AFE822x dual CH and SDR-console 3

  • sdrnerd
    Message 1 of 5 , 18 Jul
      Alex, did you got around making the specific control files for the SDR-console 3 to Simon available?

      Like to use the radio for AM-DX recording by next month. It has a while since our last contact on this item, so I had to ask.

      Best 73'
      Ron - ON2RON

    • alex4z5lv
      Message 2 of 5 , 18 Jul
        Hello Ron,
        Sorry I am afraid I do not understand your question, Dual Channel related documentation was published on my web page long-long time ago and it is  available for everyone who interested, I know people that used this document for development of their own applications, for example SdrDX ...

        Related information was published here in this group and sdr-radio-tester group too.

        No problem to send to author the free AFE822x SDR-net sample for software development.

        Meanwhile  ready to use solution, I can propose to use other SDR applications that have Diversity reception support (PowerSDR_mrx, SdrDX, HDSDR + SDR_network_Control_box, Linrad)

        73!
        Alex
      • sdrnerd
        Message 3 of 5 , 18 Jul
          Hi Alex,

          I only use the AFE822x in single channel mode for MW-DX. Also 1.6 mHz bandwith is needed to cover the entire MW band for recording purpose during sevral hours at night. The drivers used in SDR-console are the one from the standard Afedri-NET sdr. Simon has requested you for a number of times to provide him with the exact drivers for the AFE822x as they are different as you made a different clock frequency in this radio. This means that the radio is never exactly on frequency as tuned true the bands.

          Again as in SdrDX, i alway use LAN control and never USB. In fact SDR-console is intended to work with LAN for you radios.

          I hope this makes things understandable.

          73' Ron
        • alex4z5lv
          Message 4 of 5 , 18 Jul
            Ron,
            1. Simon always uses "drivers" (if it is correct to call hardware related dll - drivers) in SDR-Radio application "drivers"   that he writes by him self, so he never asked me to provide the new drivers :-)
            2. The documentation that describes difference between single channel and Dual channel SDRs was prepared according Simon's request and published long time ago: AFE822x Protocol Extension
            3. Main clock / sample rate difference does not require protocol changes , it requires only software changes, I published on sdr-radio-test some  algorithm supposed for use (alternative implementations also possible).
            4  SdrDx uses LAN connection to SDR, I do no think that it can even use USB connection with AFEDRI/AFE822x SDRs  , so I suppose you writing about different application...
            73!
            Alex
          • sdrnerd
            Message 5 of 5 , 19 Jul
              Hi Alex,

              1. Yes that is true, hardware related dll, I will remember the correct term.

              2. I suspect Simon has not released a version with this protocol extention yet. Last month he wrote me that the AFE822x was not suported.

              3. Yes, I have tried SdrDx, but did not found it very practical for my use. Also the GUI is clutered and it does not offer the option to program unmanned recordings as is typical for MW-dx.

              So my only option for the Afedri sdr is SDR-console, hence my request. Many thanks for your input.

              Best 73'
              Ron - ON2RON