Thames Sailing Barge No. 109881 'Dannebrog'

  • nb.alnwick
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 23, 2006
      I am the owner of a narrowboat built by R. W Davis of Saul, Glos. The
      boat was built as a prototype to accommodate a Kelvin K3 marine diesel
      engine - the engine fitted to our boat was originally fitted to the
      sailing barge 'Dannebrog' by Richard's Ironworks of Lowestoft in 1954;
      I have copies of the invoice, delivery note and associated paperwork.

      The late George Bergius, who designed the engine believed that the
      unit supplied in 1954 would have been a replacement for an earlier but
      similar engine - he based his assumption on the fact that no control
      equipment or installation materials were supplied with it. R W Davis
      acquired the engine for restoration at the end of 1993.

      I am trying to find out more about the 'Dannebrog' - so far I have
      established that it was acquired from Pauls by the contractors
      developing St. Katherines Dock during the 1970s and that it may have
      been on display there for about twenty years before being towed to the
      Rochester area where it may have been broken up.

      It would be especially helpful if I could trace a photograph of the
      'Dannebrog'.

      Can anyone help?

      Delete Reply Forward
    • Mike Wignall
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 1, 2006
        Dear Anon [!]

        Here's a thumbnail history of the barge and a pic:

        http://www.thamesbarge.org.uk/barges/barges/dannebrog.html

        Here's a more complete history:

        Dannebrog of Harwich, Off. No. 109881

        built 1901 by McLearon at Harwich, a ketch barge of 71 tons, for S.
        R. Groom, and a sister ship to Alice May. Later altered to a spritsail
        rig, to an auxiliary in 1949, and a full motor barge in 1955.
        Re-rigged in 1970's, then became a static exhibition barge in St.
        Katherine's Dock for Taylor Woodrow from 1974. Sold in 1992, berthed
        at Hoo Marina 1994 - refitting by owner Peter Sands. Badly damaged
        Spring 1996 when on a very high tide she was stranded athwart a
        concrete lighter at Hoo resulting in a large hole in her bottom (poss
        broken back??) Other owners include A. Wife, Cranfield Bros., and R &
        W Paul (1967). (Photo p. 32, Down Topsail)

        Source: "Bob's Book Of Barges" [unpublished]

        HTH.

        Regards,

        Mike Wignall

        www.thamesmatch.co.uk

        --- In Thames_Barges@..., "nb.alnwick" <nb.alnwick@y...>
        wrote:

        > I am the owner of a narrowboat built by R. W Davis of Saul, Glos. The
        > boat was built as a prototype to accommodate a Kelvin K3 marine diesel
        > engine - the engine fitted to our boat was originally fitted to the
        > sailing barge 'Dannebrog' by Richard's Ironworks of Lowestoft in 1954;
        > I have copies of the invoice, delivery note and associated paperwork.
        >
        > The late George Bergius, who designed the engine believed that the
        > unit supplied in 1954 would have been a replacement for an earlier but
        > similar engine - he based his assumption on the fact that no control
        > equipment or installation materials were supplied with it. R W Davis
        > acquired the engine for restoration at the end of 1993.
        >
        > I am trying to find out more about the 'Dannebrog' - so far I have
        > established that it was acquired from Pauls by the contractors
        > developing St. Katherines Dock during the 1970s and that it may have
        > been on display there for about twenty years before being towed to the
        > Rochester area where it may have been broken up.
        >
        > It would be especially helpful if I could trace a photograph of the
        > 'Dannebrog'.
        >
        > Can anyone help?
        >

        > Delete Reply Forward

      • nb.alnwick
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 1, 2006
          --- In Thames_Barges@..., "Mike
          Wignall" <thamesmatch@y...> wrote:

          > Here's a thumbnail history of the barge and a pic:
          >
          > http://www.thamesbarge.org.uk/barges/barges/dannebrog.html

          <remainder of post snipped for brevity>

          Mike,

          Thank you for taking the trouble to post a reply. The information has
          been most helpful and I am also grateful to those who emailed me
          privately. I did not intend for my original post to be anonymous -
          just put it down to my inexperience with this board.

          I would still like to obtain an original photograph or print of SB
          Dannebrog and any help in this respect would be greatly appreciated.

          I am a great admirer of the Thames Barges and similar vessels and
          especially those of you who work so hard to keep them afloat . . .

          Best Wishes,
          Graham Oliver
        • Graham Oliver
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 27, 2006
            Thank you to everyone who provided information about sb Dannebrog.
            I have now uploaded a website with details of our unique narrowboat
            'Alnwick' at: http://www.grahamoliver.com
            There is a small section in the website which refers to the Kelvin K3
            engine and the donor Thames Barge. I am still looking for photographs
            of the Dannebrog if anyone can help it would be appreciated.