2347Ignition barrell (keyswitch) problem

  • Iain Simpson
    Apr 20, 2004
      Yep, I've gone and done it, snapped the key in the ignition.
      Approximately 2/3 of the key is now lodged in the barrell. I didn't
      think this would be a problem so I phoned my local locksmith to see
      if they could extract the key. I'm told they can only do this if the
      iginition will still turn, but in my case the steering lock is on, so
      it doesn't. Does anyone know if this is correct?

      So now your all saying why not just replace the iginition barrell?
      Well to do so you have to remove the steering wheel, trouble is the
      steering wheel can't be removed while the steering lock is on!!

      So 2 questions really :-

      Can the key be extracted without turning the ignition?

      if not,

      Can the steering wheel be removed without dis-engaging the steering
      lock.

      Or if anyone else has any ideas how I might solve this problem please
      let me know!!

      Iain

      (Oh by the way, its a UK spec 518i, if that matters)
    • Show all 3 messages in this topic