Re: BIG PROBLEM:Noice and some other things

  • douglas522497
    Message 1 of 20 , Mar 31, 2012
      Unfortunately it is not adjustable. I have put in "Files" a picture called "Front variator.jpg" This is from Aixam and is exploded view of all parts.

      Parts 5 and 11 are made of special plastic and must have no wear. If they are worn the fromt variator will be loose and rattle.When you start off the car will also vibrate. So these parts and the wedges (4) must be like new to avoid this - also the belt. The shims or thin washers I was talking about before are (6) to (9) and fit where the shaft becomes thicker so inside dia= to fit over thin part and outside dia= same as thick part of shaft (I do not want to dismantle mine to give exact sizes but with the diafgram you should be able to order correct ones.
      Hope this helps

      --- In aixamandmicrocar@..., "Sparco" <alex.sparco@...> wrote:

      > Forget something
      > Is any adjustments on the variator?

    • Sparco
      Message 2 of 20 , 6 Apr 04:02
        --- In aixamandmicrocar@..., "douglas522497" <douglasboston@...> wrote:

        > Unfortunately it is not adjustable. I have put in "Files" a picture called "Front variator.jpg" This is from Aixam and is exploded view of all parts.
        >
        > Parts 5 and 11 are made of special plastic and must have no wear. If they are worn the fromt variator will be loose and rattle.When you start off the car will also vibrate. So these parts and the wedges (4) must be like new to avoid this - also the belt. The shims or thin washers I was talking about before are (6) to (9) and fit where the shaft becomes thicker so inside dia= to fit over thin part and outside dia= same as thick part of shaft (I do not want to dismantle mine to give exact sizes but with the diafgram you should be able to order correct ones.
        > Hope this helps
        >
        > --- In aixamandmicrocar@..., "Sparco" <alex.sparco@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Forget something
        > > Is any adjustments on the variator?

        Parts 5 and 11 are new made by polyamide but the variator is rattle over 70 km/h. What to change?
        The red blocks have 2 mm on the edges.What is the problem?
      • douglas522497
        Message 3 of 20 , 7 Apr 01:42
          Are you sure the rattle comes from the front variator? If you have rebuilt it so that it is not loose when the engine is stopped and it also makes the belt go as soon as you rev it then it should not be able to rattle when it is going fast - all parts pushed together hard (unless it is just because of the Polamide? but I think not.
          Perhaps instead it is the gearbox - for the changer from reverse to forward there is a lever that is trapped inside a sort of narrow pulley - 2 discs connected together. It rubs gently inside these all the time. At high speed you can hear this "singing". A sort of light rattle with also the noise you can make with a finger and a wine glass. That is loud at top speed but normal and using different oil or different amounts it is still loud. (The boxes have poor oil splash on the top bearing so it runs hot and dry. I made a tube to fit in my filler plug and then go up high above the engine. So with the breather up high I can fill enough to get the oil splashing right up to that bearing 1.25 litres).
          I think you are very clever making all those parts for yourself!

          Message 4 of 20 , 7 Apr 07:11
            Hi,
            Here is a video: http://youtu.be/RA4tQZV7qfA
            This sound starts about 70 km/h and i can hear it to 75-79 km/h the is slowing down the rattleing. A few months ago,the sounds starts at 80 km/h...
          • Sparco
            Message 5 of 20 , 7 Apr 07:13
              Forgot something...this week I watched in the gearbox and all was ok:
              http://194.88.148.41/?mmid=019d410c6d2b0c8b8a
            • douglas522497
              Message 6 of 20 , 10 Apr 12:08
                OK I have watched the video several times. It is hard to tell from it but if the noise comes sometimes at different speeds it can be the belt! I had a belt with cracks in it last winter. It sounded like a scuffing rattling noise and I thought the gearbox was breaking up inside. When it got really bad I had to drive slowly and carefully - less than 60km/h to get home and when I began to dismantle the car to get the box out I found the belt was cracked underneath where the "teeth" are. They were coming apart from the outer hard flat part and I could not believe how much noise that made.
                I still think that if the front variator is OK when stopped it is not possible for any looseness when it is at speed and pressed by the weights - UNLESS. Have you any weights that are not correctly put inside the red wedges? There is a tapered edge to each weight to stop it rubbing on the metal cone and they must all be turned to face outwards. OK one more thing - it is not good to rev the engine/variator in neutral except for a very short time: the oil is only sent round the gearbox by road speed not belt speed and the top bearings will go. There should be no free play if you grab the rear pulley and try to move it up/down or in/out.
                Looks like you are doing a big restoration on that Aixam :)

                Message 7 of 20 , 10 Apr 14:57
                  --- In aixamandmicrocar@..., "douglas522497" <douglasboston@...> wrote:

