B1

  • david173246
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 7, 2013
      I see that once again the same arguments from the same people are re-appearing. Whilst KK may or may not be correct, that part of the legislation applies solely to the B1 in the context of Quads. As will be noted in previous posts and without relating to quads the B1 also covers Any Three or Four wheel vehicles providing that the weight restrictions apply - 550 Kg's, There is no power restriction mentioned.

      When I stated this a few years ago I was told, in these columns, by the same poster, that I was wrong and in spite of the wording on the Licensing Agencies website I was also told quite forcefully that they were wrong as well. I had also the personal wording from a DVLA supervisor - signed by her, that I was CORRECT. I always carry the e-mail from the DVLA around with me to show police officers when I have had a document check when I was driving my vintage Austin Seven around. They were baffled by the B1 designation but on referring it to a senior officer I was allowed on my way. The kerbside weight of the vehicle was 510 kg's !

      Seconds out - round two. :)

      Dave.
    • douglas522497
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 8, 2013
        So then to summarise everything -

        My 1975 full bike licence allows me to drive any size/power of motorcycle (any monster engined special or 180 mph superbike) and any power of 3 or 4 wheeler up to half a ton weight. (I am far too sensible to do that though - at my age I would be up a tree somewhere)

        More modern full bike licences won't necessarily allow all of that.

        Altering (the powertrain, control systems or anything that is MOT tested) of any vehicle from standard will take it out of "type approval" meaning that it becomes a one-off special and needs to be tested and treated by the DVLA, Police etc as such. (Obviously doesn't mean taping up a loose wire, re-covering a seat or putting a teddy bear inside!)

        No argument about any of this - is there?
      • tankie88
        Message 3 of 5 , 9 Nov

          Her indoors drives her  Aixam on a B1.She just had a e mail from her insureance company stating she can no longer drive on her B1.Has the law changed?

        • tankie88
          Message 4 of 5 , 9 Nov

            Her indoors drives her Aixam on a B1.Her insurance company e mailed her to say she can no longer drive on a B1 and geven here 7 days to prove otherwise.Has the law changed??

          • malcolmthemole
            Message 5 of 5 , 12 Nov
              NO it hasn't

              the problem is that many insurers won't insure a B1

              My wifes is insured at Admiral.... it was slightly higher than some when it was taken out but it halved on renewal and dropped 10% this year.

              there was an oddity.... it had to be insured as provisional licence because almost no insurer will accept a B1 as full "car" licence and do not insure motorbikes (admiral say they insure bikes but still don't accept B1).... This was Admirals advice.... but they then added a note that it was a full licence on the categories allowed (treat a B1 as a full licence in a microcar/ aixam)

              the new "moped" car, sparrow etc have muddied the waters even more.

              we are insured fully comp... NO excess... £50 standard excess (means max payable by us is £50 for any claim) £75 glass.... £1000 contents.

              On day 1 she (I was in the passenger seat) had a bad accident and complete write-off (its in a post on here)... Admiral paid out without any arguments and paid 50% more than we bought it for... I couldn't fault them.... hire car supplied until payout and money in bank very quickly.... note it was a standard DS2 car... so she couldn't drive it (I did) as they couldn't source a B1.. but would have supplied a fireblade.

              Admiral then asked if we wanted to transfer the policy to a new car... we did as I bought one for spares at the same time... they charged nothing for the swap-over and even transfered the whole policy without any increase (protected policy) see above

              as an addition..... she didn't originally have any no-claims but was on my merc policy as a named additional (provisional.. learner) driver.... and used this to give her the full no-claims discount and insure it as "protected" i.e no bonus loss for up to 3 claims.

              in our case it was well worth the initially higher premium from a major insurer... adrian flux offered a basic policy with very high excess at over double what we paid Admiral

              malcolm