ALPY crab

  • alunhalsey
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 14, 2017

      Since getting the Lhires III I felt I was neglecting my ALPY 600 so had a session with it attached to my 150ED Apo refractor (f7) a couple of nights ago. One of the many targets was M1 the Crab nebula,which was an attempt to capture the Doppler effect due to the fast moving gasses. Took 6 images at 600secs each with 23um slit and 314L,using a QHY5L-II as guide camera. Have posted the image of the captured spectra to my folder in the photos section.

        Regards

            Alun

    • andyjwilson_uk
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 14, 2017
        Fascinating image Alun! You can clearly see the Doppler shift in the spectrum lines from different parts of the nebula.
        Cheers,
        Andy
      • pbrowne2016
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 14, 2017

          Hi Alun,
          Interesting image! Not familiar with the Alpy - Question: What grating did you use?
          Also, would you happen to have a graph of the image?

          thanks
          ./pat

          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 15, 2017
            Thank you Andy,will attempt to apply the math (not my strong point!) and see if I can work out the speed/amount of shift :)

                 Regards

                    Alun
          • alunhalsey
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 15, 2017
              Hi Pat,

                   Thank you,the Alpy uses a 600l/mm transmission grating and prism (4* I think) to form a grism.
               I have attempted to produce a profile in BASS,but the background lines are more dominant and drown out the
               image of the crab nebula. Will persevere with it though and try to produce something :)

                  Regards

                     Alun
            • andyjwilson_uk
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 15, 2017
                In case it helps here is the formula you need to convert a wavelength shift into a Doppler shift velocity.

                Doppler shift velocity =(wavelength shift / rest wavelength) * speed of light

                For example a 1 Angstrom shift at H-alpha 6563 Angstroms:

                (1 / 6563) *300000 = 46 km/s

                Cheers,
                Andy

                ---In astrobodger@..., <ALUN@...> wrote :

                Thank you Andy,will attempt to apply the math (not my strong point!) and see if I can work out the speed/amount of shift :)

                     Regards

                        Alun
              • astrobodger
                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 17, 2017
                  Hi Alun

                  Abroad at moment with limited access.

                  Nice capture of m1. Should be able to subtract most of the sky pollution if smile corrected. There is a velocity calc tutorial you can look at under links menu.

                  There is also a doppler util screen that uses the calc Andy provided.

                  Cheers John