old photos

  • veloce499
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 7, 2005
      Hello All

      in the course of some researches on related matters Ive come across a
      couple of photos that might be of interest - now these may be 'well
      known' to you all - if so I apologize - but read on anyway, just in
      case:

      From Barry Barnes (no relation) excellent 'Grays Thurrock Revisited'
      ISBN 0850337968, Phillimore & Co. Ltd, 1991

      1. circa 1905 - the Thames Barge 'Progress of Rochester' at the Grays
      Co-op Society (GCS) wharf, Grays, loaded with wheat.

      2. circa 1910 - the three crew members of the Clara at Stanford le
      Hope wharf. The caption states that she was owned by Amrose Ellis of
      Stanford, and came first in a barge race on the Medway in 1896.

      and from the same authors earlier work 'Grays Thurrock' ISBN
      0850336600 of 1988 (same publisher)

      3. 1908 - the barge Eliza of Rochester at Fobbing Wahrf

      4. 1910 - unnmaed barge taking on hay at Stanford Le Hope wharf

      Regards all
      Andrew
    • Gerry Elvy
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 7, 2005
         Hi Andrew:
        Have you posted these to the Yahoo Group yet?

        Gerry Elvy
        gelvy@...
        in the course of some researches on related matters Ive come across a
        couple of photos that might be of interest - now these may be 'well
        known' to you all - if so I apologize - but read on anyway, just in
        case:

        >From Barry Barnes (no relation) excellent 'Grays Thurrock Revisited'
        ISBN 0850337968, Phillimore & Co. Ltd, 1991

        1. circa 1905 - the Thames Barge 'Progress of Rochester' at the Grays
        Co-op Society (GCS) wharf, Grays, loaded with wheat.

        2. circa 1910 - the three crew members of the Clara at Stanford le
        Hope wharf.  The caption states that she was owned by Amrose Ellis of
        Stanford, and came first in a barge race on the Medway in 1896.

        and from the same authors earlier work 'Grays Thurrock' ISBN
        0850336600 of 1988 (same publisher)

        3. 1908 - the barge Eliza of Rochester at Fobbing Wahrf

        4. 1910 - unnmaed barge taking on hay at Stanford Le Hope wharf

        Regards all
        Andrew

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        .
        Add FUN to your email - CLICK HERE!
      • veloce499
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 8, 2005
          Hello Gerry

          no - but I am seeking permission to do so. I will post at a later
          date if I can.

          for now I simply give the references - I think both books are
          fairly readily available 2nd hand via Ebay/Amazon etc.

          Regards
          Andrew

          --- In Thames_Barges@..., "Gerry Elvy" <gelvy@a...>