1699Re: [bmw e28] 1986 535i electrical issue and will not start.

  • second-shot
    Aug 19, 2003
      --- In bmwe28@..., john macdonald <johnmacdon@b...>
      wrote:
      > second-shotjohn macdonald18/8/03 11:58
      > AMgolfpro@m...@...
      >
      > New battery, good connections. Everything works but sunroof and
      > windows. Mainly lookin for best order to solve no starting problem
      > first. I felt like squirting a little petrol into the intake to see
      > if it would start that way. Then perhaps I would see that it is fuel
      > related if it does start...Sound reasonable...???
      >
      > --- In bmwe28@..., marc dickerson <maddog_07_60@y...>
      > wrote:
      > > remove the rotocap on the distributorhave someone look
      > > to see if the inside of the roto moveingwhen you crank
      > > the engine if it doesn't move could be timing chain or
      > > check your postive cable on your battery might not be
      > > to tight or corroded and my need to replace it
      > > --- second-shot <golfpro@m...> wrote:
      > > > I just bought a 535i for 300 bucks. Car looks
      > > > excellent outside,
      > > > inside good. I had to put new battery in for
      > > > electrical check up. No
      > > > power windows, and no sunroof.
      > > > Motor turns over but this 535i will not start.
      > > > Maybe out of gas.{lol} Did not hear fuel pump engage
      > > > on ignition
      > > > position 1 so that was curious. Anyway I am aware of
      > > > the possible
      > > > number of trial and errors ahead but will someone
      > > > give me a first do
      > > > list for best and most cost effective procedures.
      > > > This car was driven
      > > > daily for many years, then one morning it simply
      > > > would not start and
      > > > has been sitting for 18 months. All help is
      > > > tremendously appreciated.
      > > > I have been told to thoroughly clean the gas tank or
      > > > replace it
      > > > first!!

      > <http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/info/terms.html> .
      >
      > I know this seems very simple but replace the fuses for the windows
      and
      > sunroof even if they look good I had a lot of trouble with old
      fuses so when
      > ever I haev an electrical problem of any sort I do this first and
      its easy
      > Yes many of the fuses look horrible. I will do that today. Also I
      will check the rotor and the spark to the plugs. If I have power to
      the plugs then perhaps I will squirt a bit of petrol into the intake
      and see what happens.
      Thanx alot for your helpful input, it means alot to me. I have had 4
      bimmers and 95% of the work done on them has been by me. But I never
      quit chatting with others to keep me sharp. 2 heads are 10 times more
      powerful than 1.....
      Bill