264Re: Thames Sailing Barge No. 109881 'Dannebrog'

  • Mike Wignall
    Nov 1, 2006
      Dear Anon [!]

      Here's a thumbnail history of the barge and a pic:

      http://www.thamesbarge.org.uk/barges/barges/dannebrog.html

      Here's a more complete history:

      Dannebrog of Harwich, Off. No. 109881

      built 1901 by McLearon at Harwich, a ketch barge of 71 tons, for S.
      R. Groom, and a sister ship to Alice May. Later altered to a spritsail
      rig, to an auxiliary in 1949, and a full motor barge in 1955.
      Re-rigged in 1970's, then became a static exhibition barge in St.
      Katherine's Dock for Taylor Woodrow from 1974. Sold in 1992, berthed
      at Hoo Marina 1994 - refitting by owner Peter Sands. Badly damaged
      Spring 1996 when on a very high tide she was stranded athwart a
      concrete lighter at Hoo resulting in a large hole in her bottom (poss
      broken back??) Other owners include A. Wife, Cranfield Bros., and R &
      W Paul (1967). (Photo p. 32, Down Topsail)

      Source: "Bob's Book Of Barges" [unpublished]

      HTH.

      Regards,

      Mike Wignall

      www.thamesmatch.co.uk

      --- In Thames_Barges@..., "nb.alnwick" <nb.alnwick@y...>
      wrote:

      > I am the owner of a narrowboat built by R. W Davis of Saul, Glos. The
      > boat was built as a prototype to accommodate a Kelvin K3 marine diesel
      > engine - the engine fitted to our boat was originally fitted to the
      > sailing barge 'Dannebrog' by Richard's Ironworks of Lowestoft in 1954;
      > I have copies of the invoice, delivery note and associated paperwork.
      >
      > The late George Bergius, who designed the engine believed that the
      > unit supplied in 1954 would have been a replacement for an earlier but
      > similar engine - he based his assumption on the fact that no control
      > equipment or installation materials were supplied with it. R W Davis
      > acquired the engine for restoration at the end of 1993.
      >
      > I am trying to find out more about the 'Dannebrog' - so far I have
      > established that it was acquired from Pauls by the contractors
      > developing St. Katherines Dock during the 1970s and that it may have
      > been on display there for about twenty years before being towed to the
      > Rochester area where it may have been broken up.
      >
      > It would be especially helpful if I could trace a photograph of the
      > 'Dannebrog'.
      >
      > Can anyone help?
      >

      > Delete Reply Forward

    • Show all 4 messages in this topic