WEB Pages

  • jjmeehan1343
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 14, 2008
      I've created 3 WEB Pages using Legacy and have not been able to figure
      out how to get the search engines to locate the sites. I have put in
      key words. Any suggestion. Sherry in customer service at Legacy is
      fantastic.
    • Ronald Ferguson
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 14, 2008
        The most effective way is to publicise it by,  for example, putting your URL at the bottom of public emails (as I do - see below).  Add your URL to other web sites eg use the LINKS button on the LUG site and add your URL to the list.

        Use Google search for "Google register my site" - this will take you to http://www.google.com/addurl/%c2%a0, "Yahoo register my site" for all search engines (do not use quotes btw.). Basically the more often search engines come across your site then the higher up the rankings you go. Beware, though, of what is called "Internet Spamming" as the engines are intelligent enough to spot these and will penalise you.

        Check that your meta tags have accurate and sufficient information especially your index page - Legacy allows you to insert these. Put a robot.txt file in each folder (see the LUG archives). If you use Face Book etc. get it mentioned on there - watch what I said about spamming though. Update regularly as the engines take more notice of sites which change the content regularly - try not to change your URLs though.

        Basically the search engines will, believe it or not, find your site within 3 months or so of you going on line. It is up to you to sell it the same as you would sell any other product.

        Ron Ferguson
         Visit My Websites at:
        http://www.fergys.co.uk
        and
        http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/fergys/

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 18, 2008
          Ron,

          Sorry for the delay in responding.  I have my primary Email accounts on Outlook and I forget to check Yahoo.  Anyway, your response was just what I needed.  I've registered my pages and will see what happens in a few months.

          I've been very impressed with Legacy support.  Sherry recommended this group and you for your knowledge.  I plan to upgrade to the deluxe version after Christmas.

          Thanks for your help,

          John  Meehan

          The Meehan Family:
          http://home.earthlink.net/~jjmeehan13/meehan-01/index.htm

          The O'Connor Family:
          http://home.earthlink.net/~jjmeehan13/o'connor-01/index.htm

          The Doyle Family:  http://home.earthlink.net/~jjmeehan13/doyle/index.htm

          Use Google search for "Google register my site" - this will take you to http://www.google. com/addurl/ , "Yahoo register my site" for all search engines (do not use quotes btw.). Basically the more often search engines come across your site then the higher up the rankings you go. Beware, though, of what is called "Internet Spamming" as the engines are intelligent enough to spot these and will penalise you.

          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 28, 2008
            Ron,

            Two questions,

            First, should I be using html vs htm?  What is the advantage?

            Second, How do I get the whole page of Legacy to appear on my computer screen?  I've attached a screen shot.

            John

            John Meehan

            WEB Pages: