Re: [Aixam and Microcar] Re: some seat news..Aixam

  • malcolm norris
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 9, 2004
      I found a very easy and cheap way to make relaint seats long lasting and comfey. Replace all the springs in the back with the thick springs as found in the bottom. Then put a piece of thin plastic card between the springs and foam (stops the springs cutting into the foam) Made my seats feel like new much firmer too more like a mordern car.

      virgoprestige <virgoprestige@...> wrote:
      --- In aixamandmicrocar@..., sidecar_jon
      <no_reply@y...> wrote:

      > After a little measureing i have found that the seat rails of the
      > Aixam and Fiat Punto are at exactly the same spaceing!..Which can
      be
      > good, but can be bad... now i have to find a way of bolting a flat
      > rail onto a round and shorter rail on the Aixam...After a bit of
      > fideling i have got one rail out of the Fiat base. i think that i
      > may use it as a template to drill the Aixam rail and bolt thro, tho
      > some way of not crushing the round tube will have to be found.. and
      > the Aixam rail is too short, so it will have to be lengthened with
      > plates of some such.... strangely when the rail came out of the
      > Fiats base so did a few little plastic balls and a yellow tube... i
      > think part of some anti submarineing system (seat moves fowards in
      > crash to limit your bodys movement)..i will have to look into that!

      Sounds like your Aixam seats were the same quality as my old
      Reliant seats, the springs in them all used to break apart till the
      seat was a metal framed uncomfortable hamock, then I used to put old
      cussions under them so that I didn't fall through!! How about you??

      best regards

      Martin

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

    • sidecar_jon
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 9, 2004
        well wifes seat is ok but mine has been destroyed but me heaveing a
        child into a rear mounted child seat, knee on my seat done the
        damage i think...dont know if my punto seats will fit but worht a
        try cos they are well robust and comfy

        --- In aixamandmicrocar@..., "virgoprestige"
        <virgoprestige@y...> wrote:

        > Sounds like your Aixam seats were the same quality as my old
        > Reliant seats, the springs in them all used to break apart till
        the
        > seat was a metal framed uncomfortable hamock, then I used to put
        old
        > cussions under them so that I didn't fall through!! How about you??
        >
        > best regards
        >
        > Martin
      • virgoprestige
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 10, 2004
          <no_reply@y...> wrote:

          > well wifes seat is ok but mine has been destroyed but me heaveing a
          > child into a rear mounted child seat, knee on my seat done the
          > damage i think...dont know if my punto seats will fit but worht a
          > try cos they are well robust and comfy
          >
          > --- I used to do the same in the Robin, kneel on the seat to reach
          into the rear seat space and yeah the wifes seat was fine! Those
          springs were seven quid each! alas no more Robins, hooked on virgo's
          now, of if I ever get rich, a Morgan, with the water cooled ohv
          Blackburn engine(I'll dream on) or maybe I'll just get an MC1 long 4
          seater. All I need is just six numbers. Any way doesn't your wifes
          seat fold down to give access to the back? my Virgo does.

          best of luck with the punto seat.

          regards

          Martin
        • sidecar_jon
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 10, 2004
            i coudl do with a lottery win too... yes both seat sort of
            paralleagram forwards... odd arangment as it looks like the Punto
            seats would do a better job by going fully fowards on the rails and
            folding the back forwards. i have my doubts that the Punto seats wil
            eventuly fit, they seem a bit wide at the top...but hope springs
            eternal ah!
          • virgoprestige
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 11, 2004
              <no_reply@y...> wrote:

              > i coudl do with a lottery win too... yes both seat sort of
              > paralleagram forwards... odd arangment as it looks like the Punto
              > seats would do a better job by going fully fowards on the rails and
              > folding the back forwards. i have my doubts that the Punto seats
              wil
              > eventuly fit, they seem a bit wide at the top...but hope springs
              > eternal ah!

              I'm not very familiar with the Aixam(how do you pronounce it?) but on
              my virgo the wshop manual says the 'floorpan' mus remain
              uncompromised 'vis if it is damaged in any way the whole shell is
              trashed. I know they are diferent cars, but check it out befor you
              drill holes anywhere eh?? The seats in the Virgo seem quite nice,
              they're very comfortable, but I don't know how well they last as this
              is the only microcar I've had and it's only two year old. I hope you
              resolve the problem okay as bad seats often create bad backs leading
              to total sense of humour loss sindrome.

              Does anyond do nitrous kits for lombardini engines?? alternativly a
              tailpipe trim wouldnt go amiss, I've seen bigger on some mopeds? but
              it is nice and quiet.

