RE: [Aixam and Microcar] Re: Misting up

  • John Jackson
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 27, 2011
      That's really odd then, I believe the radiator part No. is the same - 2R005
      though the fan is different.

      I have just reconnected the tap and made sure the knob fully opens it, DOWN
      is open on my 500's tap.
      If the heat isn't improved I may try connecting the matrix the other way
      round in case it is unable to flush the air down to the outlet. I could try
      to fill the heater "upwards" but suspect every little air bubble in the
      system will collect back in there eventually. It does in my Reliant which
      also has its heater higher than the engine.

      All the best,
      JJ.

      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 10, 2011
        Hi jem - Firstly the carpets often get damp underneath which promotes misting - poor sealing under them, around the lower rear door seal edges and even where the subframe bolts on near the front. I cured much of this by cutting the carpets so I can remove* and dry them easily (that odd underlay stuff sure holds plenty of water!! I also cleaned the floor thoroughly and painted on that stuff that cures even when damp and can repair gutters etc (often advertised in magazines and on telly).
        Next, remember these things were designed for left hand drive so the left usually demists better - I used a carpenter's shape gauge to make a couple of small deflectors and Araldited them in the slots that send air to the windscreen - angled to put more air to the right.
        Third, have a grub around in the passenger footwell. A prod about should reveal an intake hole usually blocked by soundproofing. Cutting a proper hole in the stuff will give much more airflow.
        Even with all that work they aren't that great re. misting but you should at least make things much nicer for your missus. I live in Scotland and it is very cold/damp in winter but with all that done it ain't too much of a problem now.

        * Beware - under the right side carpets are the plastic fuel lines!