Back to basics (sorry!)1.How to show 1 living person on pedigree webpage

  • brymanz1
    Message 1 of 7 , 16 Aug 15:00
      I tried to do a search on the messages for this because I know it is really basic and probably been done before but Yahoo won't let me.

      My website is here: http://tinyurl.com/ykwrgkz. Click the Parrott link to get to the page I'm referring to below.
      I want to show my own personal information - it's my pedigree file - without showing any other living people's details.
      I tried calling myself Invisible in Legacy and then checking Include Invisible individuals on the Who tab of the Create Webpage. But I still only get Living for my information on the webpage. Neither is my surname in the list. I'm sure it's easy but where to start!
      Also footers: If I use a custom footer (I like "...created on....and updated on...by...")and check Remove program-generated footers on the Links tab, I lose the Option of having my Home page link on each page (+ Surname, TOC, Name links as well). The program produced footer "Created on etc" is easily edited for the main pages but not on 400+ individual pages.
      I'm sure there's a work around somewhere. Forgive me if these topics are covered already in the list.
      Thanks
      Bryan
    • Ronald Ferguson
      Message 2 of 7 , 16 Aug 15:42
        Bryan,

        I will deal with the second part first, as it's easier! I don't know how familiar you are with HTML, but here is what Legacy puts in your footer:

        <hr noShade SIZE=3>

        href="http://homepages.slingshot.co.nz/~bryannp/parrott/index.html">Home</a> |

        2010 with <a href="http://www.LegacyFamilyTree.com">Legacy 7.4</a> from <a

        Select whatever you want from this and include it in the customised box and then check the remove Legacy generated footers. If you do not know exactly how to do this, please come back to us saying which part you would like to be deleted. *It is essential that you use Plain Text* when so doing.

        For the first part you cannot do this in Legacy, so what I would do is to create a Pedigree site comprising yourself, wife, children (if you have these - I didn't check) and your parents and both your paternal and maternal grandparents. I do this by tagging all these people and selecting only those with that tag when creating the pages. You can then swap your file from these (I guess it's 1.html) with the 1.html file which you have generated using the full Legacy file.

        Remember: Please use Plain Text when replying. It is not mandatory on this site but this email contains HTML which may play havoc otherwise!!

        Ron Ferguson

        Visit My Websites at:
        http://www.fergys.co.uk

        Message 3 of 7 , 16 Aug 17:41
          Hi Ron/Group
          Thank you. Both have worked very well. I don't get myself in the surname
          list with the tagged pedigree file but that's no big deal. I'm very good
          with HTML - as long as I copy other's text very carefully!
          Thanks again

        • Mary Young
          Message 4 of 7 , 17 Aug 05:05
            Hi Bryan
            Congrats on your website. I love your photo collages on the family homepages.
            Re your first query (showing your own details and not other Living people).
            I set most Living people as "Private".  This was done individually
            (can it be done globally?).
            My own page shows results http://cmy.iay.org.uk/ped-lewis/154.htm.
            You can see my birthname, but not my husband and children; you can
            deduce I have two children and five grandchildren but not their
            gender, or whether they are all Living.
            Relatives who've agreed to be shown are linked from my custom Legacy
            homepage http://cmy.iay.org.uk/ped-lewis/default.htm
            --
            Mary Young

            On 16 August 2010 23:00, brymanz1 <bryannp@...> wrote:
            > My website is here: http://tinyurl.com/ykwrgkz. Click the Parrott link to get to the page I'm referring to below.
            > I want to show my own personal information - it's my pedigree file - without showing any other living people's details.
            > I tried calling myself Invisible in Legacy and then checking Include Invisible individuals on the Who tab of the Create Webpage. But I still only get Living for my information on the webpage. Neither is my surname in the list. I'm sure it's easy but where to start!
            <snip>
            Bryan
          • Ronald Ferguson
            Message 5 of 7 , 17 Aug 06:54
              Mary,

              I too liked that photocollage.To answer your point re: Privacy, as such it is not possible to do this globally but when creating webpages the options are given to publish names only, or simply state "Living", for living people.

              My choice, unless the individual declines, is to publish only the name

              Visit My Websites at:

              http://www.fergys.co.uk

              Message 6 of 7 , 17 Aug 07:07
                For some reason a piece of my last post was not sent!! I went on to say that if a person does decline to publish their name then I mark that person as "Private", I do not use the "Living" option at all.

                Ron Ferguson

                Visit My Websites at:

                http://www.fergys.co.uk

                From: Mary Young <mary@...>

                To: WUL@...

                Date: Tuesday, 17 August, 2010, 13:05

                Message 7 of 7 , 17 Aug 10:59
                  Ron
                  I have many Living people in my database, it would be impossible to consult
                  them all, so they are marked Private unless they've "opted-in".

                  Mary Young