                  > OK I have watched the video several times. It is hard to tell from it but if the noise comes sometimes at different speeds it can be the belt! I had a belt with cracks in it last winter. It sounded like a scuffing rattling noise and I thought the gearbox was breaking up inside. When it got really bad I had to drive slowly and carefully - less than 60km/h to get home and when I began to dismantle the car to get the box out I found the belt was cracked underneath where the "teeth" are. They were coming apart from the outer hard flat part and I could not believe how much noise that made.
                  > I still think that if the front variator is OK when stopped it is not possible for any looseness when it is at speed and pressed by the weights - UNLESS. Have you any weights that are not correctly put inside the red wedges? There is a tapered edge to each weight to stop it rubin on the metal cone and they must all be turned to face outwards. OK one more thing - it is not good to rev the engine/variator in neutral except for a very short time: the oil is only sent round the gearbox by road speed not belt speed and the top bearings will go. There should be no free play if you grab the rear pulley and try to move it up/down or in/out.
                  > Looks like you are doing a big restoration on that Aixam :)
                  >
                  > --- In aixamandmicrocar@..., "Sparco" <alex.sparco@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Hi,
                  > > Here is a video: http://youtu.be/RA4tQZV7qfA
                  > > This sound starts about 70 km/h and i can hear it to 75-79 km/h the is slowing down the rattleing. A few months ago,the sounds starts at 80 km/h...

                  How to put the weight correct in red wedges ? The red wedges is mounted ok,because,if I will put in opposite position,they will not enter in their place...

                  One more question.I putted 1L oil in gearbox,and now my belt is slip because of oil.What to do?

                  Thank you for your opinion...tomorrow i will paint...(hood,left door,right front wing,right sideskirt,bumpers,and trunk cover)
                • John Jackson
                  Message 8 of 20 , 11 Apr 09:59
                    Hi Alex. There should be no oil coming out of the gearbox unless you have a
                    leak, or you do not have a long pipe from the filler plug on the top.
                    I made a long pipe for the filler cap and there is no loss of oil. It has
                    had 1 litre of oil for a long time. Without this pipe the Comex gearbox
                    throws oil from the top.
                    You must find the leak.
                    JJ.

                    Message 9 of 20 , 14 Apr 03:02
                      Glad it is now OK. As JJ and I said before "(The boxes have poor oil
                      splash on the top bearing so it runs hot and dry. I made a tube to fit in my
                      filler plug and then go up high above the engine. So with the breather up high I
                      can fill enough to get the oil splashing right up to that bearing 1.25 litres)." With my High level breather I have had no problems with the top bearing for years now despite a long fast drive up hills to get to work etc. I drilled the filler plug and pressed in a short piece cut from a car aerial. Onto this goes some plastic pipe and then an old inline fuel filter with the inside removed to make an expansion chamber. This is held high up by a cable tie. Remember also what I said about brakes -must be fully off when you are driving - even a little dragging costs a lot of speed and fuel economy.
                      I hope you get no trouble now - happy driving

                      --- In aixamandmicrocar@..., "Sparco" <alex.sparco@...> wrote:

                      > Forgot something...this week I watched in the gearbox and all was ok:
                      > http://194.88.148.41/?mmid=019d410c6d2b0c8b8a

                    • R J Van Kempen
                      Message 10 of 20 , 14 Apr 13:37
                        i think i have missed a lot of emails
                        im working now on a new site for the microcar holiday united kingdom
                        when it is finished i will try to set all email from here to my hotmail/live account
                        then i can talk too :p

                        ________________________________

                        Message 11 of 20 , 21 Apr 01:00
                          About 3 days ago I ansabled the rear variator correctly(Thank you JJ).1 day all was ok,no sounds,or problems.
                          Yestarday the strange sound come back.It starts from about 70 km/h and it can be heared to 80 km/h.When i relase the gas i fell vibrations in the stering wheel and gas pedal(80 km/h-70 km/h).Another problem is the starting.Is like the belt is sliping.I checked the belt and is OK.
                          What to do?PLEASE HELP ! ! !
                        • Sparco
                          Message 12 of 20 , 23 Apr 07:23
                            Forget something.The part with 3 claws
                            http://i1094.photobucket.com/albums/i445/sparcopro/big_variateurbv_GF.jpg
                            http://i1094.photobucket.com/albums/i445/sparcopro/rearpulley23.jpg
                            was cracked where the red line is.I welded it ,but the metal part that holds in place has a clareance.
                            The rattleing from the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RA4tQZV7qfA is comming from rear variator(I tested the front variator).

                            Can the clareance be the reason for that sound?