sorry to be late getting back to you, but I
      > was traveling much of the last day or so. I appreciate
      > your interest, and have tried to respond as best I
      > can, with responses in caps. (Since getting your
      > email, I have seen Michael Land's comments that it
      > looks like a business sign. This might be the case,
      > the words I've asked about appears in the lower left
      > corner of this plaque, and I had assumed it referred
      > to the ship. My comments are in caps: (THANK YOU AGAIN
      > FOR YOUR INTEREST AND IDEAS!)
      >
      > --- Mike Wignall <thamesmatch@y...> wrote:
      >
      > > --- In Thames_Barges@..., Dave Schwain
      > > <dschwain@y...>
      > > wrote:
      > > >
      > > Well ... I'm like dog with a bone on this!
      > >
      > > (a) what is the total number of letters involved in
      > > the name - both
      > > legible and illegible?
      > > THERE APPEAR TO BE 13 LETTERS OR SPACES, ALTHOUGH
      > THERE COULD BE ONE MORE OR LESS. THE FIRST THREE ARE
      > DEFINITELY "GRA" AND THE LAST FIVE ARE DEFINITELY
      > "PIEPS." I THINK THE FIRST FOUR ARE "GRAIN" FOLLOWED
      > BY A SPACE BREAK OR LETTER, AND ANOTHER SPACE FOR A
      > LETTER OR BREAK, FOLLOWED BY WHAT I THINK ARE SIX
      > LETTERS "PPIEPS."
      > > (b) do the letters form a single contiguous [smart
      > > word :-)] word? AS I NOTED ABOVE, I CAN'T
      > TELL..THERE MAY BE TWO WORDS
      > >
      > > (c) you've got 2 dashes in your name. Does that
      > > represent just two
      > > illegible lettes in that perticular position - or
      > > what? YES...HOPEFULLY I WAS CLEAR IN MY RESPONSE
      > ABOVE
      > >
      > > (d) do you think there's a "dash" in the middle of
      > > the word which
      > > might separate the barges name from a second word
      > > e.g. a port of
      > > registration? THIS SOUNDS LIKE A POSSIBLE ANSWER!
      > >
      > > Try looking at the name in different coloured light
      > > ideally blue and
      > > red and at different angles to help pick out colour!
      > > THAT WAS A GREAT IDEA, I TRIED AS YOU SUGGESTED, BUT
      > WASN'T ABLE TO GET ANYTHING NEW .
      > >
      > > We should be able to crack this - the identifiable
      > > sequence of
      > > letters are quite helpful in a way.
      > >
      > > My semi-guess would be based on this skeleton entry
      > > in a lsit I hold:
      > >
      > > ************
      > >
      > > VERHEYDEN, P., (????-????): ????, Dunkirk, France,
      > > ????-????; owner
      > > SB Gravelines I [ex Ena 1905)], 1905-1912; [NB
      > > should 1905 be 1906?]
      > > SB Gravelines II [ex Hilda (1906)]; 1907-1912;

      > > How about "Gravelines"? Would that fit? Then there's
      > > the "ppieps"
      > > bit. I wonder if Verheyeden registered her in
      > > Dieppe? Problem is I'm
      > > not aware that Gravelines [1 or 2] were ever owned
      > > by Daniels :-(
      > >
      > > Mike

      > http://mail.yahoo.com

    • Show all 11 messages in this topic