Is This Group Active ?

  • BearJer
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 22, 2011
      Hi there. I joined this group not long ago thinking that I might learn something about using Legacy to upload pages to the web.

      So far, I have used TNG - The Next Generation of Genealogy Sitebuilding - for our website since that seems to be more robust than just uploading something to a "static" website, but I don't know much about the possibilities with Legacy related to the web. I love it for the desktop.

      So, any opinions on this or suggestions. What is the main impetus of this group?

      Thanks,

      Jerry / http://www.MerriamFamilyTree.org
    • Ronald Ferguson
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 22, 2011
        Jerry,

        Yes the group is active, but it will only be visibly so if users ask questions! A number of members use TNG, although personally I don't, using the Legacy Pedigree pages for my family site and Humogen (similar in principle to TNG) for my one-name study.

        You will find in the Links section of WUL a number of sites using different generators, but all use Legacy for their data. Please feel free to add your URL and details to the list.

        The aims are given at the top of the opening page of WUL, but the group has available a number of users with expertise in the range of websites, and in the coding used to write them. We are able, therefore to assist beginners and people with experience. So, if you have specific problems and/or questions we would love to hear from you.

        Ron Ferguson

        http://www.fergys.co.uk/

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 22, 2011
          Thanks Ron! I always find your comments very interesting on the Legacy
          Users' List. I'm sure I'll learn something here as well.

          Jerry - MerriamFamilyTree.org

          On 11/22/2011 10:07 AM, Ronald Ferguson wrote:
          > Jerry,
          >
          > Yes the group is active, but it will only be visibly so if users ask
          > questions! A number of members use TNG, although personally I don't,
          > using the Legacy Pedigree pages for my family site and Humogen (similar
          > in principle to TNG) for my one-name study.
          >
          > You will find in the Links section of WUL a number of sites using
          > different generators, but all use Legacy for their data. Please feel
          > free to add your URL and details to the list.
          >
          > The aims are given at the top of the opening page of WUL, but the group
          > has available a number of users with expertise in the range of websites,
          > and in the coding used to write them. We are able, therefore to assist
          > beginners and people with experience. So, if you have specific problems
          > and/or questions we would love to hear from you.
          >
          > Ron Ferguson
          >
          > http://www.fergys.co.uk/
          >
          > ________________________________

        • Sherry Slaughter
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 22, 2011
            Jerry:

            As much as I LOVE Legacy, I believe some of its greatest opportunities for
            improvement are in website generation. If you want to present source doc
            images, you'll likely have to hand-code the links in html. Also, you can't
            present a nice, clean narrative while using events. You have your choice to
            use bulleted lists or numbered lists, but not clean paragraphs.

            I still choose Legacy over any other software out there, and I've tried
            pretty much all of them. I'll keep using website workarounds until my wish
            list makes it to the top of the priority list for the programmers.

            Welcome! There are some very skilled Legacy users on this list who are very
            helpful.

            Sheryl

            On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 9:52 AM, BearJer <jerrysemailgroups@...> wrote:

            > **
            >

            > Hi there. I joined this group not long ago thinking that I might learn
            > something about using Legacy to upload pages to the web.
            >
            > So far, I have used TNG - The Next Generation of Genealogy Sitebuilding -
            > for our website since that seems to be more robust than just uploading
            > something to a "static" website, but I don't know much about the
            > possibilities with Legacy related to the web. I love it for the desktop.
            >
            > So, any opinions on this or suggestions. What is the main impetus of this
            > group?
            >
            > Thanks,
            >
            > Jerry / http://www.MerriamFamilyTree.org<http://www.merriamfamilytree.org/>

          • Jerry
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 22, 2011
              Thanks Sheryl!

              On 11/22/2011 9:40 PM, Sherry Slaughter wrote:
              > Jerry:
              >
              > As much as I LOVE Legacy, I believe some of its greatest opportunities for
              > improvement are in website generation. If you want to present source doc
              > images, you'll likely have to hand-code the links in html. Also, you can't
              > present a nice, clean narrative while using events. You have your choice to
              > use bulleted lists or numbered lists, but not clean paragraphs.
              >
              > I still choose Legacy over any other software out there, and I've tried
              > pretty much all of them. I'll keep using website workarounds until my wish
              > list makes it to the top of the priority list for the programmers.
              >
              > Welcome! There are some very skilled Legacy users on this list who are very
              > helpful.
              >
              > Sheryl
              >
              > On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 9:52 AM, BearJer<jerrysemailgroups@...> wrote:
              >
              >> **
              >>

              >> Hi there. I joined this group not long ago thinking that I might learn
              >> something about using Legacy to upload pages to the web.
              >>
              >> So far, I have used TNG - The Next Generation of Genealogy Sitebuilding -
              >> for our website since that seems to be more robust than just uploading
              >> something to a "static" website, but I don't know much about the
              >> possibilities with Legacy related to the web. I love it for the desktop.
              >>
              >> So, any opinions on this or suggestions. What is the main impetus of this
              >> group?
              >>
              >> Thanks,
              >>
              >> Jerry / http://www.MerriamFamilyTree.org<http://www.merriamfamilytree.org/>

              > If you have any questions about the group they may be answered in the FAQ in the Database
              >
              > If your question is still not answered please contact Ron at:
              > webuserlegacy@...
              >
              > To unsubscribe please send a blank email to:
              >
              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Ronald Ferguson
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 23, 2011
                Sheryl,

                There are many of us who feel this way, and who are hopeful that the next version of Legacy will at least produce pages which are standards compliant. A number of suggestions have been made to Legacy on this topic, although we actually have no idea what, if anything, they might be thinking of incorporating in V8 - and, no, we haven't a clue as to when this might be!

                At present anybody who wishes for validated Pedigree webpages is directed LTools deluxe, which not only produces validated webpages but also incorporates CSS, thus allowing easy changing of the fonts, colours, box sizes etc.. For those not familiar with CSS the Tutorials section of my web site gives easy to follow (I hope) explanations of how this can be done.

                Ron Ferguson

                 http://www.fergys.co.uk