Using 2 ethernet adapters

  • vmatheson2005
    Message 1 of 3 , 6 May

      Have a connection question...

      I have 2 Ethernet adapters and I want to access the internet on the 1gb adapter and use the second adapter to connect to the Afedri 2X.

      I have the secondary Ethernet adapter configured to 192.168.0.15 and the Afedri is connected and working properly in LAN mode.

      The 1gb card is configured to find the ip and dns automatically.

      When I enable the 1gb card I lose my connect to the afedri.

      The only way it does work is if I use a wireless usb stick for the internet and either adapter to the afedri configured to the 192.168.0.15

      I am wondering by enabling the 1gb adapter in auto find would it be enabling the DHCP server for both adapters.

      Networking is not one of my strong points  so help is needed.

      Thanks and 73

      Vernon - VE1VDM

    • alex4z5lv
      Message 2 of 3 , 6 May
        Vernon,
        It seams to be network conflict, both adapters configured to use the same subnetwork, so you should change or AFEDRI SDR subnetwork (for example change SDR IP address to 192.168.51.8 ) or internet, what is easier...

        I recommend to learn somehow network configuration principles, it makes live easier and required basic knowledge is not complicated.

        73!
        Alex
      • Conrad PA5Y
        Message 3 of 3 , 8 May
          In order to have simultaneous internet and Afedri use I use a wireless
          adapter for the internet and the Ethernet card for connection to a
          separate Ethernet switch to allow access to to the Afedri from various
          PCs. I also have Ethernet to serial interfaces to control rotators, PTT,
          CAT etc.

          You do not want unpredictable internet traffic on the same network as an
          Afedri if you are contemplating streaming of IQ data for instance. I
          have also tested this with 2 network interface cards on the same PC and
          it works fine.

          You need to set the metric of the network interface as described here:

          https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/27994/how-to-change-the-priority-of-wiredwireless-network-cards-in-windows/

          Set the wireless interface to Metric value 1 and the Ethernet port
          metric to 2, this will ensure that the PC uses the wireless port for for
          internet access.

          I can give specifics when I get home from work, I am not able to
          remember what I did

          Regards

          Conrad PA5Y