Help with a sitemap

  • bobbysushi
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 7, 2008
      Hi - I'm new to fiddling with websites. Browsing no problems, but
      other than that, its baby steps for me.

      I've uploaded my pages, and the next step is to do my sitemap. I've
      registered the site with google webmaster tools, then read about this
      sitemap i have to do. Seems a bit painfull. Never mind, gotta do it.

      What would be the best way for me to go about this. I've seen some
      online generators for sitemaps, but i'm a bit hesitant to use those
      unless recommended.

      Suggestions for a sitemap for a newbie?

      Thanks,
      Bobby.
    • Bob Janice
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 7, 2008
        Bobby,

        I use the Google WebMaster Tools also and used the program "SiteMap
        Builder.Net" to generate the sitemap for my pages. Visit the homepage
        at http://www.sitemapbuilder.net/default.aspx and download their free
        program. I've used it for a couple of years now with no problems.

        Bob

      • bobbysushi@gmail.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 7, 2008
          Thanks Bob - will do.

          Bobby.
        • bobbysushi@gmail.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 7, 2008
            I tried the sitemapbuilder.net, and google webmasters tools, i had
            some problems.

            "Unsupported file format" - says google webmasters tools.

            When legacy produces these html pages, it saves the complete file as
            NAME.HTM - with no option to do it in small letters - is that a
            concern?

            Many of the files that sitemapbuilder compiled have the file name,
            then it has a series of characters, exactly like this
            /./././././././././././././././././././././././././././././././././././././././././././

            Also, when sitemapbuilder was processing the urls, it went to about
            1100 files, then i stopped it.. I only have about 950 files to
            process, where, how, why is it doing extra?

            Any suggestions?

            Thanks,
            Bobby.
          • bobbysushi@gmail.com
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 8, 2008
              After spending the last 4 hours or so trying get this sitemap sorted,
              it looks like i've found a proggie that works for my site. Dunno why
              others aint working, anyway, be that as it may.

              http://www.web-design-pros.ca/software/sitemapGenerator.html
            • Ronald Ferguson
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 8, 2008
                Bobby,

                I do not know the sitemap generators which have been suggested nor the one that you have found, so cannot help with those. Personally, I don't use them.

                I wonder,however, if you are clear as to why you want a sitemap. Spiders do not require sitemaps to follow html links, although I have noted that they do not always follow javascript links.

                I have a sitemap for the benefit of site users - you can see it at http://www.fergys.co.uk/genealogy/site.html and access it from any page by clicking the Home dropdown tabs in the Navigation Bar. This is written exclusively in javascript.

                On my Index Page you will see that I have all the separate blocks of pages included as html, this is for the benefit of browsers. The Sitemap is for users who may not be able to find what they are looking for.

                One thing which robots do look for is a robot.txt file, which is simply a txt file (written in Notepad is good enough) and saved exactly as "robots.txt, no caps., no spaces. All this contains is a list of the full URLs of pages which you do not want spidered and takes the form:

                Disallow:

                If you don't wish to disallow any then just create the page exactly as I have written. You can also block a page from being spidered using the meta tags - please let us know if you require more information on this.

                The robot,txt file is placed in the same folder as your index.html file.

                Hope this helps,

                Ron Ferguson

                 Visit My Websites at:
                http://www.fergys.co.uk
                and
                http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/fergys/

                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 8, 2008
                  Thanks for the reply Ron,

                  I simply dont have any experience so i'm not clear on anything. I read
                  and listen to people, and it just so happened that everything to start
                  with, pointed towards a sitemap - so off i went...

                  Hope i'm understanding you correctly here..
                  With regards a robot.txt file - how do i go about compiling the list
                  of urls? Manual is out of the question. I have the html files on my
                  PC, which are exact copies of those on the host. There are about 900
                  of these (.HTM files). Dont think i would need to use disallow.

                  Thanks for your input.
                  Bobby.
                • Ronald Ferguson
                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 8, 2008
                    Bobby,

                    WRT robots.txt I suggest that you have a look at http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=40360%c2%a0 - if the url breaks note that it has no spaces, or use http://tinyurl.com/yqp5tg.

                    If you do not wish to block a robot visiting a page then just put the text I gave in my last email *exactly* as I wrote it in a robot.txt file in the folder containing your index.html page. Should you wish to block visits to some pages then use Disallow: /page.html/ and repeat for each URL on new lines. There is no need to enter URLs for the pages which you wish to be spidered.

                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 9, 2008
                      --- In WUL@..., bobbysushi@... wrote:

                      > I tried the sitemapbuilder.net, and google webmasters tools, i had
                      > some problems.
                      >
                      > "Unsupported file format" - says google webmasters tools.
                      >
                      > When legacy produces these html pages, it saves the complete file as
                      > NAME.HTM - with no option to do it in small letters - is that a
                      > concern?
                      >
                      > Many of the files that sitemapbuilder compiled have the file name,
                      > then it has a series of characters, exactly like this

                      /./././././././././././././././././././././././././././././././././././././././././././

                      > Also, when sitemapbuilder was processing the urls, it went to about
                      > 1100 files, then i stopped it.. I only have about 950 files to
                      > process, where, how, why is it doing extra?
                      >
                      > Any suggestions?
                      >
                      > Thanks,
                      > Bobby.

                      Legacy does have an option for the letter case of filenames. If your
                      filenames are all in uppercase that option must be the one selected.
                      On the Web page creation screen select the formatting tab
                      Filename options are in the lower left just above the max file count.
                      Choices are: Don't change case, convert to lowercase, convert to
                      uppercase.

                      Brian
                      Customer Support
                      Millennia Corporation
                      Brian@...
                      http://www.LegacyFamilyTree.com
                    • bobbysushi@gmail.com
                      Message 10 of 10 , Sep 9, 2008
                        Oh great. I thought that one was to do with the surnames that are
                        displayed, not web page creation names...

                        So, thanks.