2379Re: front end shimmy.

  • sheetfar
    May 12, 2004
      Andy,

      PROBLEM:
      The Germans have a design flaw in the e28 series. The front end
      tends to shake from 60 to 45 mph under light to moderate braking. As
      parts wear, the car will shake without the excitation from braking.
      In other words, left unchanged, the problem will get worse and go
      from a minor irritation to a situation that affects confidence and,
      in some cases, safety.

      SOLUTION:
      Replace both upper control arm bushings (those towards the rear of
      the car) with new ones made for the 1988 750iL with the v12 engine.
      The BMW part number is 31 12 1 136 607. You can get these online for
      a small price. The v12 bushing will have to be modified in order to
      fit into the e28 chassis. I have a detailed drawing available with
      the dimensions that I used on two of my e28 BMW's, if you wish to do
      this.

      THEORY:
      Technically, the v12 bushings are stiffer than the existing ones
      designed for the e28. Consequently, the v12 bushings reduce the
      amount of the shaking (amplitude) and make the vibrations, if any,
      take place between 74 to about 60 mph (increase in resonant
      frequency).

      -Russell

      --- In bmwe28@..., milkandcereal10 <no_reply@y...>
      wrote:
      > hey guys.
      >
      > i've got an '85 535i that has a horrible shimmy up
      > front when i approach 45 miles per hour. i've had both
      > right and left lower tie rods replaced and the idler
      > arm and bushing with it. the whole front end really
      > shakes hard when i hit between 45 and 50 mph. i do
      > have hartge 16 inch rims on it. they've been on the
      > car the 3 years i've had it. would that cause the
      > shimmy? anyone ever run into this problem? thanks.
      >
      > andy.
    • Show all 5 messages in this topic