              Enjoy your weekend

              regards

              Martin
            • sidecar_jon
              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 12, 2004
                im not going to drill hole in the chassis.. tho Aixam seem to do it
                with impunity!.. the under engine insulation is blasted on with self
                tapping bolts with some brutality...the rails are bolted on bent
                tubes and im proposeing to drill into them for thro bolts to hold
                the punto rails. I have some M8 Alen bolts of the right length and
                Nylock nuts. One day i'll get round to it!
              • John Bean
                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 12, 2004
                  On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 11:58:19 -0000, sidecar_jon wrote:
                  >im not going to drill hole in the chassis.. tho Aixam seem to do it
                  >with impunity!.. the under engine insulation is blasted on with self
                  >tapping bolts with some brutality...the rails are bolted on bent
                  >tubes and im proposeing to drill into them for thro bolts to hold
                  >the punto rails. I have some M8 Alen bolts of the right length and
                  >Nylock nuts. One day i'll get round to it!

                  I think Brian's concern was that the floorpan might be structural,
                  but it isn't on the Aixam as you know, it has a "real" chassis. I
                  don't think you'll have any problems.

                  --
                  Regards

                  John Bean
                • sidecar_jon
                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 12, 2004
                    > I think Brian's concern was that the floorpan might be structural,
                    > but it isn't on the Aixam as you know, it has a "real" chassis. I
                    > don't think you'll have any problems.
                    >
                    > --
                    > Regards
                    >
                    > John Bean

                    ah yes the undertray is glued in as i found out one dark wet night
                    when i tried to jack the thing up to change a tyre!... the rails are
                    bolted to the side chasis and center bit....
                  • virgoprestige
                    Message 9 of 14 , Nov 12, 2004
                      <no_reply@y...> wrote:

                      > > I think Brian's concern was that the floorpan might be
                      structural,
                      > > but it isn't on the Aixam as you know, it has a "real" chassis. I
                      > > don't think you'll have any problems.
                      > >
                      > > --
                      > > Regards
                      > >
                      > > John Bean
                      >
                      > ah yes the undertray is glued in as i found out one dark wet night
                      > when i tried to jack the thing up to change a tyre!... the rails
                      are
                      > bolted to the side chasis and center bit....

                      That sounded like a definitive 'whoops!!' I liked the bit about
                      the 'real' chasis, obviously an ex reliant man eh?? On a more
                      technical note, drive shafts? when driving very slowly in heavy
                      traffic like not quite stopping before moving again, I get a very
                      slight clonk from the somewhere in the transmition, the only thing I
                      can find is a little loosness on the inner cv's. Or am I troubling
                      myself with nothing?? It's not a noise you get from a robin! and it
                      does drive nicely, I hope it's a noise I can ignore?? your thoughts
                      might help.

                      Who is Brian?? John.

                      Best regards 2u both

                      MARTIN!
                    • John Bean
                      Message 10 of 14 , Nov 12, 2004
                        On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 22:55:11 -0000, virgoprestige wrote:
                        >That sounded like a definitive 'whoops!!' I liked the bit about
                        >the 'real' chasis, obviously an ex reliant man eh??

                        Anything but! No, the quotes were because the Aixam isn't a chassis
                        as you might think but a full space frame cage that the body panels
                        (and floor!) get glued onto. The only stressed panel is the roof, and
                        that's a high-tech laminated composite thingie. The Aixam will pass a
                        full impact crash test like a normal car - as far as I know it's the
                        only quad that can claim this - and one of the reasons for my choice.
                        A "plastic pig" it is certainly not.

                        >Who is Brian?? John.
                        >
                        >Best regards 2u both
                        >
                        >MARTIN!

                        Sorry Martin, I get names mixed up all the time. I can't even
                        remember which Brian I confused you with now.
                        --
                        Regards

                        John Bean
                      • virgoprestige
                        Message 11 of 14 , Nov 13, 2004
                          --- In aixamandmicrocar@..., John Bean <john@w...>
                          wrote:
                          > On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 22:55:11 -0000, virgoprestige wrote:
                          > >That sounded like a definitive 'whoops!!' I liked the bit about
                          > >the 'real' chasis, obviously an ex reliant man eh??
                          >
                          > Anything but! No, the quotes were because the Aixam isn't a chassis
                          > as you might think but a full space frame cage that the body panels
                          > (and floor!) get glued onto. The only stressed panel is the roof,
                          and
                          > that's a high-tech laminated composite thingie. The Aixam will pass
                          > full impact crash test like a normal car - as far as I know it's
                          the
                          > only quad that can claim this - and one of the reasons for my
                          choice.
                          > A "plastic pig" it is certainly not.
                          >
                          > >Who is Brian?? John.
                          > >
                          > >Best regards 2u both
                          > >
                          > >MARTIN!
                          >
                          > Sorry Martin, I get names mixed up all the time. I can't even
                          > remember which Brian I confused you with now.
                          > --
                          > Regards
                          >
                          > John Bean
                          's okay John,

                          The virgo is quite different then, a fibreglass shell with steel
                          tubular inserts to reinforce it with subframes at each end, the front
                          is quite substantial, but I think I like the aixam idea better. I
                          didn't realise there were so many engine variations, it seems that
                          lombardini supply at least three models in petrol, one injected and
                          two carburated. There may well be more as my manual decribes three
                          different crank layouts and thats for the carburated engines, shame
                          they aren't as powerfull as the Robin's forty horses.

                          best regards John

                          Martin