Re: Chicken or the egg?

  • westbus2001
    Message 1 of 5 , May 1, 2002
      --- In autdb@y..., "crafaud" <c.rafaud@s...> wrote:
      > --- In autdb@y..., "adriano_dessanti" <dessanti@o...> wrote:
      >
      > > Take a look at two university bus routes- route 333 from
      Parramatta

      > By contrast Westbus route 780 started off with an infrequent
      hourly
      > service to the UWS Penrith campuses and gained loads which
      fluctuated
      > wildly but over time trended downwards with poor patronage on off
      > peak services. The response? Fewer services even though the
      > route is better designed then it was 5 years ago. And the
      > demographics are not different to route 333. The service caters
      > mainly to UWS and TAFE students from not too wealthy backgrounds.
      >
      > If they had at least trialed a high frequency service like
      Riverside
      > did at Parramatta and have at least half hourly off peak services
      > theycould have got high loadings and adjust accordingly.
      >
      > Another reason why route 780 is not well patronised is that the
      UWS actually run their own bus service to and from Kingswood
      Station. In fact there are usually two in peak times run by
      Interlines low floor Csepels - 35 seaters or thereabouts. During
      morning and afternoon peaks they run a loop around the campus and
      across to Kingswood Rail. Students only need their ID cards.
    • crafaud
      Message 2 of 5 , May 2, 2002
        --- In autdb@y..., "westbus2001" <busman@s...> wrote:

        > > Another reason why route 780 is not well patronised is that the
        > UWS actually run their own bus service to and from Kingswood
        > Station. In fact there are usually two in peak times run by
        > Interlines low floor Csepels - 35 seaters or thereabouts. During
        > morning and afternoon peaks they run a loop around the campus and
        > across to Kingswood Rail. Students only need their ID cards.

        The story with the UWS loop service is a bit complicated. Unless
        there has been any change from what I remember, it runs to Kingswood
        rail until the first 780 service starts and then only after 5.30pm
        (or the last 780 service) because of an arrangement with Westbus that
        they won't unfairly impact on route 780 patronage.

        During the day usingthe two Csepels, Interline runs a loop around UWS
        providing a short wait of only 10 minutes from any stop inside the
        campus. At any one time there could be up to 30 students on board or
        as little 3 or 4.

        Route 780 is not a loop service as such. It runs up to Werrington
        side of the campus from St Marys comes back onto Gt Western Hwy and
        then into Second Avenue stopping in front of the Kingswood campus and
        then onto Penrith. It is the only service currently that links St
        Marys and Penrith to two parts (but not all sections) of the campus.

        While it doesn't run alongside the Interline route to the back
        section of UWS, it could be made more effective if the frequency was
        increased substantially. People don't mind changing buses if the wait
        is convenient.

        Another Westbus route, 790 is half hourly service and stops in front
        of the Kinsgwood campus(Second Avenue) but doesn't run near the
        Werrington side. It takes an extra five minutes because of a longer
        run taking in Claremont Meadows.

        The campus itself is not well planned being split on both sides of
        the Gt Western Hwy and also on land in Kingswood with large blocks of
        land between buildings. The ideal route is one that combines both the
        Interline and Westbus route linking St Marys and Penrith with a
        regular frequency. But don't expect any changes soon.

        Clint