Front Pulley Bearing Replacement

  • jennifertebbutt
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 15, 2013
      Hi Again!

      I'm trying in vain to replace the front pulley bearing. The problem I have is that the fixed flange has a curved edge and it keeps opening the jaws of the puller making it impossible to remove. I presume the tool they use locks the legs of the puller so they can't splay out, but mine don't have this feature. Has anyone come across a simple solution to this that doesn't involve splashing out on an expensive puller with lockable legs?

      I was thinking of putting an oil filter remover tool around the legs might work but there might be a better way.

      Thanks
    • thrashcan_bob
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 16, 2013
        One of the simplest solutions, although not really the safest to do, is to get a large jubilee clip or a handful of really strong cable ties and slide it down over the legs when they are set to the right position to stop them from opening any farther. The only problem with it is, if the pulley is on tight enough, it is possible to split a jubilee clip, which then leads to the puller jumping off the pulley at much greater force and possibly causing damage to other parts etc. In an emergency or as a last resort? it might get you out of a fix but it's not the most recommended of ideas.
        Failing that, if you get on well with your local garage, you could ask if you could borrow one, I've got a really good garage by me and he knows I'm not going to keep his tools (well he does know where I live so the chances of doing a moonlight flit for the sake of a trolley jack hardly seems worth the effort) so he doesn't mind on the odd occasion.
        Regards, Adam.

        --- In aixamandmicrocar@..., "jennifertebbutt" wrote:

        > Hi Again!
        >
        > I'm trying in vain to replace the front pulley bearing. The problem I have is that the fixed flange has a curved edge and it keeps opening the jaws of the puller making it impossible to remove. I presume the tool they use locks the legs of the puller so they can't splay out, but mine don't have this feature. Has anyone come across a simple solution to this that doesn't involve splashing out on an expensive puller with lockable legs?
        >
        > I was thinking of putting an oil filter remover tool around the legs might work but there might be a better way.
        >
        > Thanks

      • johnnyfoamfive
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 16, 2013