RE: UK_Selfbuild Building Costs

  • Nick Laurie
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 1, 2006
      That sounds well over the top - though perhaps not once you've factored
      the builder's profit into it. Knock 40% off and you should come closer
      to a [theortical] selfbuid cost.

      Nick

      Nick Laurie PC Repairs
      01458 250834
      07941 731 056
      Skype: nicklaurie
      nb: change of email address from 21/11/05

    • Jeffery Hardy
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 1, 2006
        If I were doing it again, I might well even bin the builder and PM it myself. This needs extremely good PM skills if you're on a tight timescale, but is a little easier if you're not in a great hurry. Reckon I'd probably have saved £5 - £10k.

        The advantage with an extension is that there shouldn't be a crucial stage like on ours where we had to remove the existing roof and replace it - a bit worrying with the UK climate!

        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 8, 2006
          Our experience with architects is that they can make a really good
          contribution, in the right circumstances ... but contriving those
          circumstances / defining the brief & constraints is very difficult,
          especially if is not oneself an architect - they have their own language !

          Chris

          Rex wrote:

          > Thanks for all the input, really appreciated.
          >
          > Fortunately, we will not be living in a caravan.
          >
          > Hardly ever watch TV, let alone Grand Design.
          >
          > And seem to be having problems with architects who appear at first to
          > be on
          > our wavelength. The first architect was with company A, the new one is
          > Company B (Scandia Hus.) Have also spent a few hours with an independent
          > architect who chatted with us, got all the information and then
          > proceeded to
          > not totally redesign the house, which was not how I saw the brief. And
          > since I get charged for all this work, it seems that I am in the wrong
          > profession!
          >
          > Take care, take it easy and don't forget to smell the flowers!
          >
          > Rex
        • Chris Hunter
          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 8, 2006
            'not sure why an architect would be necessary, with a kit house ... ?

            Chris

            Rex wrote:

            > Thanks for all the input, really appreciated.
            >
            > Fortunately, we will not be living in a caravan.
            >
            > Hardly ever watch TV, let alone Grand Design.
            >
            > And seem to be having problems with architects who appear at first to
            > be on
            > our wavelength. The first architect was with company A, the new one is
            > Company B (Scandia Hus.) Have also spent a few hours with an independent
            > architect who chatted with us, got all the information and then
            > proceeded to
            > not totally redesign the house, which was not how I saw the brief. And
            > since I get charged for all this work, it seems that I am in the wrong
            > profession!
            >
            > Take care, take it easy and don't forget to smell the flowers!
            >
            > Rex
          • Peter and Jane
            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 8, 2006
              The approach we took was to talk to an Architectural Technician who
              introduced an architect. It is true to say the architect had ideas and
              concepts on a different plane from ours (and the technician's). Some of his
              ideas we really liked. The overall concept that he tried to push (a house
              that went up on a site that sloped down) was not what we wanted. So we
              worked with the technician to incorporated the architects ideas that we
              liked into a design that was how we wanted it. We would never have succeeded
              without the free thinking input from the architect, but the technician was
              much better at taking instructions and developing things the way we wanted
              them. I have found it fascinating in this thread that some architects seem
              to want to push clients to accept their ideas instead of adapting and
              interpreting the client's requirements and preferences.
              Our experience was that the technician was more pragmatic.
              Rgds
              Peter

              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 8, 2006
                You can't tar all architects with the same brush.

                My architect (for £1650)...

                Surveyed current property
                Did plans for minor internal change
                Submitted bldg regs
                Did sketch plans for extension (60sqm)
                Refined sketch plans with about 4 or 5 changes each time (all from me..)
                Researched products I wanted (Actis and Fermacell)
                Completed Planning plans
                Submitted Planning App and Chased
                Submitted B/regs plans and app

                We got a set of plans that we were very happy with, and included things I
                hadn't thought about. He works for himself, and has extensive local knowledge
                about the planning process also.

                This is only for £150 more than I was quoted by an architectural technician.

                My brickie was only saying today that his next job, the plans were done by a
                large company and they are missing a number of key dimensions !It makes
                working to them problematic, and I bet they cost more than £1650....

                Cheers

                Peter