1727Re: [bmw e28] Re: oil change type of oil

  • john macdonald
    Aug 22, 2003
      Thanks for that I do find them brilliant and as you say its cheaper the
      engines should run forever
      On Friday, August 22, 2003, at 08:51 PM, sfj642 wrote:

      > John,
      >
      > I agree with you completely - almost !
      >
      > I have used Castrol and Mobil fully synthetic oils alsmost since they
      > came out.  My VW Golf did over 100,000 miles with me with no engine
      > trouble and was still going at 150,000;  My Morris Ital (1300cc so
      > worked very hard) also did 150,000 from new before rust saw it off.
      > My 1956 Rover 90 did over 100,000 miles in ten years 1990-2000 with
      > never a hint of engine trouble and it is now up to 220,000.  Both
      > BMW's have fully synthetic oils with no problem.
      >
      > The only place I disagree with you is that I rarely change the oil
      > once it is installed - Mobil reckon on 25,000 or two years between
      > changes anyway.  I DO change the filters at recommended intervals and
      > just top-up to replace the oil lost at the time. So I think you are
      > wasting money changing it as often as you do.
      >
      > Try the thumb and finger test if you don't believe me !
      >
      > From the major manufacturers at least, fully synthetic oils are
      > excellent, the engines run smoother, possibly faster (less friction)
      > and as I have proved, last forever !  So I reckon that it is CHEAPER
      > to run on synthetic, NOT more costly.
      >
      > Just my thoughts ....
      >
      > Regards from Jim Butterworth
      > 1984 528i SE auto
      > 1988 318i auto
      >

      > --- In bmwe28@..., john macdonald <johnmacdon@b...>
      > wrote:
      > > john mac
      > >
      > > I change the oil in my 528 every 2000-3000klms and I always use
      > mobil 1
      > > synthetic or castrol R 10-60 synthetic the car has done 300000klms
      > and
      > > I feel it is good insurance to pamper the old girl especially as it
      > is
      > > a manual and I still like to give it a little stick and about
      > 50000klms
      > > ago I had some trouble with one of the rings sticking which cured
      > > itself but ever since then I have gone to this expensive oil and
      > have
      > > had no trouble although I was using a half synthetic before, do I
      > need
      > > to?

      <image.tiff>

      john macdonald architectural illustrator
      john-macdonald@...
      www.users.bigpond.com/john-macdonald/
      phone 612 9949 6397
      fax 612 9948 6284