AFEDRI SDR-net rev.5.0 in stand-alone mode (i.e. internal DSP processing/demodulation)

  • alex4z5lv
    Message 1 of 7 , 6 Sep

      Hello All,

      I want to share with you some information relatively the new development in the AFEDRI / AFE822x SDR hardware / software.

      Present time I am working hard on the implementation of stand-alone mode for

      AFEDRI SDR-Net rev.5.0+.

      I’ve found that it is possible for AFEDRI SDR-Net rev.5.0 hardware to implement stand-alone functionality.

      What I mean stand-alone?

      It is mode when AFEDRi SDR make everything including signal decoding and spectrum (waterfall) displaying.

       This task is under very hard development present time, but prototype is working and do that job as expected and even better.

      I posted today some photos of working prototype, the GUI you will see there is far from the final realization, only to test concept.

      By the way the GUI – it is my the most serious problem in this project, I am not good in this area, so moving slowly.

         Below I try to give short information about AFEDRI- LCD stand-alone project:

      1. Present implementation based on the standard AFEDRI SDR-net rev.5.0 hardware. But in same time it requires some light modification.

      2. The new special firmware upgrade for CPU and FPGA required.

      3. Installation of two optional connectors (headers)

      4. Most important additional  LCD-Audio codec controller board required that is stacked into headers installed on the main AFEDRI’s PCB.

      5. For VHF/SHF version  SMT MOSFET should be removed and replaced by inductor.

      What stand-alone AFEDRi can do?

      1. It can do everything that all standard AFEDRi can with PC and specila SDR applications (HDSDR etc.),

      2. in addition AFEDRI stand-alone can decode internally

      AM, SSB, WFM (including stereo), NFM modulated signals and you can listen decoded sound on headphones  . No PC’s help needed.

      3. It has also embedded LCD with resolution 480x320 pixels and can display panoramic spectrum and waterfall.

      4. For embedded DSP the  96kHz and (optionally) 192kHz spectrum bandwidth is supported.

      You can see some pictures that has been uploaded  recently in the Photo area of this group

      73!

      Alex

    • wb8yqj
      Message 2 of 7 , 7 Sep
        This is a very exciting development Alex. I especially like the meter - keep up the great work!

        de Wb8yqj Don

        Hello All,

        I want to share with you some information relatively the new development in the AFEDRI / AFE822x SDR hardware / software.

      • Conrad PA5Y

          Message 4 of 7 , 7 Sep
            Don,
            Thanks.
            I am not sure that this "analog" meter will be in the final release :-)
            On the posted photo you see  the sketch, digital variant is more probable in the final.

            73!
            Alex
          • alex4z5lv
            Message 5 of 7 , 7 Sep
              Conrad,
              Thanks, In reality there is only one serious delay for me - it is final GUI design.

              Stand-alone mode it is not full replacement for PC-based SDR functionality, but I hope the good addition to it.

              Hope I can release it  for the public soon.
              73!
              Alex
            • alex4z5lv
              Message 6 of 7 , 7 Sep
                Some short video related to topic (by the way with alternative S-meter scale) :-)

                73!
                Alex

              • johan.letterstal@gmail.com
                Message 7 of 7 , 11 Sep