2393Re: [bmw e28] RE: Re: Metal Brake and Fuel line size(s)

  • iain@535se.co.uk
    May 14, 2004
      I think you'd be surprised by just how durable copper brake lines can be.
      Certainly they are easy to shape and flexible enough to bend around obsticles
      etc. I agree that differential metal corrosion could be an issue given enough
      time, but I know of a vahicle that had a set of copper brake lines installed
      in 1982 (a w115 series merc) and they are still solid today.

      Having said that if you can get stainless cheaply and maufactured to the
      required shape etc then go for it.

      Iain

      "Doug Dykaar" <ddykaar@...> wrote:

      > Iain,
      >
      > Copper sounds a little soft to me, not to mention issues of differential
      > metal corrosion. Must not rain where you live...
      >
      > I can get metal tubing at the auto local parts store, but I may have a line
      > on stainless for cheap. The automec site didn't much, well any real
      > information.
      >
      > Regards,
      >
      > doug

      > _
      >
      > Doug,
      >
      > A popular option is to replace your Brake lines with Copper, which can
      > normally be bought off the shelf and is a standard size. I am not sure what
      > the diameters are for the Fuel lines and I suspect that getting something
      > suitable in stainless is going to be very expensive.
      >
      > There is a firm in the UK called automec (www.automec.co.uk) who sell brake
      > line kits for most cars. A set suitable for a 535 would be around £50
      > sterling so I guess around $90 - 95US.
      >
      > Iain

      > http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/info/terms.html

    • Show all 5 messages in this topic