linking pictures

  • bob malloy
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 30, 2007
      I would like to link multiple pictures to one name when I publish my
      web page. I thought I would be able to do it with the repository url,
      but it doesn't seem to do the trick...
      can anyone offer any help on how to handle multiple pics for one name?
      thanx
      bob
    • Ronald Ferguson
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 30, 2007
        Hi Bob,

        I'm afraid that I am not clear about what you are asking. Pictures are positioned into places on a web page as specified by the author and there are various ways of doing this from within Legacy or entering the code directly into the web page. I have difficulty in imagining how multiple pictures attached to a name would look on the web page, perhaps you could clarify this for me. I am also uncertain as to what you mean by the "repository url" as this is a term which I have not come across.

        Ron Ferguson

        Visit My Websites at:
        http://www.fergys.co.uk
        and
        http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/fergys/

        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 30, 2007
          Ron My apologies for being unclear....when I read it I wasn't sure what I meant by that....
          What I have been trying to do is to provide access to all my pics pertaining to a particular individual. I had thought I could use the repository url link to link to a page which would hold a gallery of sorts for that particular person, but that doesn't seem to work. (Under the source pop-up there is a tab for "repository" and under that tab is a place for a url for where the document is being held.) When I use that option the web address shows up in the source information (superscript beside individual's name) but it is not an active link, just the text of the link.
          I really don't want to have to edit the links each time I update my web pages. I tied to put a link as a description of the primary picture, but that didn't work either.
          thanx again for your efforts...
          bob
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          Malloy Family Heritage Website
          www.malloyheritage.com

          Hand turned wooden wine bottle stoppers
          www.statequarterbottlestoppers.com

          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 30, 2007
            I have had occassion to do this sort of thing and the best work-around
            for Legacy's poor picture handling is to make an event with a definiton
            something like:

            name: Photo Gallery
            show: Description field

            Using this, you can fill in the gallery web page in the Description
            field and name of an image that says "click here" or whatever in the
            notes (if you always use the same one, you could put this part in the
            sentence definition, as well). See here for a very hasty rendition:

            http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~silversmiths/makers/silversmiths/x205651.htm

            I just made the reference jump to my home page, but you could send it to
            a slide show or composite image page.

            Wm Voss

            Bob Malloy wrote:
            > Ron My apologies for being unclear....when I read it I wasn't sure what I meant by that....
            > What I have been trying to do is to provide access to all my pics pertaining to a particular individual. I had thought I could use the repository url link to link to a page which would hold a gallery of sorts for that particular person, but that doesn't seem to work. (Under the source pop-up there is a tab for "repository" and under that tab is a place for a url for where the document is being held.) When I use that option the web address shows up in the source information (superscript beside individual's name) but it is not an active link, just the text of the link.
            > I really don't want to have to edit the links each time I update my web pages. I tied to put a link as a description of the primary picture, but that didn't work either.
            > thanx again for your efforts...
            > bob
            > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            > Malloy Family Heritage Website
            > www.malloyheritage.com
            >
            > Hand turned wooden wine bottle stoppers
            > www.statequarterbottlestoppers.com

          • Ronald Ferguson
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 31, 2007
              Hi Bob,

              Many thanks for the clarification. When you mentioned "repository" I was still thinking in terms of web pages rather than sources :-o.

              Wm has given the answers to your points, but just in case you are not aware, the double angle brackets must be created using Alt and numbers on the Number Pad on your PC (not the numerals at the top of the keyboard).

              « is Alt+174 and » is Alt+175

              Bob Malloy wrote:
              > Ron My apologies for being unclear....when I read it I wasn't sure what I meant by that....
              > What I have been trying to do is to provide access to all my pics pertaining to a particular individual. I had thought I could use the repository url link to link to a page which would hold a gallery of sorts for that particular person, but that doesn't seem to work. (Under the source pop-up there is a tab for "repository" and under that tab is a place for a url for where the document is being held.) When I use that option the web address shows up in the source information (superscript beside individual's name) but it is not an active link, just the text of the link.
              > I really don't want to have to edit the links each time I update my web pages. I tied to put a link as a description of the primary picture, but that didn't work either.
              > thanx again for your efforts...
              > bob
              > ~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~
              > Malloy Family Heritage Website
              > www.malloyheritage. com
              >
              > Hand turned wooden wine bottle stoppers
              > www.statequarterbot tlestoppers. com

              Support the World Aids Awareness campaign this month with Yahoo! For Good http://uk.promotions.yahoo.com/forgood/
            • Bob Malloy
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 31, 2007
                Thanx Wm and Ron....On my way to work so I will try that tonight when I get it....appreciate thehelp...
                bob

