2458e28. No start, look into sensors.

  • purplehead2002
    Jun 12, 2004
      I was directed in the direction by a gentleman out there on this
      site to look into testing my speed and crankshaft sensors as my 83
      BMW 528e would not start.
      The problem with my vehicle is that I was not getting a signal
      at the coil tower, in essence, no signal sent to it to send a spark
      to any of the spark plugs. The fuel pump(independent of all of this)
      was sending fuel, so the relays were(main and fuel) somewhat out of
      the picture as a cause of this problem.
      Get yourself a "Haynes" manual for these vehicles and you will
      see step by step in how to test (in general) all of the sensors on
      your vehicle. The crank and speed sensor(same part #.) are tested by
      using an ohmmeter, it's very straight forward.
      Sure enough, one of my sensors was not working properly and when
      I changed it out, the car started! I hope this message helps someone
      out there as it was a pain in the butt trying to figure out where to
      start.

      Joel T. Gonzalez
      San Antonio, TX. (U.S.A.)