Acceptable input for Spyverter

  • Roman
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 20, 2016
      Is 0 dBm acceptable level for Spyverter? Or is it too much RF energy to overload it?

      Thank you for reply!
    • jdow
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 20, 2016
        In general that is up to the analog overload level for a diode based DBM. It is
        high enough you can expect severe analog spurious to appear. It should not burn
        the DBM out, though. (Traditionally the DBM has +7 dBm LO drive. So you have
        some decent margin if considering blowing the diodes.)

        {^_^}

        On 2016-10-20 01:03, Roman consulttelecom@... [airspy] wrote:

        > Is 0 dBm acceptable level for Spyverter? Or is it too much RF energy to overload it?
        >
        > Thank you for reply!

        > Posted by: Roman <consulttelecom@...>
      • sdrsharp

            On 2016-10-20 01:03, Roman consulttelecom@... [airspy] wrote:

            > Is 0 dBm acceptable level for Spyverter? Or is it too much RF energy to overload it?
            >
            > Thank you for reply!
            >

            > ------------------------------ ------------------------------ --------------------
            > Posted by: Roman <consulttelecom@...>
            > ------------------------------ ------------------------------ --------------------

          • jdow
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 20, 2016
              Good to know. Thanks for the information.

              {^_^}

              On 2016-10-20 11:31, sdrsharp@... [airspy] wrote:

              > The mixer in the SpyVerter is based on cmos switches, not diodes, and it
              > preserves its linearity over a large range. 0 dBm is more than comfortable. I'd
              > worry more about the device you have at its output.
              >

              > ---In airspy@..., <jdow@...> wrote :
              >
              > In general that is up to the analog overload level for a diode based DBM. It is
              > high enough you can expect severe analog spurious to appear. It should not burn
              > the DBM out, though. (Traditionally the DBM has +7 dBm LO drive. So you have
              > some decent margin if considering blowing the diodes.)
              >

              > {^_^}
              >

              > On 2016-10-20 01:03, Roman consulttelecom@...
              > <mailto:consulttelecom@...> [airspy] wrote:
              > >

              > > Is 0 dBm acceptable level for Spyverter? Or is it too much RF energy to overload it?
              > >
              > > Thank you for reply!

              > > Posted by: Roman <consulttelecom@... <mailto:consulttelecom@...>>

            • sdrsharp
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 20, 2016
                For the Airspy -10 dBm max. The conversion loss of the SpyVerter is less than 10dB. So you are at the edge.