BARGEs General Meeting: Tuesday 3 March 6.30pm

  • Barry Mason
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 1, 2009
      At Bede Centre, Abbeyfield Road, SE16 2BS. Here:
      http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=535277&Y=178757&A=Y&Z=110

      Please get along to this and tell your friends too. A lot of people are
      now aware of our group and it's now time to share the tasks out, plan
      more events, and agree the general way forward. And why do you want to
      discuss and get on with?

      The draft agenda as I see it is as follows:

      *Introductions
      *Progress so far
      *Now what for www.barges.me.uk
      *Surveying/mapping our green spaces
      *BARGEs Management Team (name?)positions/jobs:
      Coordinator
      Secretary (sadly, we're losing Mairi Mills soon - she's done loads)
      Treasurer (we've already got a couple of hundred banked!)
      Events/Projects Manager
      Who else?
      *Venue for our meetings
      *Future events already on:
      5 March: 5.30pm London Parks and Green Spaces Forum, Natural England.
      14 March:Wild Food at Stave Hill Ecological Park
      What else
      Any other business?
      Aiming to end no later than 8.30pm

      Anything else to add? See you on Tuesday.

      Barry
      07905 889 005
    • Laura Ivill
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 1, 2009
        Hi Barry

        I'd like to set up a Friends of Bermondsey Village Parks to include:
        Leathermarket Gardens, Guy Street Park, Tanner Street Park and Mary Magdelan Church Yard Gardens. Primarily to warn prospective developers - hands off! Could we park ourselves under the Barges umbrella? How might this work.

        best wishes
        Laura

        Barry Mason <barrymasonuk@...> wrote:
[...]

        <*> Your email settings:
        Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
        (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
        mailto:barges-digest@...
        mailto:barges-fullfeatured@...

        http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/info/terms.html

      • katie nicholls
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 1, 2009
          Hi Laura
          These parks fall within the Bermondsey Community Council area and so are on the BARGEs 'patch'. This will probably be covered by the mapping group but no harm in defining areas and listing the parks and other open spaces at a general meeting?
          I have sent a Parks database to Barry/Mairi in the past.

          Best
          Katie
          ps Parks does not have a remit to sell off land to developers - well, that is genreally true at least!

          http://uk.groups. yahoo.com/ group/barges/ join

          mailto:barges- digest@yahoogrou ps.co.uk
          mailto:barges- fullfeatured@ yahoogroups. co.uk

          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 1, 2009
            That would be excellent and is precisely what BARGEs is about.

            Let's discuss this tomorrow.

            Best wishes.

            Barry
            07905 889 005

            Laura Ivill wrote:

            > Hi Barry
            >
            > I'd like to set up a Friends of Bermondsey Village Parks to include:
            > Leathermarket Gardens, Guy Street Park, Tanner Street Park and Mary
            > Magdelan Church Yard Gardens. Primarily to warn prospective developers -
            > hands off! Could we park ourselves under the Barges umbrella? How might
            > this work.
            >
            > best wishes
            > Laura
            >
            > */Barry Mason <barrymasonuk@...>/* wrote:
            >
            > At Bede Centre, Abbeyfield Road, SE16 2BS. Here:
            > http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=535277&Y=178757&A=Y&Z=110
            >
            > Please get along to this and tell your friends too. A lot of people are
            > now aware of our group and it's now time to share the tasks out, plan
            > more events, and agree the general way forward. And why do you want to
            > discuss and get on with?
            >
            > The draft agenda as I see it is as follows:
            >
            > *Introductions
            > *Progress so far
            > *Now what for www.barges.me.uk
            > *Surveying/mapping our green spaces
            > *BARGEs Management Team (name?)positions/jobs:
            > Coordinator
            > Secretary (sadly, we're losing Mairi Mills soon - she's done loads)
            > Treasurer (we've already got a couple of hundred banked!)
            > Events/Projects Manager
            > Who else?
            > *Venue for our meetings
            > *Future events already on:
            > 5 March: 5.30pm London Parks and Green Spaces Forum, Natural England.
            > 14 March:Wild Food at Stave Hill Ecological Park
            > What else
            > Any other business?
            > Aiming to end no later than 8.30pm
            >
            > Anything else to add? See you on Tuesday.
            >
            > Barry
            > 07905 889 005

          • Mairi Mills
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 2, 2009
              Hi Barry,

              Thanks for sending this. I have more news though! We met with Darryl on
              Friday, and against all expectations he's kept funding for mine and Katie's
              posts to continue for another year! Although the BARGEs network can be
              self-sustaining in lots of ways, we'd also argued that more of the support
              services around (e.g. SEF, Sustainable Schools, etc) are looking for more
              involvement from groups that there isn't capacity for, so it's agreed I can
              continue some role with the network.

              I want to do this better, and one thing Nick suggested as my line manager is
              to look at my terms of reference to the network. Maybe we could start to
              talk about this tomorrow, but he's offered to meet with us to help get it
              really clear.

              A thought I had about the Green Event 10th/ 11th July, at least the
              Saturday, was that it could be a good chance for groups to network with each
              other if they attend, i.e that it could meet some of the needs of members,
              which is what we need activities to do. But my point about capacity still
              remains, so if the officers come to talk to the meeting tomorrow, I think
              it's legitimate for the groups to discuss what their commitment to the
              events can be before confirming. Additionally, as I'll still be here, I
              could attend the Friday event with a brief from members who can't attend -
              or whatever approach is useful. Please include on the agenda anyway!

              Also re Agenda, some of the roles are about communications rather than
              events I think, as some of the activities spin out of the contacts. So, I
              think there must be two or even three secretarial roles: meetings;
              membership including people not on email; + communications with outside
              bodies in between meeting. This probably isn't a comprehensive list, but
              if we struggle, what about a subgroup to work on it?

              Re meetings venues, Tenda Road is another venue which can be used if we book
              it.

              See you tomorrow!

              Best wishes,
              Mairi