Re: bus contract areas discussion

  • Clay
    Message 1 of 12 , 1 Jul 00:01
      --- In autdb@e..., "Derek Cheng" <ausbus@o...> wrote:
      > So does anyone know how come Harris Park 623 can still pick up
      right
      > below the M2 at Oakes Road?

      If I remember correctly, Westbus purchased the rights to use the
      Oakes Road and Barclay Road stops from Harris Park Transport, as
      these are in HPT's area. Presumably it was a condition of sale that
      HPT could still pick up at stops on the existing streets of the area.
    • Glen Hunter
      Message 2 of 12 , 1 Jul 15:06
        --- In autdb@e..., "Derek Cheng" <ausbus@o...> wrote:
        > So does anyone know how come Harris Park 623 can still pick up
        right
        > below the M2 at Oakes Road?

        Because the 623 operates in the Harris Park contract area which has
        existed long before the M2 was built.

        The defintion of competition under the Transport Act is that a
        service cannot be "sufficiently proximate" that it will
        cause "substantial competition" with an existing operator.

        Clearly the 610s are serving quite a different market to the 623
        running Parramatta - Beecroft.

        Glen
      • Derek Cheng
        Message 3 of 12 , 1 Jul 16:26
          > Because the 623 operates in the Harris Park contract area which has
          > existed long before the M2 was built.
          >
          > The defintion of competition under the Transport Act is that a
          > service cannot be "sufficiently proximate" that it will
          > cause "substantial competition" with an existing operator.
          >
          > Clearly the 610s are serving quite a different market to the 623
          > running Parramatta - Beecroft.

          Well, aren't Metrolink routes there 'long before' the Transitway is
          built? I just can't understand.

          In a way, I think 610s will take passengers off the 623. Not that
          anyone is likely to do it, but one could used to catch 623 to
          Beecroft then a train to the City, and of course in these days the
          610 will favour.
        • Glen Hunter
          Message 4 of 12 , 3 Jul 06:59
            --- In autdb@e..., "Derek Cheng" <ausbus@o...> wrote:
            > In a way, I think 610s will take passengers off the 623. Not that
            > anyone is likely to do it, but one could used to catch 623 to
            > Beecroft then a train to the City, and of course in these days the
            > 610 will favour.

            Many people used to catch 623s (formerly 181s) from Carlingford /
            North Rocks to Beecroft - I used to commute to the City this way in
            the early 1980s.

            Then the 590 (later 630) Red Arrow offered a faster service to Epping
            and now the 610 to the City is like a railway for the people of West
            Pennant Hills Valley.

            The 623 (old 181) has always been a poor service and has virtually
            not changed in the 20 years since I first caught it.

            Glen
          • Glen Hunter
            Message 5 of 12 , 3 Jul 07:01
              --- In autdb@e..., "Derek Cheng" <ausbus@o...> wrote:

              > Well, aren't Metrolink routes there 'long before' the Transitway is
              > built? I just can't understand.

              For whatever reason the Government is determined to construct the
              Transitway.

              Even though Metrolink successfully challeged the Transitway under the
              Transport Act, it is quite obvious that if the Govenment doesn't get
              its' way under the present rules, they just change the rules.

              The funny thing is I can't find anybody who likes the Transitway.

              The BCA is dead against it and the greenies don't like it either.

              So who does want it?

              Glen