Linking to Family Group Web Pages

  • Ron Ferguson
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 11, 2007
      Hi,

      Some time ago a member mentioned difficulty in in finding how to
      trace an individual in Family Group webpages. At that time I had not
      used this type of webpage and was unable to make suggestions. Having
      now used them for a few months on my Tiscali site I have hit the same
      problem.

      This site is basically a one-name site comprising the Fergusons who
      lived in the north west of England. Because of it's nature it may
      contain duplicates and also names of people who cannot be linked with
      any degree of certainty but who I suspect are related to someone else
      on the site.

      For these people I make a reference in their Notes and a link to the
      the person to whom they may be related or could be a duplicate. The
      problem is then whenever the site is updated the names of the files
      change, so each link has to be checked individually and then changed.
      This is quite time consuming and will get worse as the size of the
      site grows.

      My question is - has anybody found a way of predicting what each
      individual's file name will be before creating the web pages? This
      basically involves knowing the algorithm which Legacy uses to
      allocate the file order.

      Ron Ferguson
    • Wm Voss
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 11, 2007
        The manner in which Legacy crawls a tree when building a set of pages is
        apparently regarded as a deep secret. It is also an issue when trying to
        build specific indexes for large trees in pedigree that get broken into
        multiple folders -- you can't predict, build to build, where a person
        might end up.

        The best you can do in your case is search in files for the person's
        anchor -- if married it is the MRIN; if single, the RIN.

        Wm Voss

        Ron Ferguson wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > Some time ago a member mentioned difficulty in in finding how to
        > trace an individual in Family Group webpages. At that time I had not
        > used this type of webpage and was unable to make suggestions. Having
        > now used them for a few months on my Tiscali site I have hit the same
        > problem.
        >
        > This site is basically a one-name site comprising the Fergusons who
        > lived in the north west of England. Because of it's nature it may
        > contain duplicates and also names of people who cannot be linked with
        > any degree of certainty but who I suspect are related to someone else
        > on the site.
        >
        > For these people I make a reference in their Notes and a link to the
        > the person to whom they may be related or could be a duplicate. The
        > problem is then whenever the site is updated the names of the files
        > change, so each link has to be checked individually and then changed.
        > This is quite time consuming and will get worse as the size of the
        > site grows.
        >
        > My question is - has anybody found a way of predicting what each
        > individual's file name will be before creating the web pages? This
        > basically involves knowing the algorithm which Legacy uses to
        > allocate the file order.
        >
        > Ron Ferguson

        > If you have any questions about the group they may be answered in the FAQ in the Database
        >
        > If your question is still not answered please contact Ron at:
        > webuserlegacy@...
        >
        > To unsubscribe please send a blank email to:
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Ronald Ferguson
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 12, 2007
          Hi Wm,

          That's the way I do it at the moment using the HTML Name Index to find the name, going to the page to get the file number and then using the Search facility of PSPad to get the RIN/MRIN.

          This in itself is time consuming but given a large number of Fergusons with the same first name it gets even worse. I can see why some things might be a closely guarded secret but not the way that file numbers are allocated!

          Many thanks for your input but I guess I'll have to persevere until the task either gets out of hand or I crack the way they do it!

          Visit My Websites at:
          http://www.fergys.co.uk
          and
          http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/fergys/