                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

                Bob Malloy wrote:
                > Ron My apologies for being unclear....when I read it I wasn't sure what I meant by that....
                > What I have been trying to do is to provide access to all my pics pertaining to a particular individual. I had thought I could use the repository url link to link to a page which would hold a gallery of sorts for that particular person, but that doesn't seem to work. (Under the source pop-up there is a tab for "repository" and under that tab is a place for a url for where the document is being held.) When I use that option the web address shows up in the source information (superscript beside individual's name) but it is not an active link, just the text of the link.
                > I really don't want to have to edit the links each time I update my web pages. I tied to put a link as a description of the primary picture, but that didn't work either.
                > thanx again for your efforts...
                > bob
                > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                > Malloy Family Heritage Website
                > www.malloyheritage.com
                >
                > Hand turned wooden wine bottle stoppers
                > www.statequarterbottlestoppers.com

              • Mary Young
                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 31, 2007
                  You can build up a picture-story by attaching to events (one picture to each
                  event). Here's my rather clumsy attempt
                  http://redhunter.com/cmy/ped-lewis/40.htm
                  Or create a new generic Event (e.g. Photo). Then alter the Sentence
                  Definition so that ONLY THE NOTES FIELD appears, you have complete freedom
                  with text for each picture.
                  This is the easiest option, all WITHIN LEGACY, so no worries about url's
                  etc.
                  On the other hand, linking to a slideshow sounds really neat <smile>
                  Regards
                  Mary

                • Bob Malloy
                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 31, 2007
                    Well I have had a chance to work on the suggestions and by golly they work...
                    http://www.malloyheritage.com/f15.htm#f3

                    Wm...I used your definition and after figuring out the square brackets don't go there in the final draft, it works great....thank you.
                    Gordon...your instructions are great, very clear, and helped me get Wm's string to work...thanx

                    I didn't realize for quite a few trys that the version I am using (the free version) is different that the Deluxe edition. The sentence definition is nowhere to be found in the free version. I have emailed Legacy a couple of time to find out about handling pictures, and they sent me here because you folks fix the issues better than they could. I bought another program recently and then realized it wouldn't handle pictures at all, so I wanted to make sure I could do the pics on line before purchasing...It looks like this will work fine for me.....
                    For those following me...
                    The double angle brackets mentioned by Gordon are not on the character ribbon you show....you would need to use the ALT tag Ron mentioned, or copy the string Wm provided.

                    Thank you all for your help...
                    bob malloy

                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

                    Bob Malloy wrote:
                    > Ron My apologies for being unclear....when I read it I wasn't sure what I meant by that....
                    > What I have been trying to do is to provide access to all my pics pertaining to a particular individual. I had thought I could use the repository url link to link to a page which would hold a gallery of sorts for that particular person, but that doesn't seem to work. (Under the source pop-up there is a tab for "repository" and under that tab is a place for a url for where the document is being held.) When I use that option the web address shows up in the source information (superscript beside individual's name) but it is not an active link, just the text of the link.
                    > I really don't want to have to edit the links each time I update my web pages. I tied to put a link as a description of the primary picture, but that didn't work either.
                    > thanx again for your efforts...
                    > bob
                    > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    > Malloy Family Heritage Website
                    > www.malloyheritage.com
                    >
                    > Hand turned wooden wine bottle stoppers
                    > www.statequarterbottlestoppers.com

                  • Ronald Ferguson
                    Message 9 of 10 , Dec 31, 2007
                      Bob,

                      Great it is working. You can add your own characters to that ribbon - see the Legacy help files and if you are going to use Alt+174 and Alt+175 a lot you can include them (I *think* that works in the standard version)

                      Best wishes for the new year,

                      Bob Malloy wrote:
                      > Ron My apologies for being unclear....when I read it I wasn't sure what I meant by that....
                      > What I have been trying to do is to provide access to all my pics pertaining to a particular individual. I had thought I could use the repository url link to link to a page which would hold a gallery of sorts for that particular person, but that doesn't seem to work. (Under the source pop-up there is a tab for "repository" and under that tab is a place for a url for where the document is being held.) When I use that option the web address shows up in the source information (superscript beside individual's name) but it is not an active link, just the text of the link.
                      > I really don't want to have to edit the links each time I update my web pages. I tied to put a link as a description of the primary picture, but that didn't work either.
                      > thanx again for your efforts...
                      > bob
                      > ~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~
                      > Malloy Family Heritage Website
                      > www.malloyheritage. com
                      >
                      > Hand turned wooden wine bottle stoppers
                      > www.statequarterbot tlestoppers. com

                      now.
                      http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/
                    • Bob Malloy
                      Message 10 of 10 , Dec 31, 2007
                        Thanx Ron,
                        Its kinda mute point right now....Once I found out I can do the pics, I ordered the "real"version, so I'll have it....and yes I will be using it quite a bit...I have about 600 pics to hook up...thanx again for your help....
                        Have a gr8 '08
                        Bob