Using html in Notes

  • Sherry Slaughter
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 6, 2011
      I am continuing efforts to try to display images in my web pages without
      undue effort and room for error. It looks like I will have to enter the html
      link for each image in the notes as I write the biography. Here is the code
      I used for a census image:

      James appears in the household of his father in the «a HREF="
      http://website.com/genealogy/sources/cen.1840.jpg" Target="blank"» 1840
      census«/a» in Johnson County, Indiana, as between the ages of 5 and 10.

      The link and text appear correctly in the web page; however, when I generate
      an Individual Report on this individual, the html code displays exactly as I
      have it entered in the notes.

      I thought the html code for links would automatically be stripped out based
      upon this snippe\t from Legacy Help:

      "EMBEDDING HTML CODES INTO NOTES:

      ... When producing a web page or HTML file, the double angle bracket would
      be changed to regular angle brackets and the Legacy word would then become a
      link that would take the reader to the Legacy web site when clicked. When
      producing a report, the added codes would be removed so that the reader
      would not see them

      Other codes, such as bold and italics, are sent to both the HTML file and
      the printed report in the appropriate formats."

      When the Help file says these added codes would be removed, surely it
      doesn't mean each one individually by hand! Am I missing something?

      Thanks,

      Sherry

    • Wm
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 6, 2011
        No, you are not missing anything; the help article is just another bit of wishful thinking. The removal of non-text formatting has never been implemented. I make extensive use of coding in notes and long ago had to chose between maintaining two separate family files, with and without, or giving up paper reports. I opted for the latter.
      • Ronald
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 6, 2011
          Much to my regret Wm is correct and I too had to chose, and selected the same option as Wm.

          Ideally, Legacy would strip the html tags for reports and formatting codes such as 'tab' when converting to html, it does neither despite requests having be made for these options for years.

          Ron Ferguson
          http://www.fergys.co.uk/

          --- In WUL@..., "Wm" <bellafortuni@...> wrote:

          > No, you are not missing anything; the help article is just another bit of wishful thinking. The removal of non-text formatting has never been implemented. I make extensive use of coding in notes and long ago had to chose between maintaining two separate family files, with and without, or giving up paper reports. I opted for the latter.

        • Dave Miller
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 6, 2011
            When I place pictures for my web pages in the General, Research or Event
            Notes I use the 'Privacy Brackets', ie. [[ and ]].

            For your example;

            James appears in the household of his father in the [[<a HREF="

            <http://website.com/genealogy/sources/cen.1840.jpg>" Target="blank"> ]]1840

            census[[</a>]] in Johnson County, Indiana, as between the ages of 5 and 10.

            Then I can choose to not 'print [[ Private ]] notes' for reports or, 'print
            [[ Private ]] notes' for web pages and select 'Remove [[ ]]'.

            That works for me but, as Ron and Wm are not doing that and say it has been
            a problem for years, then I think I must be missing something here!

            Regards,

            Dave (NZ).

[...]

            by MailMarshal

          • Ronald Ferguson
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 6, 2011
              Dave,

              I cannot speak for Wm, but I use privacy brackets for other things in my notes such as information relating to an individual which I do not wish to publish. These may be things like notes to myself for future work, as well as personal stuff.

              Ron Ferguson

              Visit My Websites at:

              http://www.fergys.co.uk

              and

              http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/fergys/

              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 6, 2011
                As do I.

                Wm Voss

                On 06-Jan-11 2:55 PM, Ronald Ferguson wrote:
                > Dave,
                >
                > I cannot speak for Wm, but I use privacy brackets for other things in my notes such as information relating to an individual which I do not wish to publish. These may be things like notes to myself for future work, as well as personal stuff.
                >
                > Ron Ferguson
                >
                > Visit My Websites at:
                >
                > http://www.fergys.co.uk
                >
                > and
                >
                > http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/fergys/

              • Dennis Kowallek
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 6, 2011
                  On Thu, 6 Jan 2011 14:55:17 -0800 (PST), Ronald Ferguson
                  <ronfergy2000@...> wrote:

                  >I cannot speak for Wm, but I use privacy brackets for other things in my notes such as information relating to an individual which I do not wish to publish. These may be things like notes to myself for future work, as well as personal stuff.

                  Dave's suggestion would probably work IF you weren't using those
                  brackets for other stuff.

                  --

                  Dennis Kowallek (LTools)
                  dennis@...
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 6, 2011
                    Dennis,

                    I agree, it is also only a one-way solution, consider, for example a table which may contain URLs - I, know, an extreme example and used only to illustrate the point!

                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 6, 2011
                      But only for the narrow issue of embedding an image link (or the like).
                      If you use coding for tables, formatting letter transcriptions,
                      alternate characters, etc., you are stuck with the choices previously
                      offered.

                      Wm Voss

                      On 06-Jan-11 3:20 PM, Dennis Kowallek wrote:
                      > On Thu, 6 Jan 2011 14:55:17 -0800 (PST), Ronald Ferguson
                      > <ronfergy2000@...> wrote:
                      >
                      >> I cannot speak for Wm, but I use privacy brackets for other things in my notes such as information relating to an individual which I do not wish to publish. These may be things like notes to myself for future work, as well as personal stuff.
                      > Dave's suggestion would probably work IF you weren't using those
                      > brackets for other stuff.

                    • Dennis Kowallek
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jan 6, 2011
                        On Thu, 6 Jan 2011 15:24:24 -0800 (PST), Ronald Ferguson
                        <ronfergy2000@...> wrote:

                        >for example a table which may contain URLs

                        I never attempted that one! At most I put in a link to an image or a
                        webpage.

                        I could have swore that at one time Legacy removed the
                        double-angle-brackets (and everything in between them) when printing.
                        But it has been a long time since I printed anything.

                        Message 11 of 12 , Jan 6, 2011
                          I also thought that the angle brackets etc. had been stripped at one time, but it is not the case now. It may be that they were only stripped in certain functions eg. Research Notes (I am not being specific), but it has been so long since I last saw them stripped (if at all) that I cannot remember!

                          Message 12 of 12 , Jan 6, 2011
                            They haven't been stripped since v4 that I remember. They certainly
                            aren't in v5, where I still remain.

                            An embedded table with page links:
                            http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~silversmiths/makers/rtnrn/57230.htm

                            Wm Voss